• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whenever we have a game soundtrack thread going on over here, typically we see the same usual suspects over and over. Stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Streets of Rage, Final Fantasy, etc. Well-known and beloved games.

I want this thread to specifically NOT be about those soundtracks! I want to hear from you what are the best soundtracks from lesser-known and obscure games.

I'll start:

This is the soundtrack that inspired me to create this thread. The MSX (and MSX2) were little-known systems outside of Japan. However they got a substantive amount of Konami support through their lifespan. They even got an exclusive shmup in the form of Space Manbow. When I randomly stumbled upon the soundtrack for this game, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This is a pure little gem that features compositions from Castlevania legend Michiru Yamane. The fact that I had never heard this soundtrack until very recently completely baffled me. It is delightful and masterful from start to finish.

Have a listen:

I'm sure there must exist other such hidden gems that many of us have never heard before.

Some come on, Era! Show us the best hidden gems that exist and that we probably never heard before!

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Basically almost every Sunsoft NES game.

You can tell by the first song that this stuff's gonna be good.

Also, Tim Follin is a genius who worked on a ton of obscure games back in the day.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

From Yuppie Psycho, and indie horror game from this year. Barely anyone has talked about it and it's quite amazing. OST is from the same guy as Va11-Hall-a.

This track in particular is such a SMT feel on it.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
ObsCure, the co-op cheesy horror flick game from the PS2 gen had fantastic music by Olivier Deriviere

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
I'll take any opportunity like this to plug Ryu Umemoto, the other 90's synth God besides Yuzo Koshiro.

Also, for the guy who doesn't really jive with Tim Follin's prog tendencies, that's certainly not all he can do. I know I'm in the minority here but my favorite Tim Follin soundtrack is actually

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say this game's OST qualifies for objectively good or anything but PK Out Of The Shadows had a banging OST that had some extremely good mood techno going for it with some really atmospheric and occasionally sinister ambiance and jarring, alien-like soundscapes.

Daniel Masson, the composer, was also responsible for scoring the N64 / Dreamcast / PC version of Donald Duck Quack Attack / Going Quackers, which unlike the PS1 / fifth gen versions of the game which had your average big band Disney type arrangement, went for a very Rayman reminiscent vibe that made such an impression on me as a kid. It made such a goofy game feel... cool. Adventurous.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
jewel master on genesis has a fucking awesome prog rock-esque soundtrack but im pretty nowhere i'm one of 30 people who owned this

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I recently discovered The Neverhood thanks to a streamer, and holy fudge is the OST good.

Why did no one tell me a bout this!?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cant link right now but SHATTER has an AMAZING soundtrack. Look it up, you wont be disappointed.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
The game isn't nearly as obscure as some of the titles above but as a modern orchestral score I found Civilisation:Beyond Earth a really great find. Never played the game but found the link from the Classic FM VG playlist. This track is great for giving space exploration vibes!

Aug 1, 2018
The Dark Spire for the Nintendo DS has a FANTASTIC OST. It was done in an orchestral style plus an 8-bit style and you can change it on the fly in the game. It's so good:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The cutest game in the world, Dewy's Adventure, for the Nintendo Wii.

Last edited:

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Cant link right now but SHATTER has an AMAZING soundtrack. Look it up, you wont be disappointed.
Cosigning this.

The Half-Life 2 multiplayer mod Neotokyo also has two-and-a-half hours of incredibly good soundtrack associated with it somehow. The soundtrack's creator, Ed Harrison, would go on to contribute to the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided soundtrack.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it was niche/obscure at the time, but definitely is today. Sub Terrania had some sick Genesis goodness that you could easily pass off as modern synthwave in 2019 if you remastered it

EDIT: fuckin hell I just saw that Jesper Kyd did this soundtrack, no wonder it's full of bangers

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe not "obscure" but the Bomberman 64 soundtrack is soooo good/underrated

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have no idea how well-known the Bionic Commando remake was considered, but I loooove this track from Area 08.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
jewel master on genesis has a fucking awesome prog rock-esque soundtrack but im pretty nowhere i'm one of 30 people who owned this

Thanks for this one! Good stuff here.

Basically almost every Sunsoft NES game.

You can tell by the first song that this stuff's gonna be good.

Also, Tim Follin is a genius who worked on a ton of obscure games back in the day.

This person knows what's up.

Now I'm off listening to "Good Weather" from Gimmick; love this tune.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Adventures of Pip is a neat little action platformer for the Wii U and PC/Mac with music composed by Jake Kaufman, best known for soundtracks of Shantae, the Mighty series, and Shovel Knight. This soundtrack feels very unique compared to Kaufman's usual work, and I honestly wouldn't have thought it was him without reading it online. It was an unexpected pleasure to listen to while playing this game.

Maybe not "obscure" but the Bomberman 64 soundtrack is soooo good/underrated

That's Bomberman Hero you posted, and Redial is always the track that gets posted for that game. (It is the best one.) How about another?

If you want Bomberman 64, though, I got you covered.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Half the TurboGrafx-16 library. No joke. Not even their CD stuff, though some of that is amazing. But games like Dungeon Explorer, Alien Crush, and Bloody Wolf should be discussed with some of the best of the 16-bit soundtracks. Once you get into the CD library? Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Ys (obviously)... so much great stuff on that system.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I'd consider it obscure, but its certainly not a big game.

Bastion soundtrack blew me away, After the narration it starts out with a banger
www.youtube.com

Full Bastion OST

Bastion (2011) was developed by Supergiant Games and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The soundtrack was composed by Darren Korb.http://s...

Then we get these beautiful songs.
www.youtube.com

Bastion OST - Build That Wall - Mother, I'm Here - Setting Sail, Coming Home

Connective trio of songs taken from the Bastion Soundtrack.Featuring Ashley Barrett and Darren Korb.---Lyrics---[Build That Wall] [0:00]I dig my hole you bui...

Fez as well

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Can't really link vids now but yeah, Space Manbow has a fantastic soundtrack, oh yeah. Was playing that game on Sat night funnily enough.

Some others to look up:
Star Trader for X68000
Granada for X68000 and Genesis
Choujin Sentai Jetman for Famicom
Power Blade for NES