• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Remaster/Remake of 2020?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 384 45.8%
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Votes: 101 12.0%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 264 31.5%
  • Resident Evil 3

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Command & Conquer Remastered Collection

Votes: 24 2.9%
  • Mafia Definitive Edition

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • Trials of Mana

Votes: 22 2.6%

• Total voters

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Xenoblade took an already very good game and made it unquestionably better in most ways, so that's my vote. Kind of a joke that it isn't on the poll over some of those options.

Sounds like the THPS remakes are also great. Didn't hear much about them so that makes me a bit interested.

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with the previous poster, for the vast majority it's aesthetician changes, the game design isn't touched(as far as I know, still haven't played it yet). "Remake" should really be where the game design is changed. Tony Hawks and Mafia are in a weird middle ground, I don't know where I'd put them *shrug*

Remake doesn't imply new mechanics, it means rebuild fromt the ground up. A remaster is basically an upres of the same assets.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Of those I've only played Tony Hawk, FF7 and Mafia. I like all three but I have to give it to Tony Hawk. They went all in on the game and delivered something really special. Great graphics, music and gameplay that's still really entertaining. It also runs like dream on pc.

Apr 9, 2018
Remake doesn't imply new mechanics, it means rebuild fromt the ground up. A remaster is basically an upres of the same assets.
Right but it's still just an aesthetic change, you can use a walkthrough from the original because so little design wise has changed. It's not a new interpretation of the originals ideas, or a rethinking of mechanics. And for Demons, it's literally using the original game logic according to Bluepoint.
The Crash NSane trilogy is a brand new code base, but it's still the same design recreated, personally I'd still call that a remaster. Design is the distinction, to me at least

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'd pick FF7R for sure. I haven't played Demon's Souls so can't comment on how good that is, but FF7R is head and shoulders above the rest of what I have played. Tony Hawk's is a respectable second though, what a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Right but it's still just an aesthetic change, you can use a walkthrough from the original because so little design wise has changed. It's not a new interpretation of the originals ideas, or a rethinking of mechanics. And for Demons, it's literally using the original game logic according to Bluepoint.
The Crash NSane trilogy is a brand new code base, but it's still the same design recreated, personally I'd still call that a remaster. Design is the distinction, to me at least

No, it's not a new interpretation. I think it wouldn't have been on this list if it was. ;)
DS is the highest-rated game of that list though.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was FF7. I got a console just for that game and I don't regret it. I was really hyped and it met my expectations.

But I will say it's been an excellent year for remakes.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Hawk should be the winner because VV had the hardest job. Demon Souls Remake was gonna be great, no one doubted that, but most people thought THPS 1+2 would suck. It managed to bring back a dead genre for a new generation. That needs to be respected.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Saints Row 3 Remastered was an excellent remaster with vastly improved graphics and tweaks to gameplay. I can't wait until they tackle SR4.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I had zero hope that TH 1+2 would be any good.

VV did a standout job bringing back the IP, and I hope they continue to release more games in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Hawk should be the winner because VV had the hardest job. Demon Souls Remake was gonna be great, no one doubted that, but most people thought THPS 1+2 would suck. It managed to bring back a dead genre for a new generation. That needs to be respected.
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Like Crash, all they had to do to not bomb was to stick close to the originals. It's not like they had to make bad games good, they just had to not make good games worse, which shouldn't be too hard...As in, the low expectations weren't from 1+2 not holding up, it was from the fear they would try and change things

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Probably Demon's Souls, but my vote goes to Tony Hawk because I've been craving this for such a long time.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed FFVIIR but, idk I don't think it falls into my definition of a remake - feels more like a sequel.

Nov 9, 2017
Voting Mafia cause I have no point of reference (either having played the original or the remaster) of anything else in the poll.

Also, Thor 2: The Dark World.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Demons Souls as a game is much better game than any of those remakes in the list.

However I voted FF7R, because it's more than just a remake and a new experience compared to the original.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Tomorrow the remasters of BloodRayne 1 and 2 will be released. I'll comment on them later.

I'd say Mafia is one of the most impressive remakes of an old game this year.
Saints Row The Third Remastered is excellent too.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to vote Xenoblade. The only one from the poll I've played is FF7R and I wasn't a huge fan.

Oct 24, 2019
This makes me wonder, does TGA have a category for best remake/remaster? If not, they should! Geoff Keighley are there any plans to add a best remake/remaster category?

