• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Hello folks,

I don't know if this belongs to gaming or etcetera but it's gaming related so I'll just post here.

I want to get a new TV and I want it to be a Philips TV with ambilight because my wife and I are in love with the ambilight system since it is just gorgeous.

Since I game quite frequently I of course want it to be the best possible TV for my gaming experience. I know Philips is not as good as other brands here, but that's okay.

I read a few articles online and some were recommending the Philips 65PUS7601, saying it had less input lag than other Philips TVs.
65 inches is the perfect size for me (for a TV!) and the data sheets and descriptions and reviews look good on this, I think. The price with around 1.499 € seems okaaaaay.

I play a lot of fighting games, online and offline, and games like fortnite. So naturally it's important to have smooth visuals and low input lag/response time.

I'm not an expert on this topic so I need y'all to help a brother out here.

I'm in Europe if that matters. Thanks.

PS: everybody should try out ambilight, it's amazing to look at in the dark.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There isn't a lot of info online as Phillips Technicolor only make sets for Europe, however every review for any Phillips set I've checked has about 40ms of input latency, which ain't great.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah anecdotal maybe but when I tried to play a game on an Ambilight the input lag was horrendous. The worst I've felt on any tv.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
i use the 55pus8303. the input lag is okay, movement is great, and the ambilight of course works great. pretty good sound as well for an inbuilt speaker.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Dont get a Philips, they make mediocre tvs. If you are going for value on the low- to mid end, go Samsung 7 series. You can buy ambilight like LED strips in Ikea and have them on the back of your tv. Granted, they wont switch colors dynamically light the ambilight, but at least you will get decent black levels and low input lag.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As someone who sella tvs for a living. Don't get a philips. They have more bugs than the rest of the big brands combined.
At one point they have to RMA a ton of sets because it took them 6 months to fix a software issue that disabled the remote

Oct 27, 2017
You can just get a better tv and then a third party solution like dreamscreen.

I've had their 4k kit for about a year or so and I've loved it, few glitches aside.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
My colleague Vincent wrote a review of that set here
https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/65pus7601-201610294376.htm

40ms of input latency
Thats a 2016 model, not likely to be available anymore. Thats another thing with Philips; because they sell very few tvs outside of certain parts of Europe, you get fewer and less reliable reviews. Hdtvtest.co.uk is a great site, but their Philips reviews are few and far in between, and thats with the UK being one of Philips stronger markets.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
The OLEDs are amazing, especially if you use them as a "monitor" as in not using the software at all. I can't say anything about the rest. The most comments here seem to be from other TVs, since the OLEDs have very good reviews.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thats a 2016 model, not likely to be available anymore. Thats another thing with Philips; because they sell very few tvs outside of certain parts of Europe, you get fewer and less reliable reviews. Hdtvtest.co.uk is a great site, but their Philips reviews are few and far in between, and thats with the UK being one of Philips stronger markets.
That's the model the OP mentioned, I assumed that was the one he was looking at.

OP
OP
Red Fire

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't a lot of info online as Phillips Technicolor only make sets for Europe, however every review for any Phillips set I've checked has about 40ms of input latency, which ain't great.
Yes, around 40 ms is what I have read online. Don't know if 40 ms is too noticeable.

Yeah anecdotal maybe but when I tried to play a game on an Ambilight the input lag was horrendous. The worst I've felt on any tv.
As someone who sella tvs for a living. Don't get a philips. They have more bugs than the rest of the big brands combined.
At one point they have to RMA a ton of sets because it took them 6 months to fix a software issue that disabled the remote
Hmm. This is not very encouraging. Damn.

My colleague Vincent wrote a review of that set here
https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/65pus7601-201610294376.htm

40ms of input latency

you can buy or build sets to create an ambilight effect for HDMI sources, there are a few if you want a project, lightberry.eu is one I've used in the past
This is super helpful, really appreciate it. Thank you.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have an 803 OLED in my living room, and It's honestly the best tv I've ever used. I bought it after the Android 8update rolled out and have had no real software issues to speak of. However, it's rare that I game on it (I have a games room/office for that).

It's honestly fine for the vast majority of games I play, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for hosting a fighting game tournament. 40ms sounds high to me, but I've not done any measurements on my set.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
As someone that still play on a Philips pre-ambilight, this is sad to hear. When I get a new TV, I would have loved an ambilight one, but now I might reconsider.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've gamed on ambilight TVs for 14 years now or so. Never had a complaint. Hoping to get a top tier OLED one eventually.

Gaming performance isn't what you buy them for but they are far from debilitating. Make your choice: out of the box gaming first TV, or out of the box Ambilight.

I think my current model is a 6703.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
It's honestly fine for the vast majority of games I play, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for hosting a fighting game tournament. 40ms sounds high to me, but I've not done any measurements on my set.

