• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's my ideal size for my needs?

• Less than 27"

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 27-28"

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • 32"

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Bigger than 32"

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm looking to game primarily in my office on a monitor that will do 2-3 things:

1) Hook up to my MacBook Pro for software development work across 2 screens. I don't think bigger than 32" is going to work for this.

2) Hook up to my PS5 for immersive, cinematic single player games. Not much of a competitive FPS guy these days. I don't think smaller than 27" is going to work for this.

3) Potentially hook up to my MacBook, PS5 & spare Apple TV at the same time. Honestly not sure if I'll use this use case a lot, but it does basically require a 32" screen at least.

I imagine the case is MBP screen + left half of monitor have some work stuff, top right box has a show going and bottom right box has some PS5 going. Like this set up:

w2uq8k9s09gqywz18kz3.jpg

What's your thoughts?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
32 inches but only if you get 4k, I made the mistake of getting a 32 inch 1440p monitor and it was terrible for work. Otherwise 27 inches.

Ultrawide can be a good option too but only if you were more into work then gaming or if you were a pc gamer. Doesn't work great with consoles. I'd stick with a 16x9 in your case.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond 27" gets unmanageable for me, because I need two displays for work. I could consider a single ultrawide that's bigger but then I feel window management is more of a pain in the ass, and it would definitely be less useful for console purposes. Getting nice articulating arms has been a gamechanger for me in that regard though. If I'm doing focused single display stuff(gaming or videos) I'll bring that monitor front and center, and when I'm working I have the two a bit further back side by side so I can work on both.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently switched to a 32 monitor for the same reason and, while its awesome for gaming with the ps5, I still find a little bit unconfortable to do productivity work on it.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
After buying an ultra wide monitor for my COVID jail (home office), I think there's no going back in terms of productivity. I also have a magnet, and using Magnet shortcuts with this much real estate is just incredible.

For what it's worth, it remains equivalent to a 27" 1440p monitor when fed a 16:9 source (like consoles). If the black bars at either side bother you then this solution won't work, but I can't stress how great these things are for productivity.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I recently switched to a 32 monitor for the same reason and, while its awesome for gaming with the ps5, I still find a little bit unconfortable to do productivity work on it.

Striking the balance does seem difficult...

32 inches but only if you get 4k, I made the mistake of getting a 32 inch 1440p monitor and it was terrible for work. Otherwise 27 inches.

I'm 100% going 4K.

UW. 32 inch or more.

I'm not sure that's ideal for PS5 though

Oct 27, 2017
Those use cases are pretty much exactly the same as mine, and I've decided on getting a 32" monitor next year. I would get the 32" 1440p 240Hz Samsung G7, but I don't like such a severe curve, the lack of HDMI 2.1 (for the PS5), and the VRR not working well under about 80Hz. If next year Samsung (or someone else) can fix these problems with a new model using a similar panel, I'd be all over it. Better HDR support would be the icing on the cake, but I suspect we're a few years out at least from worthwhile HDR implementations in mid-range PC monitors.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
If I absolutely had to go single display for console and PC gaming as well as productivity I think I'd be pretty tempted to get the smallest LG CX. Really, I just wish someone made something a bit smaller with those same specs.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
For productivity, for me multi monitor works best than one big monitor, unless we are talking about those gigantic 29" ultrawide. I have 3x 24" 1080p and works very well (for my needs).

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I almost bought the Samsung Odyssey G7 as its on sale, but something tells me I should wait to see if anything releases in the spring.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If I absolutely had to go single display for console and PC gaming as well as productivity I think I'd be pretty tempted to get the smallest LG CX. Really, I just wish someone made something a bit smaller with those same specs.
I am stalking the 48" LG CX daily, trying to decide if it'd really be the perfect monitor for work/play.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I have a 35" BenQ ex3501r for working from home and a dual monitor setup at the office. I actually prefer the single ultra wide for productivity over the dual monitors. Using the keyboard shortcuts that scale apps to exactly half the screen is like having two monitors without all the neck movement. And the 3440 x 1440 resolution is really crisp clear text that's easy on the eyes.

That said some people greatly prefer two displays over an ultra wide. I'd try out both a single 35" + with high resolution or dual 27" 1440p monitors.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a 27-inch screen. It's nice, but honestly, it's kinda big. I think I prefer 24-inch screens but they barely make screens in that size anymore. Anything over 27-inch sounds absolutely obscene. Those are television sizes from a couple of years ago.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
27 is a good compromise for price/perf, but bigger would be ideal, especially if you're hooking up a PS5 and want to go 4K. I'd go 32. You could also consider a wall mounted CX48 if you have the space. If you can put 3-4 feet between yourself and the CX48, it will easily be the best display you can get.

Not sure about your PIP needs though. Does any monitor even support that? I would go dual 27/4K monitors if you really want split screen. Save yourself some money and just go for 60Hz monitors. 4K/120 is a tremendously bad value for PC monitors.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
But the burn in is not a problem in OLEDs specially using as a PC monitor?

Cmc

Nov 1, 2017
27 is a good compromise for price/perf, but bigger would be ideal, especially if you're hooking up a PS5 and want to go 4K. I'd go 32. You could also consider a wall mounted CX48 if you have the space.

Not sure about your PIP needs though. Does any monitor even support that?
The one I just linked as PiP with 2 HDMI sources, can watch football while working, for example

parski

Nov 13, 2017
I work on a 55 inch TV that I also game on. On my MBP I could only get 1440p at 60Hz with the Apple dongle (as well as a third party one) but yesterday I got a Mac Mini that can output 4K 60Hz from the HDMI port. When I game I play at 1440p 120Hz. I just got the one Rtings had as number 1 for PC usage at the time.

www.rtings.com

Samsung Q80/Q80R QLED Review (QN55Q80RAFXZA, QN65Q80RAFXZA, QN75Q80RAFXZA, QN82Q80RAFXZA)

The Samsung Q80R is an excellent 4k LED TV with impressive picture quality. It delivers deep blacks thanks to the high native contrast ratio, excellent black uni...

Oh and it supports FreeSync too! I would have gotten an OLED if it wasn't for image retention with all the static crap I have on screen all day long when coding.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
27 is a good compromise for price/perf, but bigger would be ideal, especially if you're hooking up a PS5 and want to go 4K. I'd go 32. You could also consider a wall mounted CX48 if you have the space. If you can put 3-4 feet between yourself and the CX48, it will easily be the best display you can get.

Not sure about your PIP needs though. Does any monitor even support that? I would go dual 27/4K monitors if you really want split screen. Save yourself some money and just go for 60Hz monitors. 4K/120 is a tremendously bad value for PC monitors.

not interested in the best display quality, i need the best display quality that meets my other needs. wall mounted 48" doesn't sound like a good fit for visual studio, dbeaver, etc

and my budget is fairly high so i'm all in on a 4k/hdmi 2.1/120hz monitor

The one I just linked as PiP with 2 HDMI sources, can watch football while working, for example

we are WFH 50% forever once covid ends so the idea of having ahome office where i can throw on reruns of cozy shows while catching up on emails sounds great lol

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
A few months ago I bought a 4K 27inch monitor to use with ps4/ps5 and with laptop for productivity. (LG 27UL650)
And honestly, for productivity it is still a bit too large imo. Ideal setup for work would be 2x 24 inch monitors I think

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A few months ago I bought a 4K 27inch monitor to use with ps4/ps5 and with laptop for productivity. (LG 27UL650)
And honestly, for productivity it is still a bit too large imo. Ideal setup for work would be 2x 24 inch monitors I think

i use 2x 27 at work and love it but who knows when im back at the office again