• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you like most?

• Obi-Wan's new Krayt Dragon call

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • "Jedi Rocks" song performance at Jabba's palace

Votes: 19 10.8%
  • CGI Jabba scene

Votes: 33 18.8%
  • "Maclunkey!"

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Greedo shoots first

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Vader's big "Noooo!"

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Prequel Anakin force ghost

Votes: 49 27.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Changing words and letters from English to whatever they use in Star Wars.
????

This scene is 100% unnecessary. Jabba doesn't say anything Greedo hasn't said already. Hell, Han repeats his lines too.
I'm betting there's a different version of the exchange with Greedo that would have been used had Jabba not been cut. But when Jabba was reinserted they didn't use it, because they didn't want to remove or fully replace existing scenes.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting there's a different version of the exchange with Greedo that would have been used had Jabba not been cut. But when Jabba was reinserted they didn't use it, because they didn't want to remove or fully replace existing scenes.

I doubt it. It's well known that Star Wars was saved in the edit. I'd be willing to bet George would have left both scenes in, oblivious to the redundancy. After all, that's just what he did in the Special Edition.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The Ben dragon call change is weird.

It got changed for the SE's, then again for the blurays (maybe even another time for the DVD's? Can't remember).

The original was fine, even the SE one is fine, but I dislike the Blurays version. Sounds like a sound effect being run through a digital filter, which is probably exactly what it was

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I doubt it. It's well known that Star Wars was saved in the edit. I'd be willing to bet George would have left both scenes in, oblivious to the redundancy. After all, that's just what he did in the Special Edition.
That's always been heavily overstated, and what I described is a basic part of filmmaking. That's why these "four hour work print cuts" exist in most cases. Redundancies that give options in the edit. Usually extra minor dialogue and extended exchanges.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, this is one of those sarcastic OPs. Wonderful.

Anyway, it's the CG Yavin ships (the original model shots look awful) and ESB Wampa who looks genuinely scary

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Cloud City changes
McDiarmid face on TESB instead of whatever
Victory Celebration in ROTJ

I've never liked Yub Nub, so DGAF.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
None of these, It's adding the Outrider to one of the wide shots of Mos Eisley.
Along the same lines: there's a shot when they're in the cloud city where Han is running down a hallway; in the original trilogy, the hallway has a bunch of spots in the wall that look like they could be windows, but they're all covered up, and the re-release opens those windows so you get a nice view of the city that would befit the upper-crust of that society.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I hope I love to see an official release with this redone fight

youtu.be

Star Wars SC 38 Reimagined

For more short films like Scene 38 support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/fxitinpost Pick up a T-Shirt or Hat and support the channel: https://www....

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Poll options aren't even anything good! I really like the cloud city changes. I could chuck out the rest of the edits in all 3 though. Maybe the added Wampa shots could be kept.

Cloud-City-1.jpg

Cloud-City-2.jpg
It's this. If you lived in the clouds, you'd have windows.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Revenge of the Sith Palpatine is so fucking awful looking. But, still a good change to put him into Empire. Crazy that so little thought/effort was put into the Emperor's appearance originally.

Ghost Anakin change is also good. Dude who played Anakin in a single short scene, versus the guy that played Anakin for two entire movies. No contest, replacing him was the right call.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Ew, why in the world would ANYBODY vote for that atrocious Jabba scene. It's bad in every way.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the new ROTJ ending with Coruscant added and yeah I felt that way before the prequels, like I liked it better in 1997. I liked most of the Cloud City stuff too I think.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Revenge of the Sith Palpatine is so fucking awful looking. But, still a good change to put him into Empire. Crazy that so little thought/effort was put into the Emperor's appearance originally.

Ghost Anakin change is also good. Dude who played Anakin in a single short scene, versus the guy that played Anakin for two entire movies. No contest, replacing him was the right call.

Why did they have to do it so badly though? Surely they could have shot an actual pickup and not just cropped the head off some costume test and pasted it onto Shaw's body. The eyeline is not even close to where it should be.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Monkey emperor is good, actually. Way better and understated than replacing him with prequels-era full-ham McDiarmid who uses 10 syllables to say "good". Even as a kid I could comprehend that these are movies and sometimes designs change between movies and it's fine.

I'd keep the Cloud City changes and (some) of the Mos Eisley improvements and ditch the rest.

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any fan edits that only keep the good changes? All I know about are the despecialized editions which are great, but I don't necessarily need 100% faithfulness to the extent of putting mistakes back in.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All these changes made the movies actively worse I thought with the exception of updating the force ghost to Young Anakin Skywalker which I thought was kind of a nice touch.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The least objectionable changes were cleaning up some effects. The wholesale additions and CGI shit was not needed. Even then I wouldn't give a shit if they released those "upgraded" versions so long as the unaltered versions were also made available. Doing shit the way Lucas did it sucks, especially when it came to fucking with other director's work. Yeah, chimp face Emperor looks goofy, but it adds to the charm of the series. People loved those movies, warts and all, Lucas shat on them.
Replacing the original Vader actor for Hayden Christianson was fucking stupid. Why did he de-age as a force ghost but Obi Wan and Yoda didn't? He really thought so little of his audience that they wouldn't realise it was Anakin at the end? I know they were made for kids but kids aren't THAT dumb.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
None. I hate the very concept of changing/updating any part of any movie for any reason, I don't care how much some aspects are improved. Give me all the jank.

It's great that so many others like it, but for the love of fuck, keep the original in circulation