• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I keep trying all of the "Authentic Saturn" pad knockoffs, and I don't know if they are truly authentic, or the manufacturing process was just radically changed since the actual pads that came with the Saturn were made, but I have tried just about every one of them, and absolutely none of them feel the same with the D-pad. Some come close, and usually the buttons are OK, but even those never feel quite the same. Just last night I ended up playing with a new bluetooth, "official Sega" Saturn pad, and it felt off as well.
I own 15 or so official Saturn console controllers in addition to two Authentic USB ones from before the knockoffs and crap flooded the market. A heavily worn old Saturn controller feels so different to a fresh one, and I have ones of all types in my collection. As for the Retrobit ones, I have taken to playing my Saturn exclusely with the 2.4ghz one.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
has anybody using a SN30 Pro+ had any issues with the analog sticks having like a scratchy/bumpy feeling at a certain point in the rotation against the outer rim? i'm probably explaining this terribly, but i've tried two of them in the last few days and they both exhibited something like this. the sticks didn't feel perfectly smooth all the way around. still completely functional but annoyed me. probably gonna try a third one this weekend
Yeah, there's definitely a 'textural' feel to it. I wonder if it wears down to smoothness over time? I don't tend to press hard when rotating the sticks (on these or other controllers), so I don't know if I would ever notice it during actual gameplay.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
has anybody using a SN30 Pro+ had any issues with the analog sticks having like a scratchy/bumpy feeling at a certain point in the rotation against the outer rim? i'm probably explaining this terribly, but i've tried two of them in the last few days and they both exhibited something like this. the sticks didn't feel perfectly smooth all the way around. still completely functional but annoyed me. probably gonna try a third one this weekend
No. My joycons make springy grindy clicking straining sounds tho (yellow ARMS ones) have used them exclusively while playing Animal Crossing, so not strained ever, but that's 500 hours of use. Pro+ has more than double that time and still smooth, albeit right stick rubber more worn compared to left due to more use comparatively.

2.4ghz Saturn pad also solid, but I have weird starting connection on pc, but flawless on Switch.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's definitely a 'textural' feel to it. I wonder if it wears down to smoothness over time? I don't tend to press hard when rotating the sticks (on these or other controllers), so I don't know if I would ever notice it during actual gameplay.

the first one i tried, the right stick was smooth all the way around except for a patch of scratchiness at like 7 o'clock. the second one, both of them had the same feeling on the entire bottom half of both sticks, and a noticeable bump at one point. that kind of thing annoys the shit out of me probably to a degree a lot of people wouldn't even care about

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a pad that's great for both modern and retro game, then my personal recommendation would be to get a Switch Pro Controller.

Probably a controversial opinion 'cause the controller is rather infamous for having a lousy dpad. However after multiple revisions i feel the Procon's dpad (on the newer models at least) is perfectly suitable for fighters that require circular motions. As someone who plays the Street Fighter 2 games from time to time, i find it incredible i'm able to pull off Zangief's 360 motion special on this dpad with ease (emphasis on SF2 here, cause the series became more input lenient with each new entry). There are very few dpads out there that can pull off this feat, and the Procon's dpad is one of them.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
First post nails it.

The 8bitdo m30 is sublime. I bought two of the 2.4ghz versions for my Mega Drive.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I own 15 or so official Saturn console controllers in addition to two Authentic USB ones from before the knockoffs and crap flooded the market. A heavily worn old Saturn controller feels so different to a fresh one, and I have ones of all types in my collection. As for the Retrobit ones, I have taken to playing my Saturn exclusely with the 2.4ghz one.

Yeah, that's likely part of the problem, but I am not sure it can account for all of it, because back when I used to use those you could get in the 90s heavily, I had six myself (on top of those friends had), and swapping to a fresh one didn't feel so "off" like all of those I've tried since. I literally used one of the originals 3-6 hours every single day for about four years straight almost exclusively with fighting games, so I'm pretty acquainted with them. More recently I would play MvC2 at a friend's house on his Dreamcast using an original Saturn controller regularly up until 2008 without any issues and even won a local tournament using one in 2012. This isn't one of those faulty memory/you're just older now and can't do it as well situations either because I generally don't have any issues acclimating to a new controller or stick as long as it's relatively accurate.

Like just recently on Wednesday night when I was playing X-Men vs Street Fighter on the Saturn, dashing felt extremely questionable. Maybe it was not really a problem so much with the D-pad itself, but input lag that was introduced from playing via bluetooth, but I just kept finding myself not dashing at least of a third of the time. This was extremely noticeable with Chun Li, who I used to play super aggressively as well as trying to do Gambit's infinite, which is one of the really easy ones to pull off.

Truth be told, I'd rather use my Hitbox styled TE stick now with fighting games, but I find them nearly impossible to use with the older Capcom games, or just any that don't use shortcuts, and since Windows 10 broke my ability to use it on PC anyway, I can't even use it anymore with retro shmups.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the Dual Sense will perform for these purposes...build quality looks good and it has gyro for some CEMU stuff that requires it (some BOTW shrines, Fatal Frame 5).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The 8bitdo m30 is pretty nice. My only issue is the one I have seems to have a creaky dpad. Not sure if that's a common problem.

For a full, modern-like controller, I keep hearing good things about the sn30pro plus. I have the regular sf30pro and it can feel a bit uncomfortable to use after a while so I think the grips with the plus controller should help a lot.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If you want a pad that's great for both modern and retro game, then my personal recommendation would be to get a Switch Pro Controller.

Probably a controversial opinion 'cause the controller is rather infamous for having a lousy dpad. However after multiple revisions i feel the Procon's dpad (on the newer models at least) is perfectly suitable for fighters that require circular motions. As someone who plays the Street Fighter 2 games from time to time, i find it incredible i'm able to pull off Zangief's 360 motion special on this dpad with ease (emphasis on SF2 here, cause the series became more input lenient with each new entry). There are very few dpads out there that can pull off this feat, and the Procon's dpad is one of them.

No. Just no. besides the crappy build quality, sticks grinding on the housing causing plastic dust, crappy triggers and face buttons the Dpad is a total abomination.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Wii U Pro now that I remembered it that I can try. But it doesn't seem to want to pair up with Windows, it asks for a password.