• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Love the atmosphere of the baker house in RE7
RESIDENT-EVIL-7-biohazard_20170125013027-1400x788.jpg

re7_2017-02-04_14-39-34.png

C7BD21FB13B4680F518DC8A1E77F99150EE4884F

I need to finish this game. VR was too much for me though!

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the lack of pictures for Zelda dungeons. Those always had unique or atmospheric aesthetics going on. Albeit, to be fair, I can't exactly find the best images. They're usually best to actually go through than anything else

mgqHulHMrH9yUUxSwt5HqIBSe2_qfKPEVhNm2tBVLuE.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Nov 17, 2017
I couldn't find a picture of if but Hot Shelter, one of the stages in Sonic Adventure randomly has public restrooms complete with stalls and sinks. But... it's in Eggman's flying fortress and the only things there besides him are a bunch of robots so why are they there? That just makes me love it.

But yeah, the flying fortress, Eggman's Egg Carrier has some nice little quirks about its interior that make it more charming than your average villain's lair. It adds some personality to the place and the character. For example, Eggman has a study and a pool room. He has a whack-a-mole type arcade game where you can bash little dolls of Sonic.

Room_GC.png
PoolOver_PC.png

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
f7fbc2c99b1bcc74bc6ec436ab4b8e0c.png
u

Adam Jensen's apartment in Human Revolution. You get a LOT about him and what he's gone through just by looking at the things in his apartment. Also the broken mirror in the bathroom, along with the emails from his super disbelieving he had a "third accident" that broke his mirror again. Sooooooo good

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
For me, interiors in Rapture are no contest winners. Beautiful, streamlined, elegant art deco design. Both the architecture and the décor (especially all the graphic art) express the underlying philosophy of the location. Art deco is an easy visual cue linking back to Ayn Rand and her work, which inspired Rapture's ideology. Also, art deco designs were meant to be affordable for the masses, but still "luxurious" in quality—which ties easily into the economic concept that Andrew Ryan sold the citizens of Rapture, that every one of them could "have it all." On top of that, all the design work in Rapture is just plain gorgeous to look at.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I really loved the interiors in Days Gone. I liked trying to figure out what kind of person lived in each house before shit hit the fan.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yeah The Witch in the Wood's house in God of War might be the best interior this gen. it's just that superb.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Couple of others - Yo-Kai Watch has very comfy homes (and has actual bathrooms)

tumblr_ocbkf4pS151ufr0jio1_400.gifv

And the sheer amount of detail in Yakuza's Don Quijote stores always blows me away

yakuza-0-don-quijote-screenshot.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of if but Hot Shelter, one of the stages in Sonic Adventure randomly has public restrooms complete with stalls and sinks. But... it's in Eggman's flying fortress and the only things there besides him are a bunch of robots so why are they there? That just makes me love it.

But yeah, the flying fortress, Eggman's Egg Carrier has some nice little quirks about its interior that make it more charming than your average villain's lair. It adds some personality to the place and the character. For example, Eggman has a study and a pool room. He has a whack-a-mole type arcade game where you can bash little dolls of Sonic.

Room_GC.png
PoolOver_PC.png

To this day I'm still a little salty we never saw Eggman on his ridiculous throne

Ec_controlroom.png

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
My favorites are still pre-rendered interiors, they're so cozy. <3

Here's a couple:

Baten Kaitos:

tumblr_m4nqzyXB1i1qh18two1_1280.png

Chrono Cross:

Gq5i3Ug.jpg

Final Fantasy 8:

rb0efFy.png

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
24660382082_704f5f8311_k.jpg

The Glass Factory in The Witness. There is a beautiful serene atmosphere there and I like how the light is always the same in that game. Did you know that severals "real world" architects and landscape architects were involved in designed the buildings and environments in The Witness (Fletcher Studio Landscape Architecture, FOURM design studio). By working in both real and games worlds they believe designing environments for the electronic gaming industry can have an impact on the public's appreciation of good design and on their demand for better quality in their physical world.

To me that is really fascinating. Aspects like that feel often overlooked in games.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have a gif of Kratos walking in the Witch house?

Nah, sorry. I also really didn't find it that special/interesting. I made one photo recently though...

49561633713_2b4876d3da_b.jpg

The witch's basement I found pretty cool though...

49561636473_6ed9d1d1ea_b.jpg

49562134666_894f083f97_b.jpg

Imagine having such a huge, creepy basement, crawling with enemies. Every time down there to just get a jar of preserves is an adventure, lol.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, sorry. I also really didn't find it that special/interesting. I made one photo recently though...

49561633713_2b4876d3da_b.jpg

The witch's basement I found pretty cool though...

49561636473_6ed9d1d1ea_b.jpg

49562134666_894f083f97_b.jpg

Imagine having such a huge, creepy basement, crawling with enemies, lol.
Why is that pic so dark? I remember the house being all kinds of lush and vibrant looking. And the image quality was so pristine clean, it was z true next gen moment. A bit like the Tibet village section in uncharted 2 on PS3.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why is that pic so dark? I remember the house being all kinds of lush and vibrant looking. And the image quality was so pristine clean, it was z true next gen moment. A bit like the Tibet village section in uncharted 2 on PS3.

I didn't edit it in any way. I guess the contrast is so stark, because it is right next to the fireplace and that casting dark shadows.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These PS1 era pre rendered interiors are giving me serious feels, I'm not sure how you're supposed to quantify 'cosy' but 90s Square had it in the bag.
Yeah same. I just fear the ff7 remake just won't be the same without the pre rendered fixed camera backgrounds. It just emits a different mood/atmosphere.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
These PS1 era pre rendered interiors are giving me serious feels, I'm not sure how you're supposed to quantify 'cosy' but 90s Square had it in the bag.
FFIX is full of cozy places. Combined with that soundtrack, it's so nostalgic.

I wish FFXVI will go back to full fantasy.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The entire starting village in Chrono Cross is so...cozy. But Serge's room is particularly memorable, with a fantastic view right onto the ocean.

ob3P3QR.png

ESO has some neat homes, too, but the Erstwhile Sanctuary is wet and broken and cool in a whole host of ways. It's an abandoned dark brotherhood hideout that you get to take over for your own.

wbCXrDQ.jpg

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 might not be what I'd call "cozy" in most spots but I'm still routinely blown away by some interior designs that would just considered throwaway filler in other lesser games:

45156008084_a676a95ed2_b.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
These will not be the best examples from these games necessarily, but anything from the past three big remedy games. Remedy has a ton of character in their environments and plenty of details. I love exploring their worlds.

Remedy gets bons points because a lot of the objects in their environments (at least in qb and control) have physics and are not just glued into place.

Alan Wake:
3-loony-cabin.jpg

Quantum Break:
qbcqkur.png

Control:
control-game-nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing-screenshot-002-850px.png

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I half expected some people to post their Animal Crossing homes.

Room_GC.png
PoolOver_PC.png

Seriously, details like this are why Sonic Adventure is one of my favorite games. I was floored by how much detail was put into one hub world that basically has no reason to be there but for pure spectacle. It adds context where there didn't necessarily have to be any, but because it's a hub world, they took this massive battleship and went to town with it.