• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hello, looking for recommendations for a good game for my girlfriend.
She wants a rally driving game, I haven't played any since the PS2 when Colin McRae Rally was the shit.
2 Player would be a bonus too.
Thanks ..

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
There are Dirt Rally 2 and WRC 9, both are pretty much sim oriented, but they're great and the best rally games ever. If you want more arcade-like, Dirt 4 can do it.

EDIT: Actually, VRally 4 has two player split screen. WRC 9 as well.

Last edited:

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MotorStorm: Remastered Trilogy

2050115.png

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dirt 4 have really good joystick and wheel implementation and great arcade-y handling model

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Dirt Rally 2.0 and it ain't even close tbh.

thing is, try and get the most complete edition possible. they basically doubled the size of the game with DLC and you'd be missing out on a bunch of content if you just get vanilla

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
Dirt Rally 2.0 for hardcore difficulty & tension.

Dirt 4 for 'between arcade and sim', ie. good sense of weight, varied rumble, more forgiving / fun.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
Dirt Rally is best played with a steering wheel, and it's pretty hard, so not a good suggestion for your case IMO.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
wrc 9 needs more love. its a much better representation of the sport than dirt rally 2.0 (which is also excellent)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Dirt Rally 1 in VR.

For non-VR, I think WRC 9 is actually better than both Dirt Rallies, especially if you are using a controller.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
For non-VR, I think WRC 9 is actually better than both Dirt Rallies, especially if you are using a controller.

really!? the pad controls is the ONE area wrc 9 falls behind dr2.0 IMO (though it is a big improvement, almost to the point of a non-issue, of the pretty poor pad controls in wrc 8). i find the driving with a pad in dr2.0 to be basically perfect. it feels so good and intuitive.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dirt Rally 2.0 is the best rally game on PS4. But it's super hardcore too.if you haven't played since Colin McRae Rally... it's not Colin McRae Rally. Clip a corner wrong and you'll flip and wreck your car instantly and need to retire. Doing a race in the dark? Sorry you just hit a bump in the road on the first corner and smashed your headlights. You're finishing the rest of this 10 minute race through the woods in the pitch black dark now.

it's the dark souls of racing games

If you want something a little more pick up and play maybe wait for Dirt 5? It's out soon and looks rad.

V-Rally 4 got some meeeh reviews but I think it's kinda fun.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Not to thread hijack, but would Dirt 4 or 5 scratch my Sega Rally itch? I tried the original Dirt but it was way too hard for me. Give me nice arcadeyness and split screen for the missus.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My roommate played Dirt Rally in VR once, and never again. He says it was the most scared a game has ever made him feel.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
For me, WRC 9 is the most comprehensive experience overall. It deals with DR 2.0's flimsy gravel and tarmac physics and provides a competitive experience on other surfaces too. Plus you get a phenomenal career mode and actual modern rally cars actually in use too.

DR is known for being "hardcore" - which is very true but personally I find its representation of the motorsport a bit too much on the "floaty uncontrollable vehicle" side of things a lot, although a lot of that is down to a good chunk of the car roster. Modern rally is a whole different experience than what once was with the incredible levels of grip and downforce.

ultimately both are great options. Just don't expect much "game" in DR 2.0 or indisputable physics in WRC 9