• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently got a subscription to this but I dunno what to really listen to.

I'm listening to "Japanese Society and History" and it's really good so far. It's 17hrs worth of audio so it'll keep me going for a while.

What else is good? I like history of the world type stuff, history of gaming, horror stuff, ancient history like before BC. Erm I probably like other stuff too which I can't tho k of right now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if you have any love or ironic love for the film The Room, The Disaster Artist is a great audiobook and imo much better than its film adaptation

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Audible is the shit I listen to an absurd amount every day at work. I've been listening to the stormlight archives, if you like fantasy with a unique twist and a super in depth world it's great but each book is like 45-50 hours long but theres only 3 so far.

Best thing to do though is just try shit out using credits and dont be afraid to return anything, they have a 365 day return policy with pretty much no questions asked and with credits it instantly refunds it to your audible account

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Limmy-events_jacket.jpg

He had me in stitches throughout it, highly recommended.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Audiobooks just aren't for me, but I used my free trial credit on an unabridged version of "Dune", which has a full cast of voice actors for each character. Extremely well produced.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
some more murder mystery recommendations, there's various excellent Hercule Poirot audiobooks read by Hugh Fraser and David Suchet

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Audible produced version of Dracula remains one of my personal favorites. It's a full cast production that includes Alan Cumming and Tim Curry as well as many others.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I seem to have most of the Culture series by Iain Banks on Audible. Peter Kenny is a pretty good voice actor with a wide range. His Mahrai Ziller is a masterful invocation of the spirit of Noel Coward.

Last edited:

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

The Disappearing spoon is an absolutely fantastic book about the discovery of each element. It's more history than science (tho it does get slightly more technical as it goes up the perodic table into the man made elements), but it's told so well. The narrator is perfect for the perfect for the book, as he sounds a lot like what I expect a professor in college would sound like. Highly recommended.

The Poisoner's handbook is about the development of forensic toxicology in early 20th century New York. It's a straight forward narrative as it starts in the early 20th century, and ends around the 1930's. It talks about various poisons, as well as stuff like leaded gasoline, carbon monoxide poisoning, and prohibition. And I really like the narrator, even tho she pronounces buried strangely.

Helter Skelter is what I consider the definitive account of the Manson Murders. Especially with the 50th anniversary coming up in august, it's probably the best time to listen to it. I've listened to it multiple times, and it's still a great listen. I don't recommend this as whole heartedly as the other two, since it may not appeal to everyone, but if you're at all interested in true crime, this is one of the best. And the narrator is amazing.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
The Bobiverse trilogy (first book is We Are Legion, We Are Bob) is fun sci-fi and the narrator is great! Also can second the Aliens and Dune suggestions above.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Not amazing books by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoy the audiobooks for the Off To Be The Wizard series. The narrator is fantastic. I much preferred it to Ready Player One.

We Are Legion I didn't much care for. There are far too many Bob characters and the narrator doesn't do a good job of differentiating them.

Whatever you do, avoid Ender's Game. It has the worst narrator I've ever heard.

I'd also highly recommend Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Such an interesting take on the future of AR.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
books?

sorry i had to. For me i listen to what i would normally read, since i can't read in the car or read while i excercise. Im about to finish the Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and its been really good.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I had two free credits come a trial that Amazon gave me so far some reason. I picked up Michelle Obama's book and Trevor Noah's. I hope those were worth it? At least it's their own narration. I saw that Educated is a very popular title, but I think I would rather read it

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is great. He does a really good job of reading it, I finished it a few months ago.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Bobiverse series has been recommended so much I just wanted to point out they have whispersnyc available. That means you can buy the Audible version for a reduced price ($1.99 in this case) if you own the Kindle version. They are also free under Kindle Unlimited. So if you don't wanna use credits, sign up for a free trial of Kindle Unlimited, and download the kindle version. Then you can buy the Audible version for only $1.99.

There are quite a few good series this works with, Off To Be The Wizard, Expeditionary Force, etc.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Disaster Artist - the true story of the making of the movie "The Room" - is fantastic. It's narrated by the author and co-star of the film itself, Greg Sestero. His impression of Tommy Wiseau makes the whole ridiculous tale even better.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
If you enjoy mythology I suggest Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology audiobook.
I prefer listening to the stories over reading them because the myths have that sort of campfire style of storytelling.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Audiobooks just aren't for me, but I used my free trial credit on an unabridged version of "Dune", which has a full cast of voice actors for each character. Extremely well produced.
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is great. He does a really good job of reading it, I finished it a few months ago.
Norse Mythology by Nail Gaiman, I believe he reads it himself.
Yeah these are really great , Dune in particular is incredible

Jan 13, 2018
You can save some bucks by using the Libby app, which lets you check out audiobooks for free from your local Public Library from the comfort of your home. Depending on your library, there might be a smaller selection (and a few weeks wait on newer audiobook titles), but you won't be saddled with any ongoing subscriptions to pony up for.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
American Gods is good. Full cast with Gaiman as well. Also all of the Game of Thrones books. RIP Roy Dotrice.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I have downloaded the Borrowbox app but it can't find my local library. Do you know if it should work with all libraries in in the UK?

I know little about it. If your library can't be found, you could contact the library to see if they support the app. There is also a support email on the website which you could use to find out exactly how they operate and if every British library is covered. I only heard about the app because it was being advertised one day when I was at my library, which is Sunderland Public Libraries.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I know little about it. If your library can't be found, you could contact the library to see if they support the app. There is also a support email on the website which you could use to find out exactly how they operate and if every British library is covered. I only heard about the app because it was being advertised one day when I was at my library, which is Sunderland Public Libraries.
I'll send them a message, thanks.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all these recommendations will check them out. I do love mythology and factual stuff too from history.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're into movies and behind the scenes stuff: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls
It's about the transition from musicals to blockbusters that took place over a decade, and the intervening period where Hollywood directors fancied themselves "auteurs".

If you're into history in general: The Travels of Marco Polo and Nathaniel's Nutmeg

The former is obviously the accounts of Marco Polo's travels through central Asia and China. The latter is about the Anglo-Dutch war over the Indonesian Spice Islands. It's very short, but grants some insight as to how such a relatively minor conflict had enormous effects.

If you want some good fiction stories, The Expanse series and The Witcher series are excellently written and near perfectly narrated apart from book 4 of The Expanse where they normal narrator was unavailable.