• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone [=, so im taking the fam to Philly this weekend and just want recommendations on the best place to get a Philly cheesesteak around Philly. Please no Pat or Genos or tourist traps. I want a really good spot. I know good spots in jersey and new york, and it has been a long time since i've been to philly. So, wondering what the locals would recommend.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
There used to be this place around Westchester called The Pizza Box which I LOVED, but that was years ago and it looks like it closed... sigh. So sorry I don't have any decent recco :(

OP
OP
Crono

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
So, far the ones im leaning on are

Delassandros
Jims
Johns Roast Pork

Feb 21, 2019
+1 for Johns Roast Pork (but honestly, get the roast pork...that is the sleeper best sandwich in Philly, not the cheesesteak).

Also, if you are near Reading Market, Tony DiNic's is also great for Roast Pork with that broccoli rhaub.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Joe's Steaks & Soda Shop has phenomenal cheesesteaks, but up until 2013 had an extremely terrible name / origin. I genuinely don't know what to make of signal boosting this nor do I have additional information about the present owners. Mods, please snipe this post if I'm in the wrong.

mr_f

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 30, 2021
John's Roast Pork, but if you're going you may as well get the superior sandwich a roast pork sandwich with sharp provolone, greens, and long hots.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Everyone I know that lives or lived in Philly always says Jim's. Also, Pat's is pretty good IMO. Worth hitting up especially if you have it in you to get cheesesteak's from more than one place.

bradley

Feb 15, 2019
If you're going to John's get roast pork. Dalessandro's is also really good, but not really in the city.

OP
OP
Crono

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Think im leaning towards johns roast pork. I was hesitant because i remember seeing it on diner drive ins and dives i believe and I was like ehh, id rather not.. but i trust yall

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If anyone in Indy is reading this thread and wondering the same, go to Hoagies & Hops in Fountain Square or Butler-Tarkington.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped at Abner's near University City the other day, and it was pretty good. I was super hungry, and didn't wait for it to cool down...damn it was hot. The roll was the perfect texture.

Oct 28, 2017
Max's in North Philly.

Full Disclosure, this place is expensive and it's in the hood but I wouldn't send you there unless I know it to be one of the best.

Safer answers include:

Ishkabibble's on South Street
Dalessandro's
Sonny's in Olde City (different but still good)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dalessandro's are great but it's always crowded since it was on TV. I've heard Chubby's across the street is pretty good too

Darknyss

Oct 25, 2017
I like Jim's. Dalessandro's is good too but not as easily accessible.

Also, if you want a good breakfast spot check out Green Eggs Cafe.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
John's Roast Pork should be your #1
Phillips Steaks is great too.
If you want a "fancy" one check out Woodrows on South Street
For Vegan check out Blackbird Pizzeria. Their vegan cheesesteak is just as good as the real thing

Other than cheesesteaks recommendations
Federal Donuts for Fried Chicken and Donuts

Lorenzo's for a big slice or pizza. Not the best worth seeing

pizza ++ / pizza gutt but you have to order it via Instagram

Yards Brewing

Last edited: