• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
So lately I've put out a retro-gaming/emulation system with Retroarch and some other modern emulators like CEMU and RPCS3.

The thing is that the Xbone D-pad just doesn't cut it. It's fine foe those modern games, but terrible for arcades and 16 bit systems, I can't even pull off most of Castlevania SOTN spells, I keep missing distances during jumps on platformers...I had emulators on PSP and it wasn't this bad. You can tell that platformers have become more lenient over the years, I have no trouble with Wii U stuff like NSMBU or Yoshi's Woolly World, but a 16 bit one is a whole different story, or a fighting game. Hell I even miss inputs on beat'em ups.

So what I'm asking is for some sort of controller that:

*Has Dual Analog, for Cube, PS2 and other systems.
*Has a stellar Dpad. Like, Saturn quality.
*6 face buttons would be neat but I can do with 4.
*Ideally, not XInput, in order to use it with older PC games that don't recognize it, but it's not a deal breaker either. I can use the DInput converter program. Easy Retroarch setup would be a plus, I've noticed it can be a bit picky sometimes, I have an 8bitdo Mega SG pad and it recognizes it as an XInput device and two of the face buttons are treated as triggers and they're a pain to map properly.
*I don't need it to be wireless.

Any suggestions?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Saturn USB controller has the best dpad I own aside from the original Saturn pad but it obviously doesn't have dual analog sticks.

Aside from that, I love the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+. I'm unsure if it has a non-XInput mode.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8bitdo SN30 pro+ is my goto for everything but fighting games. The dpad works GREAT for side scrollers.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-...t=&hvlocphy=9014965&hvtargid=pla-803829642454

i'd say most people will suggest this. it's a great controller but i don't really like the d-pad for fighting games (i prefer Sega Saturn style d-pads for that).
I have the SN30 pro and I don't play fighters but the d-pad is solid and very pleasurable to use.

Just don't expect too much from the triggers. I use this controller to play games on Switch docked and on my PC and it's easy to start it up and pair between them quickly.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
8bitdo M30 all the way. It's basically an enhanced and easier to find saturn pad.

Oct 27, 2017
8bitdo sn30 pro+ is the best all-rounder. Its so damn comfy. And the software to tweak it is great.

Still waiting on 8bitdo to make a wireless n64 controller/adapter though. One day.....

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
My Saturn USB controller has the best dpad I own aside from the original Saturn pad but it obviously doesn't have dual analog sticks.

Aside from that, I love the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+. I'm unsure if it has a non-XInput mode.

I keep trying all of the "Authentic Saturn" pad knockoffs, and I don't know if they are truly authentic, or the manufacturing process was just radically changed since the actual pads that came with the Saturn were made, but I have tried just about every one of them, and absolutely none of them feel the same with the D-pad. Some come close, and usually the buttons are OK, but even those never feel quite the same. Just last night I ended up playing with a new bluetooth, "official Sega" Saturn pad, and it felt off as well.

I recently got the SN30 Pro+, and while I generally like it, it seems too finicky with its D-pad, although it could be the only game I've played using that so far that's the issue. Trying to hit cardinal directions quite often ends up with diagonals activating. Don't have nearly the same kind of problems with the DS4 D-pad though.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I keep trying all of the "Authentic Saturn" pad knockoffs, and I don't know if they are truly authentic, or the manufacturing process was just radically changed since the actual pads that came with the Saturn were made, but I have tried just about every one of them, and absolutely none of them feel the same with the D-pad. Some come close, and usually the buttons are OK, but even those never feel quite the same. Just last night I ended up playing with a new bluetooth, "official Sega" Saturn pad, and it felt off as well.

yeah, I have the retrobit Sega Genesis pad and it's like the d-pad itself is set a touch too high from where it used to be. even though it's smaller, the 6-button pad in the Japanese MD Mini feels closer to the original.

i have one of the Sega-produced USB controllers from the mid 00s that I still rock lol

SuperBean

Jul 24, 2020
sn30 pro+ is one of the best imo, i also like
PowerA Fusion Pro, i literally just played through SOTN with it on emulator on my pc.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-...t=&hvlocphy=9014965&hvtargid=pla-803829642454

i'd say most people will suggest this. it's a great controller but i don't really like the d-pad for fighting games (i prefer Sega Saturn style d-pads for that).
It's very important that you don't get any other 8bitdo models and only this one. I have used other 8bitdo controllers and their dpads up until this one have been very bad with tons of ghosting. This is the only 8bitdo that has a good dpad, though I've seen reports that some people still have issues with ghost inputs or problems with diagonals.

If you're interested in a non-analog controller, the Pokken Tournament controller is great and has the best DPad I've used aside from an original SNES controller.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a M30 2,4Ghz. I guess that's why it doesn't work well at all, some emulators don't recognize two of the face buttons, Retroarch recognizes them as XInput triggers...

