• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching all these threads with "Best Game of the decade" or "best DLC of the Decade" , and I thought this one was worth discussing since on this decade it was trendy to get remasterizations and remakes of games we've seen in the past.

Both the terms of remasterization and Remake are different concepts, to differentiate them, i'll post a simple wiki definition and example:

Remake:
A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and contemporary audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially the same title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements of the original game.
Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, sometimes by the fan community. If created by the community, video game remakes are sometimes also called fan game and can be seen as part of the retrogaming phenomenon.
An example of a video game REMAKE would be Metroid: Samus Returns by MercurySteam (love these guys) for the 3DS, a game that took the original gameboy game and reimagined it with 3d graphics (and color) for 3ds.

Remasterization:

Remaster refers to changing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of a previously created video game.
Remastering a video game is more difficult than remastering a film or music recording because the video game's graphics show their age. This can be due to a number of factors, notably lower resolutions and less complicated rendering engines at the time of release.
Modern computer monitors and high-definition televisions tend to have higher display resolutions and different aspect ratios than the monitors/televisions available when the video game was released. Because of this, classic games that are remastered typically have their graphics re-rendered at the higher resolutions

An example of a remasterization would be Resident Evil 4 by Capcom on current gen consoles, which debuted on Nintendo Gamecube, but has been brought over and over to newer consoles with higher resolution and changes to lightning and framerate.

We've got Remake games like Shadow of the Colossus by Bluepoint games on Ps4
shadowcolossus04-656a83eb30d68708175dfe20567e6f31-600x400.jpg

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time 3D by Grezzo
nintendo-3ds-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-rubikcl-D_NQ_NP_957885-MLC29233303733_012019-F.webp

And of course, upcoming Final Fantasy VII REMAKE by Square-Enix

1366_2000.jpeg

On remasterizations we've got games like Last of Us by Naughty Dog on Ps4

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered-analisis.jpg

Final Fantasy 8 for current gen consoles:

https://i2-prod./tech/gaming/article18932404.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/1_Final_Fantasy_8_best_looking.jpg

Anyways, these are only a few examples of the tons of remakes and remasterizations we've gotten this decade, some of which have brought amazing moments to relive.
Feel free to post your favorite Remakes and Remasterizations of this decade, either the ones that you believe deserve to be mentioned because of the incredible job done by a certain developer or because it's simply such a good game for you that you felt really glad to be playing again on current consoles.

Also, feel free to discuss your most wanted Remake/Remasterization, I know I want that Demon's Souls again... Or you know..... Bujingai.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Probably FF7 or RE2. I haven't played either so my personal choice is Majora's mask 3d.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
As of right now....

Resident Evil 2 is the king. And Capcom is on a roll these days. I'm freaking hyped by R3make in the next days.

But I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy VII will hit the highest notes of them all (and a lot of criticism for taking the episodic approach) when it releases in march. It will mark another generation and give hope to the older generation of FF fans.

Worth mentioning.... Bluepoint also nailed Shadow of The Colossus. Jesus that game is gorgeous at 1440p. Outstanding use of motion blur.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ocarina of Time 3D is it. It makes what many consider the best game of all time even better, and doesn't have an obvious points of contention like MM3D/Link's Awakening Switch/WWHD

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
As of right now, Resident Evil 2 with Shadow of the Colossus very closely behind in the best Remake.

As for remasters. TLoU: Remastered is incredible and gets my vote.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Please stop saying that word lol.

RE2 was brilliant, redefined what a remake can be.

Remasters I'd go for TLOU or the Nathan Drake collection, although MCC on pc has great potential after a slightly rocky start with Reach.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
CTR. Took the best kart racer of all time and made it even better.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Remaster: Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 on PS4 - 60 FPS and does not have that weird drive form lag glitch that the PS3 ver had. Also 4 games with 2 movies - that is a lot of content.

Remake: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Modernized remake I'd say RE2 with CTR being close.

As an exact remake Shadow of the Clossus is the best imo.

Spyro, Crash, MediEvil, and Link's are fantastic too.

It remains to be seen if FFVII will dethrone RE2 but it's on the right path.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
The effort put into Call of Duty 4's remaster seems often overlooked to me. It's really fantastic.

Of course, Activision would go on to do everything in their power to detract from that hard work with the multiplayer side but the campaign is still awesome. Now put it on sale on PC for an actually reasonable price, for fuck's sake!

