• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
The first area in Mega Man Legends 2 takes place in the snow, and I liked it a lot.

018.jpg

That area also has the best shop theme.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War, but it's like a small area so...

Overall it's either RDR2 or HZD : Frozen Wilds for me.

The possibility RDR2 takes the crown with improved snow tech on the PC is high though.

Oct 27, 2017
Phendrana_Shorelines_Drifts_4_dolphin_hd.jpg

The snow falling in the air. The crunch of the snow beneath your feet. The fauna living here all bearing characteristics of creatures that have adapted to the snow. The dark and lonely Space Pirate base. The abandoned Chozo temple. This place oozes atmosphere, and was made even more impressive by showing off what was at the time top of the line graphical effects for consoles. I'll always remember my first trip here, stepping out of the elevator into the full view of the open Phendrana field. I stopped and took in the atmosphere countless times, and I actually felt upset whenever I had to leave this area. Luckily, Metroid is full of backtracking!

NPC!_MP_Screen_20.png

Let's talk about the music for a moment. The Metroid series thrives on an atmosphere defined by both isolation and exploration, and this is captured perfectly in Prime's soundtrack, which is a topic of its own, for another time. When you step off that elevator into the drifts, you're greeted by this sample of auditory bliss. The chimes in the background, the calm tempo, the almost windy quality that this music has all represent not only its snow capped, icy terrain, but also fall in line with that feeling of being alone on an alien planet. It's peaceful, whimsical, and beautiful, but there's also a certain loneliness to it that only adds to its masterful presentation.
Came here to say Phendrana. It is absolutely beautiful.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you read about these things, IIRC RoTR has the most "technically correct" implementation in a game so far. Shout outs to Arkham Origins and HZD: Snow Expansion Pack.

Oh yeah RDR2 looks great here.

It looks great, but snow is damn hard to walk through unless it's really light and fluffy.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Phendrana_Shorelines_Drifts_4_dolphin_hd.jpg

The snow falling in the air. The crunch of the snow beneath your feet. The fauna living here all bearing characteristics of creatures that have adapted to the snow. The dark and lonely Space Pirate base. The abandoned Chozo temple. This place oozes atmosphere, and was made even more impressive by showing off what was at the time top of the line graphical effects for consoles. I'll always remember my first trip here, stepping out of the elevator into the full view of the open Phendrana field. I stopped and took in the atmosphere countless times, and I actually felt upset whenever I had to leave this area. Luckily, Metroid is full of backtracking!

NPC!_MP_Screen_20.png

Let's talk about the music for a moment. The Metroid series thrives on an atmosphere defined by both isolation and exploration, and this is captured perfectly in Prime's soundtrack, which is a topic of its own, for another time. When you step off that elevator into the drifts, you're greeted by this sample of auditory bliss. The chimes in the background, the calm tempo, the almost windy quality that this music has all represent not only its snow capped, icy terrain, but also fall in line with that feeling of being alone on an alien planet. It's peaceful, whimsical, and beautiful, but there's also a certain loneliness to it that only adds to its masterful presentation.

THIS. I stopped and took a knee to just sit there and watch this for ages when I first played this game when it came out.

Phendrana in Metroid Prime and Assault On The Control Room in Halo CE were standout snow moments that gen. I'll never forget playing those for the first time.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't love Horizon, but the one thing that will always stay with me is how incredible the snow at times.

I remember walking through a wooded area, and it was an orange-sky evening, and the snow was whipping around in a way that really made my jaw drop.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone.

LikablePersonalChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

Snow.gif

The crazy thing is that its completely dynamic. it will start out snowing infront of you and will cover the entire area with snow in under 6 minutes.

This is so atmospheric. I haven't dusted off my PS4 Pro since RE2 came out (been playing my Switch all year), so I don't really know anything about this game.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
RDR2's Grizzlies is pretty great stuff imo. Things like hunting is easier cause of blood trails and prints. Also, its what its like walking around in snow.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
It's Tom Clancy's The Division. Accept no substitutes.
A lot of games introduce you to pristine banks of evenly distributed untouched snow. This is not true of The Division, The Division shows snow as you're likely to find it in a city. It's a lot more immersive than just adding a layer of white stuff to the city and calling it a day, that's for sure. On top of that the particles and atmospherics involved, particularly during snowstorms (like when playing survival) take the experience up to a whole other level.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
I've heard RDR2 is the best but haven't played it yet. I nominate Forza Horizon 4, since it produces scenes like this:
WCSq9I9.jpg

And the bigger banks are deformable.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Obviously it's dated now, but I remember at the time Resistance Fall of Man had the most amazing snow effect. It was a simple little trick, but it worked so well.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Has to be Horizon frozen Wildlands for me. I grew up in a snow state, and the fact that you can see the grass creep up from the snow foot prints as she walks/slides the snow around blew me tf away with the detail.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
From the remaster, but Assault on the Control Room from Halo CE blew my goddamn mind in 2001

1200px-AssaultonControlRoom.png

Also, shout out to Goldeneye

117071-285366-GoldenEye007N64208jpg-620x.jpg

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2, God of War, and Uncharted have amazing looking snow environments.

As for effect I loved the atmosphere of those DKC levels.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon ZD has a really cool dynamic snow weather system and snow physics.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Origins still has nice snow even by today's standards on the PC version in my opinion. Apart from that, Rise of the Tomb Raider, God of War, Gears of War 5, and Horizon Zero Dawn all have great snow.

Honorable mention to Assassin's Creed 3, as that snow was actually pretty damn great looking at the time, and in my opinion it still kind of holds up today.