• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What are some your favourite mysteries in games? Compelling plots that peak your interest and keeps you pushing forward.

I myself am i sucker for murder mysteries, and one that stands by me these last few years was the serial killer in RDR2. For some reason that was the most compelling thing keeping me going in that game, even though in the end it's only like 1% of the story in the game.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
L0Fh81b.png

Nov 8, 2017
The whole game of Planescape Torment is a series of nested mysteries which unravel over the course of the game. The central mystery is about who you are and why you are immortal, and you quickly discover that "you" are many people who have lived many lives, and discovering what impact you've had on the world and the people around you in each of these lives is another fascinating thing for you to discover. After you find out how you became immortal, you are eventually left with the unanswered question of why it was that you wanted to be immortal in the first place. Most of the party members are their own little puzzle boxes for you to tease out as you travel with them, too, and are often intricately linked with the plot and your own past.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I like learning how the apocalypse happened, and games have been delivering pretty well on that front the last couple years.

my favorite one is Horizon: ZD. I love how everything unfolds and how we slowly learn the truth until at one point we get a huge info dump and the truth is laid bare.

special mentions to Days Gone and Death Stranding.

Secondly I just played Control, and I loved that game's story. It's not really an apocalypse but there is chaos and it's fun watching it unfold, and learning about the background of the FBC.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Who/what is the G-Man?

Answer: An embodiment and personification of game development. He watches what you do in the levels you play, and has planned most of it out in advance. He stops you right before the game ends to remind you that you can't extend deadlines any further and he warps you to whichever place or world or timeline that had been decided without your input. He represents a business-interested fellow like the investors that hold a stake in the video game's production and he wants you to complete the game in the way it was designed to be completed because the product has to be exactly the way that was negotiated.

Aug 27, 2018
Answer: An embodiment and personification of game development. He watches what you do in the levels you play, and has planned most of it out in advance. He stops you right before the game ends to remind you that you can't extend deadlines any further and he warps you to whichever place or world or timeline that had been decided without your input. He represents a business-interested fellow like the investors that hold a stake in the video game's production and he wants you to complete the game in the way it was designed to be completed because the product has to be exactly the way that was negotiated.
Yeah, but like...I would like a definitive answer from Valve and not fanfiction.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Legend of the Golden Witch, there's so much mystery around this one! Thinking alongside the game was one of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had in gaming

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Ace Attorney series, all of it (except the bad ones)
Also Danganronpa 2, all of it, lol

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I think I'm going to go with Outer Wilds. Unraveling everything that's happened in the Galaxy is really crazy.

Another pick would be the entire build up to the ladies of the wood's face off in Witcher 3. Shit was scary and haunting.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't know if we can considerate this a secret, but breeding a gold chocobo in ff7 without a guide was kinda absurd to achieve.

I just hope that square doesn't cut this thing from the remake.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, but like...I would like a definitive answer from Valve and not fanfiction.
That answer would probably end up not being made by Marc Laidlaw and it would be a fan theory in disguise. Marc has already suggested explanations for some of his writing choices for the franchise. He talked about how video games are "worldless", in the sense that nothing is canon unless the game assets can be there first, so a writer is often at the mercy of what is possible for the game development. I think that thought is the inspiration behind GMan and all the business discussions Marc observed surrounding the creation of the first game, as well as certain classic sci fi inspirations.

I think GMan can never have a satisfying in-world explanation.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Recently, the Ascians in in FFXIV.
They are the games long running, stringpulling bad guys. For the longest time their while deal has been kept quiet but id never really expected much from it thank to thier tendency for mustache twirling villainy.
That was until the most recent expansion quite unexpectedly went way in on everything about who they are, what they were, and why they are doing what they are doing, and it was all so much more compelling than anything i would have guessed.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Rat man is an amazing mystery that gave the og Portal world a lot of depth.
  2. Horizon: Zero Dawn... everything about Zero Dawn was just masterfully revealed, mindfuck after mindfuck.