• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Publisher of the Decade?

• Take 2

Votes: 14 0.8%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 22 1.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 771 45.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 732 42.9%
  • Others

Votes: 168 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Since every thread is decade related type of thing, we don't want to leave publishers alone, do we?
Who's the best publisher of the decade? And what's your reason?

For me, the answer is Sony. I mean, The Last of Us, Bloodborne and God of War are among Top 10 games of all time for me, and the freedom that they spread through WWS is just magnificent and it brings new IPs (sometimes they turn out to be great, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, and sometimes Knack happens.) to keep things fresh, and I just love it. Keep it up Sony. Inject those trees into my thirsty veins.

Now, your turn.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
(sometimes they turn out to be great, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, and sometimes Knack happens.)
This confuses me... you just listed two great games.

tumblr_inline_o8usunX4SD1qgck7s_500.gif

Nov 14, 2017
Sony, best exclusives and it's not even close.

I also enjoyed a lot of Ubi games and a few MS exclusives are incredible (Master chief collection, sunset overdrive, Horizon 4,..), but overall Sony.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
have no issue with Sony or Nintendo getting the vote

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely between Sony and Nintendo. Personally I prefer Sony's output, but there's an obvious argument for both.

Oct 26, 2017
Easily Nintendo for me, but there's plenty of publishers with some damn great output this decade, with Sony being one of them

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradox, Devolver, Capcom, and somehow Bandai Namco (granted, heavily inflated by Dark Souls series) are all topping my most played games this decade.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
(sometimes they turn out to be great, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, and sometimes Knack happens.)

I don't understand? Are you pointing out that lightning struck twice? Shocked that a company can release two such amazing titles in one gen? I agree Sony has been incredibly fortunate with their amazing titles this decade. My vote goes to them.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
For me it's probably a fight between Paradox and Sega. This makes me realize I may not have played more than 3 or 4 games published by any one company this decade.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
XSEED would be up there if it weren't for the recent removal from the credits of CSI&2's PS4 ports ex-staff involved in the originals's localization

Mubbed

Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta, Vanquish, Resonance of Fate, After Burner Climax, Max Anarchy, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown and multiple Yakuza titles.

3D Archives and Sega Ages are great conversions too.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Nintendo or Sony. I love their single player games and it's getting difficult outside of their releases to enjoy AAA gaming for me, due to too much service, open world and microtransactions focus. I'm gonna go with Nintendo since they still do the best (almost only) AAA platformers, but Sony deserve props as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us, Bloodborne, God of War, Astrobot, Spider-Man means it's a no brainer for me. Sony have been on a mad one this past decade.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Clearly the one that brought us

Gorogoa
Florence
What Remains of Edith Finch
Donut County
Ashen
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Outer Wilds
Telling Lies
Wattam

annapurna.0.jpeg

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's really close between Capcom and Sony. Man Capcom has come back in a huge way, I counted them out earlier in the generation but I was dead wrong. They've become one of my favorites again.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Focus Home Interactive. They gave a great platform for independent devs. And helped alot that we still have great AA games.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix? Nier, Nier: Automata and FFXIV are pretty good.

Ubisoft too tbh. Think Rainbow Six Siege is possibly one of the best games ever made, even if I hate it. It's unfathomably cool, new characters are always diverse and the esports events are something I enjoy watching.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My vote goes to Sony. I'm a sucker for stuff like performance capture and cinematic elements in games, and their output has been constantly pushing the boundaries of the industry.

Great runner up mentions to Nintendo, Devolver, and Ubisoft.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Sega
Annapurna
Devolver

In that order. Sega has been excellent the past ten years, FULL STOP.

Sony killed future racing in the past ten years, and Nintendo refused to give NA Xenoblade, so lol to them. And Microsoft? Double lol to you sir.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I will also state here: The decade doesn't end until the end of next year (Decades start on 1, not 0, as there was no 0 AD).

As of so far I'd say as far as breath of good content, it's probably either Annapurna, Nintendo, or Sony's WWS? Closely followed by Capcom getting out of their rut.

Edit: As cmdiego posted elsewhere, "A decade" can be any 10 years, but a lot of people throw these things up meaning the cyclical decades, which my above post refers to.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nintendo, quite easily. Especially for the last couple of years, they've gone absolutely ham. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Pokémon Black, Metroid Samus Returns, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, the list goes on.

And honestly, I'll put Ubisoft up there too. I greatly enjoyed Watchdogs and it's sequel, AssCreed Black Flag, Origins, Odyssey, the Rayman games, MarioXrabbids, Farcry 3, blood dragon, and far cry 4. I liked Steep, Trials Fusion, and the Crew 1 as well.

edit: Sony was decent I feel. I really liked the past two years from them (Uncharted Lost Legacy, God of War, Spiderman, GT Sport, Shadow of the Colossus, Horizon, and Wipeout Omega).

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Capcom started slow but ended the decade with one hit after the other, they're not a bad shout.

Sep 14, 2018
I will also state here: The decade doesn't end until the end of next year (Decades start on 1, not 0, as there was no 0 AD).

Following this the year 2000 would be part of the 90s instead of the 2000s, does that make sense? Who cares about 0 AD we are not living in ancient times.

The 2010s start with 2010, the 2020s with 2020, etc.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix or Nintendo, both putting out consistent works in at least the latter half of the decade.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Just like everyone to keep in mind, that Sony has closed 6 studios this decade. While they've done good, they don't contend for top spot because of this.