• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Can be anything. An item, a subscription, a meal, a service.......

My purchase of the year: a set of Apple Airpods 2.
Going from a set of regular earplugs to these was such a delight and worth every penny.

Honorable mentions:

- Prime Video subscription (The Boys! Holy shit!)
- Playstation Now subscription (better than I ever thought it would be. Already had my moneys worth)

So consumer Era? What was yours?

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Bought an Apple Watch in March. Been filling the rings every day (except 2 because I was sick) has lost me a lot of weight.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A set of adjustable dumbbells. Paid a little more (~10%) than retail thanks to scalpers and the quarantine climate but I finally started working out regularly, the way I want with an actual routine, instead of just doing sporadic push-ups and screwing around when I felt groggy. Definitely worth it, even like 6 weeks in.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
4HGZv1s_d.webp

I built a new house!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
- I built a gaming PC. First one in 10 years
- PS5: loving this console, I haven't stopped playing it since launch
- Inflatable hot tub. It's been a great destresser during the pandemic
- Occulus Quest: got the first one for cheap when 2 released and it's fantastic
- Sonos Beam: it sounds great and fits the aestethics of my lounge really well

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
Home Gym. Half rack, adjustable bench, barbell, plates, dumbbells, kettlebells. Whee.

I'm so sore.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Rancilio Silvia espresso machine during the lockdown earlier this year. Life changer having great coffee first thing in the morning.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Ipad pro 11 with the magic key board. Although I wish i got 12.9 . My first foray into the apple echo system since i got mac and phone as well but i only use phone for phone call and Mac for power heavy stuff and Webex meetings.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BEBXABEFTJFIBJIND2OD7TPI2M.png

Under Armour Sportmask. It's the ONLY mask I've been able to run in. It's not perfect but it's miles better than anything else when exercising.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the most random shit I've ever purchased in a single year. I'm not wealthy at all, but years of saving led up to this year.
  • 65" LG C9
  • PS5 Digital w/ extra DualSense controller
  • Dualsense charging stand
  • Xbox Series X w/1TB Expansion Card
  • Xbox One / Series X controller charging stand
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • Surface Headphones 2
  • 1TB Samsung T7 external SSD
  • Asus RT-AX86U Wifi 6 router
  • Razer Kishi for iOS
  • Bunch of digital games / gift cards for Playstation/Xbox/iTunes
  • Eufy smart security camera system (doorbell, floodlight, 2 side cameras)
  • Ecobee 3 Smart Thermostat
It's been a fun year for completely unnecessary electronics.

Oh, and a super nice set of non-stick cookware. Legitimately might be my favorite purchase of the year lol.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Chef knife. I was wondering why I suck at cutting chicken and then I recently realized I was using the wrong knives lol. Such a game changer.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i've bought literally nothing but food and a few videogames on sale, that one chicken curry was amazing and i guess TLoU2.

ohh and i bought some music on bandcamp to support the artists, particularly pleased with buying all of System Officer's songs, some true gems i've been playing on repeat. check him out if you dig melodic indie rock like Pinback (he was a member).

systemsofficer.bandcamp.com

Systems Officer

49531... -z

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
LG CX. Finally upgraded to a 4K tv after like 10 years of a plasma that just never died and it's amazing.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bought three 3 months of Gamepass Ultimate from Target on black Friday ended up getting 6 of em. :) Also, it only charged me for 1 of them. So, i got 18 months for only $20.

That and my 3080 FE at launch. :)

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I have 3. The PS5, the Amazon Prime 1 year subscription, and the subscription to FFXIV.

I really like the PS5 a lot. I've been critical of the PS4 and in the end I think it never had a moment to truly hook me in, like all my other systems. The PS5 did from the get-go though. The way it's so fast still makes me happy every time I use it, and it's nice knowing that I'm playing games like AC: Origins and Days Gone without having to worry about the hardware (or the OS) getting in the way. It's just fun to use, and also really quiet. I've already beaten 3 games on it, and am hoping to have finished a fourth before the year is done.

As for Amazon Prime, I'd decided to subscribe to it in early March to make it easier to get a few things here and there. Of course, it managed to be useful for that but once the pandemic hit it was extremely useful to have that sub. Prime Video supplied a lot of stuff to watch, complementing Netflix very well. The 2 day delivery also came in clutch on multiple occasions: I'd not been able to do Christmas shopping until really late but I'll still have the shopping delivered before then.

The third one would be a sub to FFXIV. It's the only game I played for a large portion of the year, disrupting a lot of my "beat the backlog" plans. But gosh was it fun. Like, really fun. The story is REALLY good and I wound myself looking forward to doing dailies, chatting with my FC, and having fun doing the quests. Sure, it's my first MMO, but it's been a long time since I've been able to experience only wanting to play the one game, and having that game hold my interest for so long. I've stopped playing for the moment since I want to wait for more content to come out, but I know when I get back to it it's going to be the only game I play for a good long while. Playing it definitely helped me keep my mind off of things this year.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I got an HP Pavilion gaming laptop like a week ago. It's not some uber powerful beast of a laptop or anything (literally cost me like $675, incl. tax), but actually being able to play lots of games which I either couldn't run at all or had to run at low settings 720p in order to hit 30 fps on any of my old laptops is pretty great. It's also my first laptop with an SSD in it and holy god y'all weren't kidding about how damn fast these things are when it comes to booting, I timed it and it takes like 10 seconds to go from completely off to logged in and at the desktop.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 5 5600X. Made a huge difference in games I played that were locking up due to 100% CPU usage with my previous CPU.