• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Basketball is by far my favorite sport but i'm down for anything. Is Slam Dunk any good? Does it hold up at all? I've heard good things about Yuri on Ice. Anyways, all suggestions are welcome.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Holy Trinity is Hajime no Ippo, Ping Ping the Animation, and Haikyuu.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
hajime no ippo

You don't even have to like boxing to love it.

Touch and cross game are more classic styled 80's baseball anime even though cross game is relatively modern

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu and its not close

Ippo is great but its fighting so its a bit different. The manga is also better. Slam Dunk is a classic but again, go manga.

If you want something b ball related that LOLs in the face of realism, Kurokos Basket is worth a watch

For anime that is pretty good Yowamuahi Pedal hits some great highs, Area no Ace is a very serviceable baseball show.

Rookies is an unfinished baseball manga that makes for a great read but yeah, doesnt go super far

Actually in terms of manga, GIANT KILLING is a cut above the rest.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many great sports anime to name. Eyeshield 21 is a fun sports anime about American football.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Run with the Wind
Haikyuu
Ping Pong
Chihayafuru
Big Windup

Those! Make sure you watch them! (Pssssst Haikyuu and Chihayafuru have new seasons coming soon~~~)

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I forgot I'm supposed to check this out
I think there's a sizable fan base lurking in every shadow in Reseteraland recommending Run with the Wind like shady men might sell candy.
Sweet, thanks for the news about Chihayafuru; I got scared about reading the manga since I'm dreading the ending otp.
I default to headcanon pairings for anything I don't like, pretending that there's an alternate (correct) universe out there.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for haikyuu. I've been waiting for next season for so long. If you like mahjong, saki. I enjoy how it brings the superstitions and supernatural of mahjong to life.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Haikyuu.

Eyeshield 21 is the best sports manga though. It just got a crappy adaptation.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If basketball is your thing Kuroko's Basketball is mandatory. It's anime super basketball but it's hype.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
great thread header btw op
1458945264-5a596abd0cd8d3112ed9764581f2e301.jpeg

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
the genre peaks with slam dunk and haikyuu

run with the wind, and hajime no ippo are decent too. kurokos basketball is alright too but a little bit too anime

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Slam Dunk. No question.

At all.

Even if you don't like basketball, the story is intensely emotional.
Nah...Slam Dunk is basically Naruto of sports anime. The dynamic between the main character and his rival isn't unlike Naruto-Sasuke.

Check out Eyeshield 21 manga OP. The anime is trash but the manga is amazing.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for Ping Pong (fantastic character study) and Cross Game (charming story all around). Granted, I don't watch much sports anime.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hanabado is a great girl based badminton anime with great animation and music, but be prepared for a lot of melodrama.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Baby Steps is the most realistic in that if you played tennis competitively it's the most relatable shit ever.

Haikyuu is very good in terms of characters and general hype.