• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I now have a display that can do 120 fps (at 1440p at least), and after seeing Cold War on PS5 running at these frames I now pretty much want to see any and everything that supports it. My word does the smoothness of 120 look nice, I've seen the light! I don't have a beast PC or anything, but I figure my 2060S can put in enough work to drive 120 for a decent amount of games from the prior gen but maybe I'm off base with that assumption. Curious to try regardless. Hoping Doom Eternal can hit that on my machine, and I read Cuphead support 120 fps which would be amazing to experience with that animation.

So what does PC Era have to recommend in this area?

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I would say just play what you already want to play. No use in playing anything just to 'test' it out. You'll feel the difference regardless.

That said, eSports titles and anything a couple of years old that you missed out on or didn't have time to play before now would sing on that thing.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 if ya got good hardware. Can usually hit 100 fps at all times. I have the odyssey g7 which can go up to 240 and in games that can hit that it is perfectly smooth almost crt like.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is your TV VRR or Gsync/ Freesync?

Death Stranding and Gears 5 are recent games that are likely to hit north of 60 on your PC at 1440p, give or take a maxed out setting.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'd think more games than not would work at that refresh rate, so I guess just try whatever games you're currently playing. Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal look great at high refresh rates, in terms of specific suggestionsā€”the older game being easy to drive. (Though, I think Eternal should be possible on your hardware, depending on settings.)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was Warframe, there's so much chaos, effects, and debris exploding all around and I was able to track targets even though my eyes were being bombarded by confetti. It felt like those Quicksilver scenes in X-Men movies but normal speed, after never trying 144fps before.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If you want objective proof that 120+ is better, then Aim Lab.

If you just want to admire the eye candy then maybe Star Wars: Squadrons.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Apex Legends is also a good choice since it's not too heavy on the CPU either

Doom are also great choices. I would also suggest trying some racing games too, like Forza Motosport 7, though Horizon 4 will probably run at 120 in 1440p (unsure, but maybe?)

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
If you turn down some settings and not push Ultra on everything, you can reach close to 100fps in almost all these titles at 1440p.

Apex
Destiny 2
Overwatch
Halo MCC
Forza games
Battlefield 1
Far Cry 5
Rainbox Six Siege
Rise/Shadow of the TR

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
- Warframe (free)
- Valorant (free)
- Titanfall 2
- Ghostrunner

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal should be able to do it. I showed it to a friend of mine a while back, he was in the market for a new monitor. Seeing a fast-paced game like that at a rock-solid 144Hz blew his damn mind.

Any older game will be able to do it, of course.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You already have the first game I'd recommend: Doom Eternal

Beyond that, most any FPS that runs higher than 60 FPS benefits immensely. The higher framerate really helps with twitchy camera controls.

Similarly, sidescrollers that actually support framerates over 60 are great. Lateral camera movement looks a lot better at higher framerates. Less blurring.

This game doesn't fall into either category but I think the original Trails in the Sky games look a LOT better at 120hz. They have a 3/4 camera angle and the screen scrolls very quickly. Much less blurry at 120 FPS.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
2D games look amazing at high frame rates. You could try Hollow Knight, Spelunky 2 or Rogue Legacy. For 2.5D Bloodstained is nice at high frame rates.

Oct 25, 2017
One game I really like playing at 144fps is Tony Hawk 1+2. That game is great looking at high refresh rates.

Basically any game with driving will be good too. GTA V is actually really good at high frame rates, I think because of the FOV they use when you're driving.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
I actually found Sekiro to be exceptionally enjoyable at 60+ FPS, it takes some very simple "modding" but the game play and effects (sparks!) really benefit.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Really any FPS should work. Doom and Eternal run real nice on PC and you'll see a high framerate on them.

If you're into multiplayer games, try your favorite competitive game too. Something like Apex, Rainbow Six, CSGO, etc. will all hit triple digit framerates.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Any fps.

But to name one that I really liked at high framerates and not an fps, Sekiro.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Sayonara Wild Hearts is very undemanding and is absolutely amazing at high frame rate! With how quick the camera pans + animations are, it benefits massively, and helps an already amazing game shine even more šŸ˜

Also, pro tip; check PCGamingWiki on any new game you play! Typically, the video settings sections on game entries will highlight whether they support 60+fps:

Xc2DXMx.png

If the game doesn't support 60+fps natively, they'll sometimes have a mod or other fan solution listed, though sometimes the game coding logic just won't allow for it.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
Rocket League. It's free to play, lots of fast movement and camera switching means you'll be able to FEEL the smoothness.

Word of warning: not every single PC port is able to go above 60 (if there's no "FPS cap" option in the menu, that's not a good sign). If you're not sure, check the game on PCGamingWiki

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
XCom. The dramatic camera zooms when performing an action really surprised me when I bought a 144hz display. Company of Heroes as well.