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What about Xbox BC games on the One X? I'm blown away by the quality of games like OG Xbox Games at near 4k, and 360 games like Ninja Gaiden 2 running both at a higher resolution and a better framerate

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The effort put into Call of Duty 4's remaster seems often overlooked to me. It's really fantastic.

Of course, Activision would go on to do everything in their power to detract from that hard work with the multiplayer side but the campaign is still awesome. Now put it on sale on PC for an actually reasonable price, for fuck's sake!
It's called a "remaster" but I'd be hard pressed to find anything in the game that signifies its from last gen.

Great work by Raven, especially for the campaign. It's a beautiful update.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Remasters: GTA 5. New camera view, added new control options, some of the multiplayer content added to the SP, massive upgrade to the visuals.

Remake: RE2. Despite the new camera angle, it retained most of the magic and greatness of the original, while also adding a different type of feel to it.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

ctrnflogopxkhp.png

I'm obviously a little biased, but this might be it for me too. The Crash and Spyro trilogies are strong contenders too, but it's hard to match the amount of content Beenox managed to pack into CTR.

The addition of post-launch microtransactions was a disappointing move that many were rightfully upset about, but I can't say it's had a serious impact on my enjoyment of the game itself.

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed with people saying FF7 isn't this decade (was 1990 part of the 80s?).

In any event, it's RE2. It hits all the notes. If you've never played the OG, it's just a great horror/action game. If you played it back in the day, it somehow lives up to your nostalgia while changing so much. Quite a magic trick it pulled off.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Right now it's RE2 no doubt. FF7 is alot more ambitious and if it delivers it will take the crown, but you never no with SE.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
By the OPs own definition, Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 would be a remaster and not a remake, yet he lists it as a remake. They used the code of the original and just changed the graphics if I remember right. I guess since it looks so different it falls in that grey area between a remake and remaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's Resident Evil 2 easily. Absolutely love what Bluepoint did with Shadow of the Colossus, though. Link's Awakening is also up there, I absolutely love what they did with the art direction - just a shame it's technically spotty (but I didn't find it any kind of unplayable).
Only to completely kill it for me with the pit-stop and (free) battle passes.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go one step further and talk about reboots.

Remake - Resident Evil 2. While I'll always lament how the B scenario was done, it captured the goal of remaking one of the best games ever made.

Remaster - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Modernizing some of the games features to make it more playable really has gone a way to improve the experience. Hard to count this as a remake as it's not exactly a from-the-ground-up take on the game...

Reboot - XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Inspired by the 1994 original, it's not a remake as it doesn't actually follow the plot details at all from the original game, and plays with a different set of systems and focus within gameplay.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. It exceeded my wildest expectations, and is still going.

Although it could still use polish in areas like online play, when you compare it to the original, it stacks up almost perfectly (a persistent physics glitch that occurs on the edges/corners of ramps is my sole remaining qualm), but with so so much more. The people behind this are huge fans of the original, and it shows in the care they took in making the game just right. They're constantly listening to the community and making improvements month after month. From tweaking the gameplay to better match the original pre-release, to tiny aesthetic changes like adding the Velo mask or Dingodile's tail, to quickly addressing controversial oversights with skin names, to fantastic quality of life features like letting you use any driving style with any racers, to the unending flow of brand new additions, from tracks to a new driving style to a whole new racing mode to characters and a remarkable number of cosmetics... it's overwhelming.

Seriously, major, major, major props to Beenox. I've never felt so much affection for a development team. You've spoiled us to the moon and back.

And all this for $40

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
RE2 or Black Mesa if that counts
RE4 is actually one of the worst remasters, it's still got a ton of bugs that never get fixed (outside of mods) & they didn't improve the lighting at all.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Shadow of the Colossus? Not with that fucking Derp face. It also arguably lost some atmosphere with the crispness, which was largely due to technical limitations, but still a loss.

Remake - Resident Evil 2. While I'll always lament how the B scenario was done

Fucking this! If they nailed the zap system it would have been a 10 and GOTG goddammit. Didn't like the extra timed survivor shit either

EDIT

But it is part of the decade, see it goes like this:

That's a decade.

So someone born in 2000 is a 90s child?

Lol

A decade ends on New Year's Eve on the 9th year

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019

Cod MWR needs more respect and should be the standard for remasters.