• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I give it to the "Dignity" episode with Homer being Mr. Burns jester essentially.

Just a handful of the memorable scenes in this classic episode.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Marge vs the monorail

but my personal favorite is between "king size homer" "team homer" and "homie the clown". Can't decide which, but "homie the clown" is pretty damn close.
tumblr_mx0kkzfmgD1s1clzao1_400.gifv

Favorite joke- "gym? What's a gym? Ohhhh, gym." Gets me every damn time.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Either Marge Be Not Proud or Mother Simpson.

Of course there are funnier episodes but I think if you can be funny and poignant at the same time, you've triumphed.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
In no universe is the episode that features Homer being raped by a panda "the best Simpsons episode".

My vote for best episode remains Last Exit to Springfield.
Whereas my favourite episode is Summer of 4 Ft. 2.

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many. (No offence intended, but the one in the OP wouldn't be one of mine as I consider it to be part of the era where the show turned to shit.) Off the top of my head... You Only Move Twice. It has what I consider to be a staple of the latter classics: an opening so strong, so funny, so chock full of memorable quotes and moments that when the ad break hit I'd be so shocked as to exclaim "Wait, that was all in the first half of the ep?!"

Jul 24, 2018
22 Tales from Springfield, I can quote almost the whole episode so I'd say it is pretty special to me. It was on this compilation DVD I bought when I was in the UK many many years ago.

Saya Barn, remember when I told you a I had to send away to NASA to calculate your bar tab?

Aha, oh yeah, we all had a great laugh, Moe.

The results came in today

*puts an immense stack of paper on the bar table*

You owe me 17 billion dollars

Hmm?!

No, no wait, that's for the Voyager spacecraft. Your tab is 14 billion dollars

Well all I have is 2000 bucks

Well that's halfway there.

Love it.

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, I think The Simpsons was the first show to break and eventually turn my heart cold against it :'( Though at its best it made me laugh so loud and so hard that I'd have stitches, and my mum and dad demanding I shut up.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Homer Vs The 18th Amendment. It's funny as hell and you actually see Homer be good at something.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
"Homer's Enemy", the one with Grimes. Impressively dark and honest for its time.
I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but this sticks out to me of the posts so far.

I saw it as a kid and kind of got the vibe of what it was trying to say, but thought Grimes was a bit of a dick.

But now reflecting back as an Adult, I realise I can relate to Grimes a lot.

And that's the key. Any Simpsons episode that you watched as a kid, and then rewatched as an adult and have it hit you deeply will be the best episodes.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It probably plays poorly in 2020, given the entire joke is fat shaming, but the one where Homer gains weight to get on disability is a fave of mine.

King-Size Homer

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Treehouse of Horror 3 from Season 4 (features the evil Krusty doll segment with the immortal frozen yoghurt scene, the Homer as King Kong parody and the Night of the Living Dead spoof).

Just... Too many good jokes:

f7c68e17dda02dfcd5682b6df3bbc27e.jpg

---------------------------------------
Carl: Hey, I heard we're goin' to Ape Island.
Lenny: Yeah, to capture a giant ape. I wished we were going to Candy Apple Island.
Charlie: Candy Apple Island? What do they got there?
Carl: Apes. But they're not so big.
Mr. Burns: What do you think, Smithers?
Smithers: I think women and sea men don't mix.
Mr. Burns: Yes we know what you think.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad!
Homer: Did you wreck the car?
Bart: No
Homer: Did you raise the dead?
Lisa: Yes!
Homer: But the car's okay?
Lisa and Bart: Uh-huh.
Homer: All right then.
SPFF.gif

Treehouse of Horror V (The Shinning, Time and Punishment and Nightmare Cafeteria) and Treehouse of Horror IV (The Devil and Homer Simpson, Terror at 5 1⁄2 Feet and Bart Simpson's Dracula) are also near perfect. The bit at the end of V with the dance number set to the gas that turns peoples skin inside out is so bizarrely memorable:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely no way for me to choose.
There are easily ~20 episodes I would instantly agree are the best ones.
Cape Fear is the first one that came to mind but man, depending on the hour you could convince me so many others are the best

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't have a favorite really but I really liked the Bleeding Gums Murply episode with Lisa. 'Round Springfield "

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This popped into my mind but I can't tell whether the episode itself was top tier or if the memorable ending screenshot manipulates us :P
Nah, that episode is hilarious too. It has the god-tier joke where Homer studies marketing in an attempt to attract business to the bowling alley, and somehow settles on going out front and firing a shotgun:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Nah, that episode is hilarious too. It has the god-tier joke where Homer studies marketing in an attempt to attract business to the bowling alley, and somehow settles on going out front and firing a shotgun:

Haha I remember it vividly. Ol' school marketing right there, just like bell ringers and hawkers.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I jump around quite a bit depending on my viewing. Cape Feare, Deep Space Homer, Duffless, Homer at the Bat, Last Exit to Springfield. Those are probably at the top of my list.

I'm actually watching season five as we speak.