I'll take a look at that SN30 Plus even if I'm not a fan of cross-shaped dpads.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado

Can confirm, this controller is spectacular for playing just about everything. I've been playing through Chrono Trigger and Earthbound with this via emulation on Android and couldn't be happier. I was using an Xbone controller previously, but the d-pad started to frustrate me as well.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Another mention for the SN Pro+. It's been my go to controller for pretty much everything since I got it last year.

Love the hell out of it.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
It's very important that you don't get any other 8bitdo models and only this one. I have used other 8bitdo controllers and their dpads up until this one have been very bad with tons of ghosting. This is the only 8bitdo that has a good dpad, though I've seen reports that some people still have issues with ghost inputs or problems with diagonals.

If you're interested in a non-analog controller, the Pokken Tournament controller is great and has the best DPad I've used aside from an original SNES controller.
There's one exception to this: the M30. That definitely has a great D-Pad. But you'll probably want just those two.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Either this, or an 8bitdo M30 (six button genesis controller type). I own one of each, and switch off depending what I'm playing. I still keep an Xbox controller around for "twin stick" stuff like Robotron, Food Fight, or Ikari Warriors.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the SN30 Pro Plus as my PC controller for months and it's awesome. The M30 is also really good to have if you can afford two.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Get the 8bitdo form factor of your choice and you won't be disappointed at all. If the SN30 Pro+ is a bit steep the SN30 Pro and N30 Pro 2 are also excellent. The N30 Pro 2 is actually my default PC Bluetooth pad.

And have others have said the M30 is basically perfect for any and all 6-button needs. It's great for MAME especially.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list for 8bitdo Pro+

If you're not needing it super quickly, Amazon has lightning deals on the controller like once every 2 months. Follow Wario64 on Twitter and he'll send you a notification when it's about to happen.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, is it specifically the (Sn) edition, which is really just due to the color, or the SN30 Pro+ in general? Before getting a black one as a gift recently, I read tons of complaints about the 8bitdo D-pads generally being hot trash, but that the SN30 Pro and Pro+ were supposed to have fixed them. Then I even saw mixed results regarding those too, and many were saying that they ended up having to mod them to make them good. For older games that only have cardinal directions that I've tried just today it seems to be pretty good, but it also seems like games that have more than just up, down, left and right are very hit and miss and my pad loves to hit diagonals constantly.

Having said that, while I know this is a thread about retro games, I've found the controller to be pretty damn great for modern games that don't really rely on the D-pad for much of anything aside from menu navigation or quick items. My friend that got me the controller, and who actually only owns just the SN30 Pro was saying that one of his triggers kept sticking, but I haven't had any issues with mine yet, and think they actually feel great to use compared to what I had been using up until recently. The DS4 up until now was my controller of choice for the majority of genres I use a controller for (and especially all retro games), while I would use the 360 and now the S controller for third-person shooters and a select few ARPGs. The SN30 Pro+ actually feels good with all genres.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Yes! Everybody talked up 8bit do for the past years so I bought one of their SNES style controllers a couple (?) years ago. Thing was like $40, very expensive. Packaged like an Apple product, very cool taking it out of the box...

Then I played Streetfighter with it. Cannot even consistently pull off special moves. Plugged in my $15 iBuffalo Amazon special SNES (wired) knockoff and the moves go with ease. Been mad at 8 bit do ever since. I was steered wrong. I understand the new one linked has a good dpad, but still.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! Everybody talked up 8bit do for the past years so I bought one of their SNES style controllers a couple (?) years ago. Thing was like $40, very expensive. Packaged like an Apple product, very cool taking it out of the box...

Then I played Streetfighter with it. Cannot even consistently pull off special moves. Plugged in my $15 iBuffalo Amazon special SNES (wired) knockoff and the moves go with ease. Been mad at 8 bit do ever since. I was steered wrong. I understand the new one linked has a good dpad, but still.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the one 8bitdo controller I bought either.

It wasnt the M30, but the smaller form factor with smaller sticks (I think it was the N30 Pro, probably the first model). I returned it soon after because the buttons felt bad and the tiny sticks weren't great either.

It seems like they've gotten better with their current controllers, but after that one I've been hesitant to try them again.
It had good reviews at the time too, which is why I don't really trust reviews when it comes to controllers.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is it specifically the (Sn) edition, which is really just due to the color, or the SN30 Pro+ in general? Before getting a black one as a gift recently, I read tons of complaints about the 8bitdo D-pads generally being hot trash, but that the SN30 Pro and Pro+ were supposed to have fixed them.
It's really only the SN30 Pro+ where they solved their ongoing d-pad issues that plagued their range of controllers based on the NES and SNES controllers. The others all have dodgy d-pads with issues that closely resemble the issue with the Switch Pro controller's d-pad.