40ms was the best you could get when the PS4 launched. My Sony has 36ms and I don't notice any issues with that.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
1-40ms latency is fine, stop acting like it's unplayable cuz that's just not true.
2- I dont know about LCD Philips but Oled Philips are among the best on the market, they rival if not outperform both LG and Sony.
3- Their Oled screens are slightly cheaper than Sony's and Lg's.
4- I would recommend the OP to get eiher the 803oled, or wait for the 804 which will release next month and will have a greatly reduced latency (20ms) and wait for black friday. If you want a 65' screen, it will be more expensive than 1500€ tho..

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
1-40ms latency is fine, stop acting like it's unplayable cuz that's just not true.
2- I dont know about LCD Philips but Oled Philips are among the best on the market, they rival if not outperform both LG and Sony.
3- Their Oled screens are slightly cheaper than Sony's and Lg's.
4- I would recommend the OP to get eiher the 803oled, or wait for the 804 which will release next month and will have a greatly reduced latency (20ms) and wait for black friday. If you want a 65' screen, it will be more expensive than 1500€ tho..

You do realize that every single OLED out there used LG screens right? I'm not denying that they can have better cpus etc but the screens cannot be better because they are the same:)

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hello folks,

I don't know if this belongs to gaming or etcetera but it's gaming related so I'll just post here.

I want to get a new TV and I want it to be a Philips TV with ambilight because my wife and I are in love with the ambilight system since it is just gorgeous.

Since I game quite frequently I of course want it to be the best possible TV for my gaming experience. I know Philips is not as good as other brands here, but that's okay.

I read a few articles online and some were recommending the Philips 65PUS7601, saying it had less input lag than other Philips TVs.
65 inches is the perfect size for me (for a TV!) and the data sheets and descriptions and reviews look good on this, I think. The price with around 1.499 € seems okaaaaay.

I play a lot of fighting games, online and offline, and games like fortnite. So naturally it's important to have smooth visuals and low input lag/response time.

I'm not an expert on this topic so I need y'all to help a brother out here.

I'm in Europe if that matters. Thanks.

PS: everybody should try out ambilight, it's amazing to look at in the dark.
You can get the older oleds for next to nothing such as the 9002.

Really nice TV uses the same panels as Sony, LG etc.

Last time I looked you could get them for about 750

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I have a Phillips with Ambilight for gaming and it's great. I don't remember the model, but it's an old model now, but imput lag was great on this model.

Also, Philips TV have the best sound in the market for integrated speakers. I don't even use my home cinema now.

Just remember that Philips TV are very bad for playing downloaded movies because codecs are bad.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Yes, around 40 ms is what I have read online. Don't know if 40 ms is too noticeable.
~40 -> ~20 is about what I get between regular and game mode on my set. You notice right away when flicking through menus and everything feels sluggish. Going between my TV and 1ms monitor isn't as jarring.

40 isn't the worst and you will get used to it over time, but I wouldn't sacrifice decent lag for ambilight if that's what it comes down to.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Last years models have ~ 30 ms input lag. Cleared most of Enter the gungeon in the bedroom while playing on a pus7303 model. I use ambilight as ambient lighting solution. Normal modes where to much for me, however, the ambilight in game mode does not lag behind at all. Was standing still and spinning the camera around my character 360 degrees and the ambilight colours always matched the ones on screen.

Edit: Bought a samsung q85r a couple of days ago. The stated input lag is ~ 15 ms, do not seem to notice any difference brteeen 15 and 30 ms.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
You can just get a better tv and then a third party solution like dreamscreen.

I've had their 4k kit for about a year or so and I've loved it, few glitches aside.

Do these things add input lag? I assume you have to route your video through them so they can react accordingly. I have also concerns that they may fuck things up when variable refresh rate etc becomes more common on TVs.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do these things add input lag? I assume you have to route your video through them so they can react accordingly. I have also concerns that they may fuck things up when variable refresh rate etc becomes more common on TVs.

the one I had went off via a splitter, so the original image was untouched and there was no input lag as a result.
I've wondered about VRR too, will it just behave as a "display" vsync turned off , or will devices physically freak out?

Nov 8, 2017
Shame to hear in this thread that Philips have gone so far downhill. My 42" 2009 Philips TV still works great for gaming (not ambi-light though).

I'd recommend LG. The C7 is amazing.

Avoid Samsung, terrible quality and the firmware is completely broken. HDMI-CEC and ARC didn't work on the one I bought and Samsung support just shrugged their shoulders and blamed all my other devices because they're not made by Samsung, then said "maybe it'll be fixed in a future firmware update". I returned the set within a week, then later got the C7, which worked perfectly (just like my 2009 Philips TV did before it). Night and day difference in terms of quality of everything between the LG and Samsung, even right down to the packaging and instruction manuals.

OP
OP
Red Fire

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Last years models have ~ 30 ms input lag. Cleared most of Enter the gungeon in the bedroom while playing on a pus7303 model. I use ambilight as ambient lighting solution. Normal modes where to much for me, however, the ambilight in game mode does not lag behind at all. Was standing still and spinning the camera around my character 360 degrees and the ambilight colours always matched the ones on screen.

Edit: Bought a samsung q85r a couple of days ago. The stated input lag is ~ 15 ms, do not seem to notice any difference brteeen 15 and 30 ms.
Yeah I just found out about the PUS7303 or rather the PUS7363 (which is the same just with a differently designed frame). It seems to have 30 ms which seems way better than the 40 ms the 7601 has. And it's only around 800 €! Why is it so cheap?? I might bite on this one. All the retailers seem to be sold out on it though. Might have to get it online.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I just found out about the PUS7303 or rather the PUS7363 (which is the same just with a differently designed frame). It seems to have 30 ms which seems way better than the 40 ms the 7601 has. And it's only around 800 €! Why is it so cheap?? I might bite on this one. All the retailers seem to be sold out on it though. Might have to get it online.

One thing to note is that all series below 8 for Philips, LG and Samsung are 50hz screens.
They all use various software to enhance that but I've seen and heard complaints of stuttering images when playing fast-paced games or watching sports.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I have the 50PUS6753 and I like it a lot for gaming. There is game mode but for fighting games I typically put it in Monitor Mode which I think cuts the input lag down even more. I seem to do better in Smash in monitor mode. I play Mortal Kombat in the HDR game mode and I'm not a great player or anything but I win matches from time to time.

I did have a problem where bouncing between 'picture styles' I end up with horrendous input delay that was fixed by going into monitor mode then back to game mode. Kinda like some processing wasn't getting switched off properly when bouncing between styles. Now I just make sure I only change between game and monitor when using the console.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that every single OLED out there used LG screens right? I'm not denying that they can have better cpus etc but the screens cannot be better because they are the same:)

This is not true. LG Display sells all the panels, but they are not necessarily the same as the panels LG Electronics uses. Other companies sometimes pay more to get customized panels.

This new model employs a 2018 OLED panel, supplied by manufacturing giant LG Display. As well as utilizing a different anti-reflection layer to reduce screen reflections and present a more 'neutral black', it claims a modest brightness boost (10 per cent, to a claimed 1,000-nit peak) by virtue of a tweaked sub-pixel design.

The company explained that they take LG.Display's OLED panel off of the production line earlier in the process in order to customize it. The main goal is to increase brightness levels (both HDR peak and average), which is achieved by using custom power management and cooling solutions. Panasonic did not disclose brightness specifications but at the event it was indicated that in addition to having a less aggressive ABL (average brightness limiter), GZ2000 is capable of hitting 1000 nits peak brightness.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is not true. LG Display sells all the panels, but they are not necessarily the same as the panels LG Electronics uses. Other companies sometimes pay more to get customized panels.

Good to know!
I do somehow doubt that they manage a significant improvement however. We have display units of LG, Philips and Panasonic and none of them stands out over the others. Well.. the Panasonic have gotten a massive burn-in but quality wise they look very similar 😅

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Forgive my ignorance, but what is Ambilight?

I've got a 3 channel ambilight TV. Essentially, along the right and left side of the TV, plus along the top, is a series of responsive leds that react to the visual on the TV.

For example, you're watching a nature documentary - on the right of the screen is a volcano with magma, the left is an ocean. Out out the right of the TV, it shines many hues of orange and red onto the wall to mirror what is happening on screen, on the left you get various tones of aqua. It really brings the visuals to life somewhat. Plus, for me, it solves the "gloomy TV corner" issue I would have in the room!

If I can get a shot of something tonight, I'll upload it. Running the Abzu trailer looks fantastic!

OP
OP
Red Fire

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
So reading online further, some sites say that Philips claims that the 70PUS6704/12 has an input lag of only 20ms. Can someone who knows better confirm/deconfirm? Because that would be more than the perfect TV for me.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
I bought a Philips 65" PUS7303 (EU) and are superhappy!! Great picture/contrast and the inputlag when playing with HDR (Xbox One X and PS4 Pro) is really low.. Better than My previous Sony 8096 (EU)...And Ambilight is awesome (IMO)

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump this but there's a 2019 Philips model that seems to not have a single review online that I can find. I wonder if someone knows about its quality and characteristics regarding input lag, native refresh rate and overall value for 429 EUR (43 inches).

They call the model "The One" although it's numbered either 7304 or 7354. Can't find any info really other than it looks nice, but I wanna game on it apart from watching things.

Anyone has a reference or experience with it?