• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've recently decided to play through my backlog and I've finally reached Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, and I was reminded why I feel in love so quickly all these years ago when I first booted this game in my PS1: The Balamb Garden.
Many starting areas in RPGs can be a huge hit(FFIX) or a miss(Legend of Legaia, yeah, I don't like Rim Elm, don't @ me) and as a kid it was really important that the game got my attention from the get go, since as a child my attention span was terrible and I had to play RPGs with a dictionary beside me, but FFVIII was something else.
Obligatory play:

Without spoiling much, the Balamb Garden is a military school specialized at training SeeDs(a special mercenary class in the FFVIII world), but oh boy, it's not a basic school map, the place is HUGE.
To get you acquainted with the area, the game makes you show the school to Selphie and explain the main facilities. The level of realism the devs strived for in this game with a more mature aproach, made the Garden feel functional and alive.

balamb_garden___1st_floor_map__final_fantasy_viii__by_kaspar03_d6bmaeb-fullview.png

There's a set of rules listed on the Study Panel, listening what you can and cannot do in each place, you may even lose points in a future exam if you flash your Gunblade around for fun.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Always love to see appreciation for Balamb Garden. It's really a fantastic opening with such a unique tone.

Since it's already given, I'll put forth the Twilight Town opening few hours of Kingdom Hearts II.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Good springs in Fallout New Vegas.

You get a good idea of everything going on via this town. You even get to learn about the importance of decision making by deciding between the residents of good springs or the powder gangers.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom hearts 2. Fight me.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
well, for me Bastok and South Gustaberg (FFXI) will always be special.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I will never understand the love for KH2's opening hours.

Anyhow, even though the game itself is made up of fairly linear disconnected areas, I'm a big fan of the theater in Parasite Eve.

thea-save.JPG

The second half is slightly more tropey being that it's in the sewers but I always loved how atypical of a location it was for an opening area in a JRPG.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
well, for me Bastok and South Gustaberg (FFXI) will always be special.

- YouTube

- YouTube

Opening post says best, not worst.

Bastok, more like Lastok

Everyone knows Sandy is the best.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
on a mechanics level goodsprings from new vegas is a good name. its basically a huge tutorial of everything in the game, but without being so blatant and handholding

setting/intrigue wise i'm liking the Ranger HQ/Colorado Springs in W3. helps that you can spend basically the first 5 hours in it alone

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I enjoyed both Pillars starting areas.

PoE starts with a simple camp in the woods the shadow of some old ruins, which you then must flee into leading to even more impressive and powerful ruins. After which you come across your first town.

Deadfire starts off on a ship, but then you get a beach shore wreckage, a port side town and again another set of old ruins. There's a nice bit of diversity and taste of what's to come with the rest of the Deadfire.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I really should play these, but every other CRPG other than Shadowrun and Torment fall flat to me.
Flat in what ways? Pillars is exceptionally well developed settings with good to great writing, stories and characters. Pretty exceptional roleplaying options and Deadfire has the best/most rewarding implementation of RTwP combat I've ever played.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Might and Magic 7's Emerald Island. It's the perfect tutorial location, it has an example of basically every facet of the gameplay and on top of that an optional challenge in the red dragon in the cave.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
White orchard in Witcher 3. It's like microcosm of the whole Witcher 3 experience from pacing to gameplay to quest structure. But also small pocket of community that lives peacefully despite the war really gives chill vibe