• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have a lot of tedious, rote work I need to finish today, and I want to throw something on that is somewhat mindless and easy to listen to/glance at. I have all the major streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.).
I like comedy similar to Seinfeld, Curb, It's Always Sunny, The Simpsons, Nathan For You. Drama-wise I'm a big fan of Breaking Bad, The Leftovers.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm a big fan of having cooking shows on in the background, obviously there's no plot so nothing to miss by not paying attention, plus they're kinda cosy and homely.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I cannot have anything on in the background it just ends up distracting me too much.
But the missus has an infinite loop of Charmed, LoTR, Harry Potter, Gilmore Girls on in the background no matter what she is doing. Not sure how she does it to be honest.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
My perfect background show is Japanese Style Originator on Netflix. It's all in Japanese, but they're like hour long episodes that dive into the minutiae of Japanese history and culture.

It's the perfect show to fold laundry to, b/c you can look away for a few minutes and feel like you missed nothing of consequence. But also, I learn something new about Japan every time I watch.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It is the Simpson or Futurama for me.

Simpsons is on D+

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find sitcoms and nature shows to be the best. They're usually not too loud, obnoxious or distracting but you can look up from whatever else you're doing for a joke or some interesting moment. Anything that requires you to actively pay attention like a long running drama or a foreign show that only has subs don't really work for the task of background noise. I also only do this with shows I've already watched as I don't want to ruin a first time viewing by only half paying attention.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
For the gf it's

The office
Parks and Rec
Gilmore Girls
Friends
Friday Night Lights
Breaking Bad ish
That 70s show
Weeds

Probably missing some. She just cranks shit in the background

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically the reason for Food Network and HGTV's entire existence

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
My go-to's are usually animated. If The Simpsons is one of your go-to's you should just roll through Futurama. My other one is Archer, I can watch that over and over.

This is basically the reason for Food Network and HGTV's entire existence

Somehow I always end up watching My Lottery Dream Home until like midnight, what starts as background TV while I'm doing chores or projects turns into me sitting on the couch for far too long.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Cheers is quite backgroundy and I always liked the cosy atmosphere of the show. Not much shouting like a lot of sitcoms, which I find grating as fuuuu

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to do this with game shows like Supermarket Sweep or Jeopardy. Currently I have The Clone Wars going for my background noise.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I love having old sitcoms on in the background like Mary Tyler Moore, Golden Girls or Cheers.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Grand Tour (or before that, Top Gear). In the unlikely event that you aren't familiar, you do not need to be an avid car person at all.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Massive fan of putting Cooking Network shows on in the background.

Chopped, Guys Grocery Games, Diners Drive in Dives, Carnival Eats .. perfect background noise.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Bob's Burgers
King of the Hill
OG Law & Order
Unsolved Mysteries

It might be cause I've seen just about all episodes of each series and I don't have to focus on anything, but these are my go to's.