• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I like re-watching my favorite E3 'gameplay' demos once in a while. It's actually my favorite part of E3. I love how devs play their own game and try their best to show off the best part of their games. So show me your favorites. I wanna watch them. But remember, it has to be 'gameplay' demo.

Here is mine:

And please, link them if you can.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's the Destiny demo by a mile.

The way random people dropped in to an event in a public free roam space was great, and I'd never seen that before.

Also even from watching the demo I could tell the shooting was going to be satisfying.

The variety of guns, the loot dropping at the end, the art-style - it was all so damn good.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Last of Us 1 demo was something special. The A.I both for Ellie and enemies was something we just dont see in a video game. the melee takedowns were violent but not cartoonish gory like they are in most games.

The Uncharted 2 demo was an amazing spectacle too. It was the first time where i could hear the crowd reaction during a demo and it going wild.

The Killzone 2 demo was absolutely wonderful simply because of how close they came to the original CGi trailer but i dont remember it watching live.

GoW reboot, Horizon and the last of us 2 demos were fantastic too. next gen as fuck.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I like re-watching my favorite E3 'gameplay' demos once in a while. It's actually my favorite part of E3. I love how devs play their own game and try their best to show off the best part of their games. So show me your favorites. I wanna watch them. But remember, it has to be 'gameplay' demo.

Here is mine:

So good.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog the thread

Uncharted 2 E3 2009, Uncharted 4 E3 2015, The Last of Us E3 2012, The Last of Us 2 E3 2018

Nod to God of War E3 2016 because of that fucking perfect orchestra and how well paced the demo was

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2, and TLOU 1

The visceral nature of TLOU combat was crazy to see at the time
giphy.gif
XW7NTjC.gif

giphy.gif

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Here is mine:

Really love TLoU's Part II gameplay, but here's my contribution to the thread:

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I remember the Watch Dogs reveal gameplay demo blowing my mind

Of course, the actual game was a huge letdown, but still, that demo was one of our first tastes of next-gen and boy it got me hyped

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Mine would probably be the demo for Astral Chain from this year's E3, actually. Specifically part 2 from Treehouse Live when the director (Takahisa Taura) took over and started fighting a couple of bosses in the game. I already wanted to play it because it's an original Platinum title, but the high level gameplay being showcased sold me even harder on the game because it just looks like so much fun to play. The video should be timestamped but in case that doesn't work, the gameplay in question starts around 24:20.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I in no way want to derail the glory that this thread will surely include, but as a recent E3 judge, I'd like to point out: those official "Best of E3" awards that Geoff Keighley manages are all based on games that participating judges go hands-on with. Any game that judges aren't allowed to put their hands on and play for a certain amount of time are automatically disqualified from contention. We're further encouraged by Geoff to be mindful of the difference between preview hype and how a game may very well turn out both when nominating and voting. That's been the case for at least three years of the official noms/awards.

Now back to the good stuff.

EDIT: Huh, you're all linking to apparently legitimate/good "live gameplay" demos. I didn't expect that. Carry on!

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Half-Life 2

The fidelity jump in physics and facial animation was crazy at the time. Even on the rendering end with there smart use of dx9 shading.

How many literal "wow"s where dropped by the press.

Still my favorite demo on the promise what dymamic reactivity can do for games. Some small examples like dynamically blocking a door with physics without the use of context sensitive prompts or states, still hasn't been done to this day.

(eventhough their pitch on "non-scripted AI" hasn't aged well, their art direction definitely did)

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn - everything about that demo blew me away. And the combat looked awesome (and it was)

FFVII remaster - I was highly skeptical of this game, but the demo from this E3 completely turned me around into being highly hyped

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Does Cyberpunk 2077 count? I know the demo from last year didn't get uploaded online until months later, but it was still shown at E3.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Not a single mention of the best one ever.

One of the most "Holy shit this is real!" moments for me in gaming.
"This is sci-fi!"
"Holy shit that's a mech!"
"We can double jump!?"
"This is a multiplayer map filled with NPCs?"
"My what will be ready in 30 seconds?"
"ARE WE WALLRUNNING!?"
"WE CAN RIDE THE MECHS!?"
"WE CAN RIDE RIDE THE MECHS!?"
tenor.gif