• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
Among the various aspects and details which can be found, experienced and discussed in videogames, there is one peculiar topic that I have been meaning to explore for a significant while now as I feel it is often put aside is the representation of houses / personal rooms / interiors in video games. I had the hope this angle would get traction when Zelda Link's Awakening was released on Switch (and this fantastic thread from Neiteio got us sooo close to this), but since nothing happened, I have to take this fundamental matter into my own hands.

Why is it so important?

Regardless of the genre, a good room/interior is not just a virtual box but can instead be a subtle or not-so-subtle vehicle of the broader lore, of the overarching narration, all in all of the very identity of the game, managing (i) to convey an even more precise portrait of or additional hints on the character(s) inhabiting said room ; and (ii), oozing with small details, objects, as if looking at miniatures or model homes. It also triggers a sense of understanding and wonder : how does this character functions when I am not here ? Besides – and that is really my specific fetish – those cosy interiors look god darn great, like small dioramas.

Examples:

While it is easy to find good examples of cosy/great/wholesome/interesting interiors in top-down games and/or in RPG for obvious reasons, I have attempted to provide a few additional selected illustrations outside of the box:

*I have taken the below from the internet because I am at work and wanted to kick that conversation off, but I'll edit and provide my own content swiftly*

1. Okami
    Okami.jpg
  2. Persona 4
    Persona.jpg
  3. Odin Sphere
    odinsphereleif-review-2.png
  4. Hotline Miam
    Hotline-Miami.png
  5. FF7
    FF7.png
  6. Pokemon SWSH
    pokemon-shield-my-room-by-sonichannah-ddlrg5m-fullview.jpg

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
All_301b95_2916792.jpg

This room has every wheel of cheese from Skyrim collected in it. That's automatically better than everything else.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Assassins Creed Unity

This is what I came for. I'm still blown away by Unity's interiors and lighting.

Edit: Whoops, I guess I missed the idea of the thread.

The examples of FF7 are real good though. Those pre rendered back drops of rooms were so detailed, interesting and homey. I also remember in Star Ocean 3 I believe, you could read titles for all the pics on the wall and a lot of stuff was searchable. I loved that kind of detail.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The ending area in Uncharted 4 is one of the best in-game in-house areas ever in gaming.
Edit:yeah, look above

Dec 8, 2018
While I understand (as some other people seem to have missed) this is not about graphics but how a room can be a storytelling mechanism it have to go to uncharted 4 beach house while it probably is the best looking one as shown above it literally is the story mechanic for the final part and ending of the series of the games and it's ridiculously well done in every sense not just how beautiful it is.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Please welcome the queen of interiors:

What Remains of Edith Finch

What-Remains-of-Edith-Finch-2--pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

dfe66266a1c46034e6fb719236425fbb.jpg

What%2BRemains%2Bof%2BEdith%2BFinch%2B-%2B2.jpg

d4b9e7db5cb294843190533a9285451f.jpg

kristen-c-wong-altamirano-finch-05.jpg

e21849610175129aa40e18be92856573.jpg

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Always liked the interiors in the Zeldas.

Skyward Sword and Ocarina/Majora's (3DS remakes) have cute little details in some of the homes.

Of course Last of Us and the Life is Strange games have great rooms.

Wolfenstein 2 had some nice interiors as well.

ROW_Wolfenstein%20II_bj_anya_room.jpg

(concept art for BJ and Anya's room)

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
The OP probably meant to write "...after Uncharted 4 ´s Epilogue", otherwise there wouldn´t be much of a mistery here.

But that being clarified, we can start some sort of debate.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Unreal Paris count? Not technically a game but walking around in there looks incredible.

Lighting is pre baked like Unity but still looks v impressive imho

E: oh and the textures and fabrics look incredible too

Slider_3.jpg

Slider_4.jpg

Slider_1.jpg

OP
OP
Kalte

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
While I understand (as some other people seem to have missed) this is not about graphics but how a room can be a storytelling mechanism it have to go to uncharted 4 beach house while it probably is the best looking one as shown above it literally is the story mechanic for the final part and ending of the series of the games and it's ridiculously well done in every sense not just how beautiful it is.
Thankyou.gif, this is indeed not about graphics nor visual, but about what this room makes you feel, how is it relating or hinting at the characters, how it may be crafted like a small and fully functional biome of its own, etc.
That being said...

The OP probably meant to write "...after Uncharted 4 ´s Epilogue", otherwise there wouldn´t be much of a mistery here.

But that being clarified, we can start some sort of debate.
Yes UC4 ending house is just such a powerful place as there is so much to do and see and remember and that's so great!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have to share a few:

Geo's room and house from Megaman Starforce:

bvx7u38.png

sYDb3rj.png

Your house in Legend of Mana:

ogcpfUJ.png

IKqMeu5.png

And this Inn from Final Fantasy X, the location name escapes me at the moment:

nAO9H51.png

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! I don't have any good pictures of my own, but I really love the interiors in Cainhurst Castle from Bloodborne. Probably my favorite area of the game:

hPIg5j2.jpg

Edit: Saw "interiors" and got excited. Sorry that I didn't focus on an actual room or bedroom.

Oct 26, 2017
The interiors in Grandia were fantastic, especially for the time. So many little details to make them look lived in and homey.
Grandia-HD-PC_08-15-19.jpg

I also really liked the workshops in Vagrant story, it's hard to find decent pics though.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Basically all of Animal Crossing: New Horizons going from what was shown today

I also love that in Sword/Shield they replicated the British thing of having radiators in every room

One that I've always liked is Metal Gear Solid 4's Nomad, too. It's extremely militaristic and clinical but also weirdly comfy.

maxresdefault.jpg

alarmclock.jpg

I loved whizzing around it as Mk. 2 picking up on all the little details.