Anyways, it's a tough call between Final Fantasy VII and Demon's Souls, but I think I'll give the edge to Demon's Souls just for being so utterly stunning and technically impressive. I really respect how FFVII did its own thing without being a slavish remake of the original though

Last edited:

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
FF7R should technically be disqualified for spoiler reasons.

It's technically a sequel to Advent Children/Time Travel bullshit

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Its Mafia for me. It really does look incredible and retains the magic from the original one. Love the city, love the cutscenes and especially love the atmosphere.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Considering I've only played RE3R and C&C... I'd give the edge to RE3R. C&C is a great remaster, very, very impressive--but eh... Tib Dawn hasn't aged that great (having all the console missions thrown in was really cool though) (an RA2 remaster would be amazing).

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
FFVII for taking a beloved classic and adding to it, as well as capturing most of the nostalgia of the original & Tony Hawk for not mucking about and just making the games play perfectly and look better.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Have played most of them, and for me it's Demon's Souls by a mile. I just keep pinching myself while playing because it's so incredibly good.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I say DeS because it closely follows the REmake 1 route on how to do a perfect remake:

-Core gameplay intact
-New graphics
-New content
-QoL features

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna let a lot of people off the hook for picking Demons Souls because the PS5 just came out and they're blinded by the shiny graphics, but it's easily Final Fantasy VII. 😜

Demons Souls is fundamentally the exact same game that came out eleven years ago and remakes that don't try to do anything different are just a waste of time to me. Would the remake of the original Resident Evil be as widely praised as it is if they had retained the identical controls, enemy placement and puzzle solutions with no extra content at all? Heck no. What makes the remake so good is that it takes the core design of the original Resident Evil and reimagines it. The controls are vastly improved, the enemies are updated and upgraded, they added new enemies and locations, new puzzles... but it's still clearly still the original Resident Evil. That's ultimately why I like FFVIIR so much. They took what Final Fantasy VII was created a whole new experience based on that idea. They expanded on some things, refined others, gave the game a new combat system, added new bosses and enemies. They added so much damn heart to the game and they struck a fine balance between playing with our expectations and pulling on that nostalgia button. I still get chills when the music kicks in against Airbuster. Plus nobody knows where the story is going next, which is exciting.

So yeah I'm voting for FFVIIR.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
RE3 was my favorite but right behind it is MW2, that was a fun trip down memory lane.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No new areas but new weapons, armor sets, fractured mode.

I see. I don't think that's the same approach as REmake though, as it went much further than that. We're talking about reworked levels, new enemies, new lore, new puzzles, changes to the core gameplay... Demon's Souls follows, not surprisingly, the same approach Shadow of the Colossus did. REmake was something else.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Really would've been much better to put Xenoblade DE in the poll rather than REmake 3 (though I can't deny the schadenfreude felt from seeing it with so few votes).

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I say DeS because it closely follows the REmake 1 route on how to do a perfect remake:

-Core gameplay intact
-New graphics
-New content
-QoL features
Most of the other mentioned remasters/remakes did the same thing though: Tony Hawk, Command & Conquer, MW2, etc. But I think it depends on how much the original game, gameplay-wise, holds up to modern standards.

Demon's Souls already adhered pretty closely to modern standards in terms of controls, camera, etc. I don't think you could do a REmake 1-style remake for RE2 and RE3 these days because you can't really sell a $60 AAA game in 2020 with fixed cameras and tank controls. Same goes for FF7.

I do wish Japanese developers would try to make some mid-budget games that brought back pre-rendered backgrounds though. Western developers have already managed it with games like Disco Elysium, Pillars of Eternity, and Stasis.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the original FF7 is my favourite game of all time, I was very disappointed with the remake. Hell, I still haven't completed it and I got it on launch day.

I haven't got round to trying Demon's Souls yet as I've been pretty absorbed with Astro this evening. Gotta feeling I'm in for a treat though.

Trails of Mana was kinda great to be honest. It was quite the delight.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
XIII was robbed

Demons Souls is fucking phenomenal, but FF7 was rebuilt and played in an entirely different way

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Wish FF7 was remade in the same style Demon's souls was.
I've already said that these days you probably couldn't sell a AAA RPG like that in 2020 with pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles, but it actually would've been nice to have a remake like that: new pre-rendered backgrounds or just real-time environments with the same camera angles, characters that look closer the original concept art, etc.

It wouldn't have been as "prestigious" or AAA, since all the fans wanted basically playable Advent Children, but it probably wouldn't have been as big an investment and they probably could've done the whole game.