• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which the best looking SEGA console?

• Master System 1

Votes: 35 5.0%
  • Master System 2

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 112 15.9%
  • Mega Drive II

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • Saturn

Votes: 168 23.9%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 350 49.7%
  • One of the add ons/third party variants - Mega CD/32X/WonderMega etc

Votes: 9 1.3%

• Total voters

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Mark II

5iHjZr3.jpg

I find this design a bit cleaner than Mark III and the fact they 've had that small english paragraph printed on the case makes me smile every time l see a picture of it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell are there only two votes for the Master System II.

Have you no eyes?! It's a cute little thing of beauty!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Saturn > Dreamcast > Model 2 Genesis in that order.

Pleasantly surprised to see all the Saturn love.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I prefer the more rounded lines of the Saturn to the more angular lines of the Dreamcast but they are both really nice consoles. The DC was so loud though. Ultimately I give it to the Saturn.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Model 1 Genesis for me. I dig its switches and overall style more than the more clean model 2.

Dreamcast is a close 2nd though. I remember being floored back in 1999 at just how different and "futuristic" it looked to me at the time.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell are there only two votes for the Master System II.

Have you no eyes?! It's a cute little thing of beauty!
Don't let its cuteness fool you. It's evil for being RF-only, getting rid of card/3d glasses support, abandoning Snail Maze and the classic start up tune, and making Alex Kidd eat hamburgers instead of rice balls. Not that those matter for this poll, though.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive I, no contest. It nails the iconic 80s A/V aesthetic and still looks sleek even today. Every other SEGA console looks like a dated children's toy by comparsion.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the original Genesis as my personal favorite Sega console, I was always partial to the design of the Master System 1.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017
The Dreamcast was so wonderfully designed for its functionality. Compact and efficient to the degree that Nintendo has maintained since the GameCube. But aesthetically, it took some steps backward from the perfect simplicity of the Saturn.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
The Dreamcast and it's not even close. It's such a beautiful and sleek machine that screamed turn of the millenium. That said, after looking at the OP I have to hand it to Sega because they've made some very aesthetically pleasing consoles even before the DC (I was mostly a Nintendo kid growing up). Nintendo was not even close outside of the Gameboy family. Things really too a turn for the better with them from the GC and onward in the console department.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The Dreamcast and it's not even close. It's such a beautiful and sleek machine that screamed turn of the millenium. That said, after looking at the OP I have to hand it to Sega because they've made some very aesthetically pleasing consoles even before the DC (I was mostly a Nintendo kid growing up). Nintendo was not even close outside of the Gameboy family. Things really too a turn for the better with them from the GC and onward in the console department.
I think SFC looks better than any MD model but otherwise yeah I'd agree.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Pal dreamcast has a sega logo on the front.

My favourite console design other than the ridiculously loud pointless fan.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tie between the JP Model 1 and Model 2 Saturns, but the O.G Mega Drive with the white accents is a very close second.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I love the Master System II with the slot cover. I had one with Alex Kidd built in. I also had the Mega Drive II and 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast. That list is a tough decision but I'd have to say the grey Saturn with the blue buttons. Looks superb.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the DC hands down. It's so small and perfect. I had a Genesis 2 growing up but I preferred the look of the Genesis 1.

The Genesis 3 is kind of cool aside from the angry 3 and the controller being heavier than the console, but it may not count because it's a Majesco product rather than Sega proper.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I love the Master System 1 and the Dreamcast, but I have to give this to the Sega Saturn. It's just a beautiful looking piece of kit, and it looks equally amazing in each of those colourways. The white being my personal favourite.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast is one of the nicer looking consoles in general, SEGA or not. It's really aesthetically pleasing.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Dreamcast by far IMO. The only flaw it had was that the controllers cables where not long enough.

The controller having the cable at the bottom, not top, was a bit awkward at first until I discovered the groove in the VMU slot were it fits. Longer cable as a default would've been perfection.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sega left the hardware business with a bang.

I think the original Dreamcast (original off-white color with the orange swirl) was the best looking of all their hardware.

As a runner up, I really love the light grey Saturn variant.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
My avatar is the answer.

They're all beautiful. But just ahead of the black Saturn is Dreamcast with a blue swirl. If special editions count I really like the silver Dreamcast.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they kept the Saturn the metallic colour as originally intended (either gold or silver?)

Here are some early mockups of the Saturn as well
f598bf82-7dd8-4b44-8aeb-1777e10140e2.jpg

bluswimmer

Dec 9, 2020
I'm torn between the Genesis and the Dreamcast. I love both console's designs, though I'm not really a fan of the Genesis 3 redesign.

Jan 21, 2018
While I think almost all the Sega models are things of beauty, I have to say it's the Wondermega (while both versions area nice, I prefer the JVC one without the white ring) followed closely by the CDX....

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just love them all. SEGAs aesthetics in console designs were all cool, futuristic and unique to me!

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It may be some ridiculous Frankenstein hodgepodge mess of hardware internally, but this?

2880px-Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg

This is just beautiful.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Genesis 1 and it's not particularly close.

There are other good options to pick from, but I'm kind of befuddled that people actually like the look of the Dreamcast that much.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The DreamCast, which is also my favorite console design of all-time.

Sega were the GOATs with console design. Basically all of these rule hard.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Man this is a though one, the original mega drive is so slick but the dreamcast is just so damn clean, i'll probably have to give it to the dreamcast it's so nice.

The japan only black limited edition is just *chefkiss*.
s-l400.jpg

source.gif

Goddamnit sony, why could you not have gone for a clean minimalist box. i hate the avant garde sculpture looking thing that is hiding behind my entertainment system now.

Last edited: