• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by the thread about bad pc ports lets list out the best pc ports.

Couple of ground rules:

Games where mods significantly improve the experience can be included. Make sure to call out if this is the case.

Games that may have been bad ports but were fixed can be included. Again make sure to call out if this is the case.

I'll start out with a few:

1. Castlevania Lords Of Shadow: the console versions of this game had a framerate limited to 30 fps but it never came close to that. Most of the time the game was in the teens in framerate.

The pc versions was a revelation. Locked 60 FPS felt so much better than the console and it looked significantly better.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2: It had some issues at launch but once those were fixed the game looked and ran amazing blowing the consoles away. Gunplay using the keyboard and mouse was so much better.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Fox engine looked and ran amazing on pc. Not only that but the mods available for this game really make it the definitive experience and allow you to bypass the bs micromanaging and waiting around building out your base.

4. Halo Master Chief Collection: Released in a phased approach this Collection on pc runs and looks amazing plus mouse and Keyboard controls are so much better than a controller.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
RDR 2 definitely isn't a contender for best PC port regardless of how much it pushes the hardware.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I feel that a game like RDR2 which had a notoriously troubled PC port that was fixed later shouldn't really be in the running for "best PC port".

A good port is good from day 1. That's the point of porting.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak anecdotally but GTA5 has performed incredibly well for me. Much better than the GTA4 port.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Back in PS3/360 days when there were tons of bad PC ports, I remember thinking that Just Cause 2 was really good. In particular I was impressed that I could swap seamlessly between mouse+KB and controller, and it would even update buttons on the UI instantly. That's all pretty common these days, but back then it was quite a nice surprise

Jul 7, 2021
Batman arkham knight eventually was a great port after being the worst port in a long while, but I remember Batman Arkham Asylum being great!

The physx effects and the 60 fps were transformative. Added so much to the gameplay and the mood of the place.

Way better place to play the game than the consoles.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder when we will be able to play RDR2 at max settings without pushing our hardware to it's peak

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seeing GTAIV in the other thread was weird to me since I played it earlier this year at 4K60 and it ran very well. Looked and played way better than it ever did on PS3, had lots of graphics options, and never once crashed in the 80 hours I spent playing the story and DLC. Only issue I ran into was with a late game QTE not working properly at 60 FPS, so I had to lock it to 30 for that one part.

Tbh, the port might have been bad when it first came out, but I'd argue that it's pretty damn good now.

I haven't played it in a while, but the Destiny 2 PC port is also incredibly good.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Deus Ex Human Revolution. That it had an interface overhaul when playing with keyboard and mouse was above and beyond for 2011. Sometimes it was simple things like scrolling documents or using the number pad to enter codes. Resizing the interface to be smaller, making sense for playing on a monitor. An item bar instead of a radial menu.

It'd be a great port if released today, but it's notable in a time when PC ports were more misses than hits.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
In terms of visual difference compared to console versions this generation it's probably FFXV, which makes it even more funny since it's predecessor FFXIII probably deserves the worst PC port of the 2010's award.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Deus Ex Human Revolution. That it had an interface overhaul when playing with keyboard and mouse was above and beyond for 2011. Sometimes it was simple things like scrolling documents or using the number pad to enter codes. Resizing the interface to be smaller, making sense for playing on a monitor. An item bar instead of a radial menu.

It'd be a great port if released today, but it's notable in a time when PC ports were more misses than hits.

Don't forget you could seamlessly switch between controller and keyboard. Which is great for things like "I prefer to play with the controller but I love having weapons and items mapped out without using the selection wheel." So good.

Jul 7, 2021

Wasn't the pc the main platform for that game though?

I could be wrong but I recall the pc version getting the lions share of attention. I think the console versions were the ports.

But I guess that distinction might just be semantics especially now a days were unless it starts as an exclusive all platforms are worked on in tandem.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Gears 4 / 5

Doom 2016 / Doom Eternal

Forza Horizon 4

Rise of the Tomb Raider / Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Wolfenstein The New Colussus

Days Gone

The Witcher 3

Alan Wake

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. Nixxes does good work.

DXHR's PC version could change its UI to "controller mode" on the fly if you plugged in a controller, or used a controller that was plugged in. And then it could change back to kb/m if you went back to those controls. It was great.

Wasn't the pc the main platform for that game though?

I could be wrong but I recall the pc version getting the lions share of attention. I think the console versions were the ports.

But I guess that distinction might just be semantics especially now a days were unless it starts as an exclusive all platforms are worked on in tandem.
No, I'm pretty sure PS3 was the main version. I remember hearing something about how Nixxes decided to remove the "Press start" screen in the PC version because they didn't want the game to look like a console port.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Doom and Doom Eternal are no brainers here. So optimised and so many features/options to tweak and make both games run incredibly well.

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV and Death Stranding come to mind. Both run great on modest contemporary hardware.

I'm not sure Doom and Doom Eternal should count since they seem like PC-first games, but they scale up and down very well on PC hardware.

Capcom's recent games are great on PC too. Devil May Cry 5 and the RE2 and RE3 remakes run very well on PC. Shame about Village.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm pretty sure PS3 was the main version. I remember hearing something about how Nixxes decided to remove the "Press start" screen in the PC version because they didn't want the game to look like a console port.
Which is actually a shame because I would've loved to have a high res version of that start screen lol

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I forgot to mention Alien Isolation

Yeah Alien: Isolation is insane. It ran at 200+ fps at 1600p on the machine I built in 2012. Granted it was a tri-SLI system with 3 GTX 680s, but still. It dipped into the teens on consoles so it was quite the improvement. It runs at 60-100 fps at 8k on my current machines.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Final Fantasy X is stuck at 30fps like all versions because of how the game is made, but it has cheats that are only available on that version as far as I know, and even a potato gaming pc like a 970 can run it at 4K.

Dragon Quest XI S looks great on PC too, I love seeing the Cruelcumber death animations at 160 fps.

The Yakuza games also run really well on PC, as does Persona 4 Golden. Most recent SEGA games on Steam are pretty good ports in general.

And it's not really a port, but if you're going to play Skyrim, PC is definitely the best version. Even though the consoles have mods now, the PC version is in another league

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Tomb Raider Legend feels like a remaster released this year instead of technically a PS2 game.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth is Max Max(2015) not mentioned yet? Game runs like a dream at 1080p and 1440p over 100fps on any decent rig and it's even playable at 4k on a GTX 1070.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
In the era of lacklustre/absent PC ports, the post game launch support for All Stars Racing Transformed on PC was frankly leagues above the rest, and better than some games even get now frankly. And without a doubt contributed to the games continued popularity for a good year or so after its launch.
It's a real shame that we haven't seen anything quite like it from SEGA or Sumo Digital since.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X is stuck at 30fps like all versions because of how the game is made, but it has cheats that are only available on that version as far as I know, and even a potato gaming pc like a 970 can run it at 4K.

Dragon Quest XI S looks great on PC too, I love seeing the Cruelcumber death animations at 160 fps.

The Yakuza games also run really well on PC, as does Persona 4 Golden. Most recent SEGA games on Steam are pretty good ports in general.

And it's not really a port, but if you're going to play Skyrim, PC is definitely the best version. Even though the consoles have mods now, the PC version is in another league

If that's the definitive version of dq xi I don't include it as a good port cause of the graphical downgrade. I am still holding out hope modders can fix that.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Came in to mention Lords of Shadow (1 & 2), glad that's already covered. They ran perfect and bug free from day one and look amazing.

RDR2 is a resounding NO from me, as I still had issues with them a month back. Audio balance gets screwed up on launch and has to be adjusted in Windows settings, and using the wrong HDR settings can make the game start with a black screen, only fixable via command parameters.

Dec 7, 2017
I really enjoyed QLOC's work on DmC Devil May Cry.
the console versions(360/PS3) being locked to 30fps was a bit disappointing.

However, I had a pretty low-to-medium gaming rig at the time and it played super well, and looked really good, 1080p, 60FPS, everything set to the max.
What really impressed me too was the control mapping for the keyboard, I expected to play it with a controller, but I actually really enjoyed it with a keyboard and mouse.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
Monster Hunter World in its current state is pretty good, they've added so many m&k QoL features since launch and even removed the shitty DRM.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being very impressed at how well Mad Max ran. With my SLI of GTX 970, I could supersample it to 4K with max settings and still get 60fps.