• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
F.E.A.R was pretty great, especially the shotgun in slow motion.

Might be unfair since VR FPS games are always going to have a more visceral feel, but Robo Recall, Stormland, and Space Junkies have great feeling guns.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
For me its DOOM 2016 because it feels fantastic to blow shit up but it has more then any other shooter in terms of mechanics going on at any given time while also having the most options.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Shooting --> Destiny

Movement --> Titanfall 2

The feeling of using the Gnasher and clutching in Gears 5 is fucking amazing tho

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it's my favourite but MGSV. The entire handling of the character and weapons was tight, punchy and very satisfying.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play much PC FPS so my choices are all console based.

From a pure PvP standpoint, I think the core Halo gameplay is on another level compared to everyone else. Apex might come close but Halo is still king.
1. It's awesome that you retain all accuracy in hip fire.
2. You can jump through the air with no accuracy penalty.
3. Precision is king. This is one of the biggest things that separate it from others.
4. High time to kill makes every fight exciting.

Almost every shooter on the market has a very similar combat flow. You sprint around the map, largely tied to the ground. If you see someone you hold left trigger to aim down sights for added precision and to slow down yourself and your aiming sensitivity. In most game the TTK is fairly low so you just need to burst them once around center mass. Headshot if you are good/lucky. Some games like Apex can get more interesting with the TTK being high enough you can get some good strafe/dodges and need to switch to a secondary to finish the job. But it all involved running around and shooting in ADS. Even in higher TTK games like Apex, it's often better to just aim for center mass and maybe let the recoil give you some headshots. On console its difficult to consistently land headshots in higher TTK games like Apex and Destiny due to higher recoil and thumbsticks.

Halo is honestly the only game where the combat feels very free and aim based. You are EXPECTED to land the head shots and anyone shooting just center mass will not be able to finish kills quickly. Melee and grenades play a big role as well instead of being one off items or a desperation move. Every Halo 1 v 1 encounter feels like a dance where the best aim and the best movement to fake out your opponents aim, will win. I think in terms of moment to moment, person vs person combat, Halo is the most satisfying out of anything on the console market right now.

I also want to give an honorable mention to Gears active reload mechanic because its somehting thats so simple but very satisfying to use.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The aiming mechanics are rubbish but the RDR games have absolutely incredible feeling/sounding weapons.

For me its DOOM 2016 because it feels fantastic to blow shit up but it has more then any other shooter in terms of mechanics going on at any given time while also having the most options.

Doom loses points because the sound design with the weapons suck.

Intel 404

Nov 3, 2019
Counter strike is my favorite but I also played old games like UrbanTerror (one time I had to play in a 124 Mb Ram Pc)

Oct 27, 2017
This could be first or third person, the only requirement is that you shoot stuff, it could be bullets, bombs, water, ink, arrows, whatever you want.

My personal favorite is;

Killing Floor

Killing_Floor_Biohazard1.jpg

Just impressive, the weapons have weight and you can feel every bullet ( even more when the slow motion kicks in), I like it more in the first one than in the sequel but is also awesome

killing-floor-2-wallpaper-1.jpg

What game do you guys think has the best shooting feel and the best mechanics?
hey - thanks for the kind words! ;)
Producer - Killing Floor 2

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Halo 5. Some people had issues with the aiming but it never bothered me. Godlike agility and feedback, perfect weapon balancing (until they ruined it, rip BR)

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im in no way a CoD fan.
But I bought modern warfare and its the first ive ever bought and i love it because it feels great to shoot

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)

The gun play in that game is fantastic and the shooting is top of the pile IMHO

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
In terms of purely shooting, Destiny 2 and the new Modern Warfare both feel amazing... But nothing tops Titanfall 2's movement/shooting/giantrobotfighting combo in terms of how it all feels together.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Titanfall 2. I want to like Destiny, but Bungie's reliance on ridiculous amounts of auto-aims completely destroys the feel of that game. But apparently it does make people who aren't normally good at shooters feel like their good at shooters.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Killzone 2 is 10 years old and still king. the animations, noise, the recoil, the enemy reactions...

i cant remember if it was KZ2 or KZ3, but one of those is my vote, the feel of the weight, the little x that pops in your reticle when you kill someone (or was it after a headshot? Its been a while)

but i dont care what anyone says... KZ2/3 are my favorite in a genre that i dont even like.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Binary Domain had excellent limb damage.
VD4AeFn.gif

MN9G0nh.gif

RE6's quick shots feel so good, especially when chaining them into a melee finisher.
mkU5Y6V.gif

Also EDF
UxTguAN.gif

Last edited:

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
It was KZ3... it was the red x when you hit someone followed by a little blip sound that was so satisfying.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No.... What ? There's so much to do... Even a new light player that only want campaigns would spend hours. Imagine all the activities, quests and search for exotics....

The multiplayer is super popular exactly because of the mechanics and builds.....

I don't like it at all. They completely ruined hip firing which is something I need in that style of game. Combat feels floaty and matches turn into people with super powers completely decimating people who don't have them yet.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
For those who are saying Killzone 2, are you talking about multiplayer? A couple of weeks ago I tried replaying the campaign for the first time in years, and the shooting and movement felt just awful.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
a lot of good choices already.

i will say rdr2, aim\cover are utter shit but how enemy reacts when they get hit thanks to euphoria engine is even better than max payne 3 imo.

in general game with euphoria are some of the best, and that's why you find dozenz of brutal kill compilation on yt, more than any other game, because every kill is always different, you can't beat real time bullet impact and a dynamic system with any precanned animation, no matter how good they are.

they are still not perfect tho.

fear1 is still impressive (more impressive than 85% of modern videogames tbh) even as on old title and it's crazy.

on the indie\AA side, lately i enjoyed a lot the gunplay on remnant from the ashes, meaty, precise and with good ragdoll.

i expect great things from tlou2 in terms of meaty and gory gunplay.

on the melee side, i still think that beating zombies in dying light (or dropkicking them) is some of the best we had in this gen.
mordau is good too.
tlou1 for third person game is still the king i think.

also the yakuza games with the dragon engine (so 6 and kiwami 2 and judgement) are great fun when you wanna feel powerfull and send enemy flying everywhere, great sense of power and great ragdoll.

and how not to mention GORN for VR? so silly looking but so satisfying to play.

good ad meaty combat is literally the first thing that i notice when i watch a game for the first time, i literally bought my first game with turn based tactical gameplay (mutant year zero) just because kills in this game looks nice lol...

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Killzone 2 is interesting. The hit reactions, weapon models etc are great... But it feels awful to play. If the controls were tight it would be up there, but it was a struggle to play (didn't help that the Dual Shock 3 was terrible for FPS)