• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Never played one, whats is the best Pokemon game to get into the series?

7UuIryp.png

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Black and White are definitely the best Pokemon games, although Heartgold and Soulsilver are also really good.

Don't get anything after X and Y however - all of those games are mediocre at best.

In general my favorites are Platinum and Black and White 2.

To start the series with? You might as well get SwSh. I'm not of fan of it, but the best mainline games in my opinion are all at least a decade old at this point and it's best to stick with Sword and Shield if you want to experience online play.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
In general my favorites are Platinum and Black and White 2.

To start the series with? You might as well get SwSh. I'm not of fan of it, but the best mainline games in my opinion are all at least a decade old at this point and it's best to stick with Sword and Shield if you want to experience online play.
Don't. It'll turn you off completely.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Plat
HG/SS
BW- BW2
SWSH
ORAS

If you've never played the games before though, honestly, starting with Sw/Sh isn't a bad idea. You probably wont have the same gripes that a lot of older fans have with it and it's still a fun game regardless

If you play the DS games then play Sw/Sh, you might not have as fun of a time

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played B/W2, which I have a feeling might be a contender, but other than that it's HeartGold, easily.

Nov 23, 2017
Just get Sword and Shield, its the best game since B/W2. Don't listen to the same old tired complainers that need to diss it in every thread.

Or get Platinum if you have a DS. That's the best game in the franchise.

Nov 17, 2017
Okay Black or White then their sequel Black 2 and White 2, respectively.

Those two sets of games together are the best Pokémon experience the series has to offer. They just do so much right and manage to jam so much content into these games. It's the quintessential Pokémon experience.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Any of the GBA/DS games easily. Personally I'm partial towards Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver, but they're all great games and you can experience the fun of moving a team forwards to the modern day with only a 3DS and a DS Lite, through every single gen.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Heart Gold and Soul Silver are probably the best games for a first-timer to pick up and enjoy

I'd say that Black 2 and White 2 are the best games in the series. Platinum is also excellent.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Pokemon Silver is one of my favourite gaming memories. I haven't had the chance to play HG/SS unfortunately. Hopefully sometime in the future on the Switch.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum. Superb music, tons of endgame content, and genuinely just a cozy and wonderful little game. Game Freak has made more technically competent entries since then, but Platinum really is just all-around the tightest experience you can have in the series, IMO.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Play the DS line of games:
Platinum
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Black/White
Black 2/White 2

The Pinnacle of the series.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been checked out for a while, what are the odds that Platinum is the next one to be "remade"? Felt like playing it again but seems like the logical next remake if they are going to do one.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Best games are Black/White and Black/White 2. I suggest you play both. BW1 has the better story (and the best in the series) while BW2 has more features and content. The story in BW2 is good too, but benefits from having BW1 played first for context. Just don't play them back-to-back or you'll get burned out.

Other recommendations include Platinum (improved version of Diamond/Pearl), HeartGold/SoulSilver (remake of Gold/Silver/Crystal), FireRed/LeafGreen (remake of the original games), and Emerald (improved version of Ruby/Sapphire).

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
OP, do you want to play an entry as a single-player experience or an active multiplayer one?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been checked out for a while, what are the odds that Platinum is the next one to be "remade"? Felt like playing it again but seems like the logical next remake if they are going to do one.
It'll be Diamond/Pearl being remade next with hopefully all the Platinum stuff added in

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Play the DS line of games:
Platinum
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Black/White
Black 2/White 2

The Pinnacle of the series.
Any of these would be ideal.

Although it does depend a little on what you want out of Pokémon. If you want to get into the competitive scene or actually catch them all via trading with people online, you'll probably need to get something newer like Ultra Sun/Moon or Sword/Shield at this point.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The best are the DS games (Platinum, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Black/White)

But if you don't have a DS/3DS or don't want to spend a lot on the games (that may be pirate copies), just play Sword and Shield.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Dont start with the switch games. They are incredibly disappointing.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Black2/White2 are the best to get into the series.
I think Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are also decent if you want a more recent game.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's going to be pretty hard to start with anything pre-3DS because like 90% of copies of the GB, GBA and DS games you can buy online are fake

So while the DS games are generally the best in the series, they're pretty hard to use as starting points

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Why the game names have different colors, what does that means?
The games are usually released in pairs, with a slightly different list of Pokemon catchable without trading (and sometimes minor plot differences) to encourage social interaction. When trying to choose between a pair, just get the one you like the cover of more.

(The entries that aren't released as a pair are all enhanced re-releases of previous pairs. Yellow is and enhanced version of Red/Blue, Crystal is an enhanced version of Gold/Silver, Emerald an enhaced version of Ruby/Sapphire, Platinum an enhanced version of Diamond/Pearl.)