There are suggested fixes for this issue which some people have reported as resulting in a big improvement, but the SN30 Pro+ is the first N30/SN30 8bitdo controller that has a reasonably good d-pad out of the box. It's still not superb or anything, but it's considerably better than the controllers that it's usually compared to (the rest of the 8bitdo SNES-like controllers, and the Switch's default controller options).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The SN30 Pro has major dpad issues if you do precision stuff (think fighting games and mario and Celeste). The SN30 Pro+ is WAY better. Still has issues, but not as bad as the SN30 Pro.

So it's better than flat out garbage, but still not good. Which means I may as well just stick with the DS4 for retro games, or even modern games that heavily rely on a modicum of precision with the D-pad.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
The SN30 Pro has major dpad issues if you do precision stuff (think fighting games and mario and Celeste). The SN30 Pro+ is WAY better. Still has issues, but not as bad as the SN30 Pro.
Are the issues ghost diagonals? Can't say I've ever felt my black Pro+ do something like that, played through Hollow Knight and I've also tried Tetris 99/Effect on it without issues.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Are the issues ghost diagonals? Can't say I've ever felt my black Pro+ do something like that, played through Hollow Knight and I've also tried Tetris 99/Effect on it without issues.
Yep, and sometimes if you want a diagonal it'll ghost to a another similar direction. It's painfully obvious in a game like Celeste, where that's dying vs not dying.
It's not nearly as bad as the SN30 Pro, though. I'll stick with my Pokken Tournament controller for kaizo mario and celeste going forward.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

I recently got the SN30 Pro+, and while I generally like it, it seems too finicky with its D-pad, although it could be the only game I've played using that so far that's the issue. Trying to hit cardinal directions quite often ends up with diagonals activating. Don't have nearly the same kind of problems with the DS4 D-pad though.

I also think while it is a good retro pad in general the Dpad is a bit lacking.

The DS4 dpad is definitely the best nowadays, not optimal but good enough to the point i play most "modern retro"and 2D games on the Pro.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
everyone loves the sn30+, but mine kind of sucks. I have to resync with my Switch all the time and if it's plugged up to the USB charging cable on the switch dock while I play games it fucks up the inputs from the other controllers so I have to unplug it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
M30 d-pad > SN30 pro d-pad, all the way. tho SN30 Pro's joysticks are a nice touch if you want an all-in-one pad.

or get the 8Bitdo Bluetooth adapter for Wii and GameCube pads, if you already have a beloved GC controller or any of Nintendo's Classic Controller pads for Wii.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I like my trusty Logitech f310... There is a wireless version (f710 I think).... F310 doesn't have rumble fyi..

The main selling point for you is it has a switch to go from xinput to dinput

51koyDSlaHL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
SF30 Pro if you like the Super Famicom colored buttons. SN30 Pro if you like the SNES colored buttons.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Retrobit's 2.4ghz Saturn controller is fantastic, but I find the 6 button layout so weird for Nintendo games.

SN30 Pro+ is really excellent. Highly recommended.

The smaller SN30 Pro is compact, but both the dpad and stick have issues.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Another recommendation for the SN30+. It covers nearly all the bases and frequently drops to $40.

One day I'd like some sort of Homer of 8bitdo controllers with the M30 d-pad on the SN30+ body, along with six face buttons. And a 2.4g option while we're at it.

the 2.4g DOES work wired, but not wireless. it is remarkable for a lot of stuff. if i don't want to make too much noise w/ my arcade stick, it's what i usually use with MAME.

M30 2.4g is a strange case. Went through a bit of a headache trying to figure it out as I bought one for a Raspberry Pi.

Long and short of it is: the M30 2.4g does work wireless, but it's recognized as a Switch Pro Controller. Not direct input or xinput. If you use third party software/drivers, like a Steam big picture, it will recognize the controller just fine. Unfortunately it's uncommon and limits the utility of an otherwise great controller. Wish 8bitdo would release optional firmware to make it a 2.4g wireless xinput controller. Oh well.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
The SN30 Pro+ dpad is about on-par with the XBO dpad; okay for most games, but absolutely awful for fighters not named MK.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

That 8bitdo SNES pad is hot garbage. I was so disappointed with it. Sorry to hear you made that mistake too. The Buffalo SNES style pad is fantastic If D-input is good enough.

The later USBC 8bitdo stuff is a different story entirely. I have been happy with M30, SN30 Pro, SN30 Pro+. Even the Zero 2 is good imo.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
has anybody using a SN30 Pro+ had any issues with the analog sticks having like a scratchy/bumpy feeling at a certain point in the rotation against the outer rim? i'm probably explaining this terribly, but i've tried two of them in the last few days and they both exhibited something like this. the sticks didn't feel perfectly smooth all the way around. still completely functional but annoyed me. probably gonna try a third one this weekend