• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Story Of Red Cloud, a Terraria story mod which is easily the size and scope of a full game. It's amazing.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
DayZ. The feeling of starting on that damned beach. Finding a fixing a helicopter with friends. Getting murdered by next people you helped. Killing bandits. Riding a bicycle. I bought the early release of their DayZ game just to reward them - and don't think I really put any time into it despite however many hundreds of hours I put into the mod.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah I'd say Day-Z by a wide margin. It had a massive impact on the industry and inspired some of the largest games out there right now and a major genre in BRs and large influence on survival games too.

Modded game of the decade though goes to Mount and Blade Warband. The amount of massive full on conversions and campaigns for that is just crazy.

Prophecy of Pendor, Brytenwalda, Gekokujo, Anno Domini 1257, Perisno, two massive GoT projects and so many more. Plus three pretty crazy huge official spin offs with Viking Conquest, With Fire and Sword and Napoleonic Wars.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Enderal is a masterpiece.
That's the one for me...
I loved Black Mesa but this had a preexisting base it adapted to a new engine... so, Enderal.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd say Day-Z by a wide margin. It had a massive impact on the industry and inspired some of the largest games out there right now and a major genre in BRs and large influence on survival games too.

Modded game of the decade though goes to Mount and Blade Warband. The amount of massive full on conversions and campaigns for that is just crazy.

Prophecy of Pendor, Brytenwalda, Gekokujo, Anno Domini 1257, Perisno, two massive GoT projects and so many more. Plus three pretty crazy huge official spin offs with Viking Conquest, With Fire and Sword and Napoleonic Wars.

I somehow missed out on all the Warband mods.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I somehow missed out on all the Warband mods.
They're so good. Brytenwalda is crazy good, so good they went on to develop the paid expansion Viking Conquest.

Bannerlord is coming out as early access in the spring though and the Beta multiplay is pretty damn fun. And they've put together like real serious modding tools for it, so the mods for that game are likely to be just too crazy.

Oct 25, 2017

At a time where competitive Smash consisted of either putting up with Brawl's bullshit or going back to Melee, Project M really seemed like a gamechanger. This was before Smash 4 and Ultimate, so getting back Mewtwo and Roy was huge, it had a bunch of competition-friendly stages, all of the characters had new moves and new animations, etc.

RIP Project M. Gone too soon.

Yup.

Because PM was already covered, I'd say Unleashed Project is my runner up. A lot of care went into transforming Generations into an almost entirely different game, its crazy.

Followed by Maldo HD 4.0. Made Crysis 2 extra fun and very performant to play through. 4k gameplay video.

crysis2_2013-02-10_12-26-07-45.jpg

M003.jpg

M004.jpg

Last edited:

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure DayZ spawned the BR genre as well as causing the survival genre craze.
While it preceded DayZ mod, I do not feel it was more influential than DayZ in triggering the BR genre. DayZ is what got developers to notice there was an untapped market.
The DayZ mod was definitely more directly relevant to the development (and gameplay mechanics) of later games, but I think you're underestimating how much impact Minecraft had on YouTube and the subsequent streamer culture that developed out of it, which led to Battle Royale games becoming popular.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Forgotten Hope 2. Seriously one of the most under appreciated mods out there. The attention to detail and historical accuracy of WW2 is incredible.

If these guys made FH3 on Unreal Engine, I would back them right away.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Binding of Isaac: Antibirth is an amazing mod for Binding of Isaac Rebirth:

Hundreds of new items, entire new levels progression, dozens new bosses and enemies and the greatest OST for Isaac game since Danny Baranowsky:

The timing of this mod release even made the official expansion Afterbirth+ look bad in comparison because how much less content it had, despite AB+ being paid expansion and Antibirth being free fanmade mod.

Eventually developer of the mod was hired and is now doing Repentance expansion which is supposed to merge Antibirth content into officlal branch.

Oct 25, 2017
Black Mesa for Half life 2
Project Reality for Battlefield 2
Divide et Impera for Rome 2 Total War
DarthMod for Empire Total War
Also, even though it's not a 2010s mod, shoutout to the Sven Co-op mod team who released major updates on the 2010s and entered their 3rd decade of mod development earlier this year.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While everybody's getting back into The Witcher 3, The Witcher 3 - Enhanced Edition

Basically a compilation of mods that make the game a lot better.

Edit: Also, a friend recently asked if ESO would satisfy his itch for something Skyrim-like. I said no, and pointed him toward Enderal. Enderal is amazing, and everybody needs to play it. It's the best Elder Scrolls game.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Final Fantasy X in its purest form. Even James Arnold Taylor loves it.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Day Z for sure.

Brought about the rise of survival shooters and, ultimately, battle royale.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
All those mods that fix Bethesda's awful UI design.

Can't forget Durante's DSFix for Dark Souls. I wouldn't have jumped into the series without that.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I dunno if it counts as a "mod" but LTTP and Super Metroid randomizers are my lifeblood. I love them. I can't stop watching them and I cannot stop playing them.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
OpenMW for Morrowind, hands down.

This is going to give us the next generation of Morrowind mod scene. Comes with tons of features not possible with modding before and has things like native controller support and the option to use something other than integrated graphics cards on laptops and other scenarios. Mods have no limits as well.

Seriously, OpenMW is making Morrowind more relevant than ever before.

Last edited:

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
strapping a rubberband over the Y button on the procon makes aiming in Splatoon a bit easier

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Does ElDorito count? The Halo 3 PC mod project. If it weren't for the massive success and viral nature of that project I'm not sure we get an MCC for PC. To a lesser extent, I'm sure it helped reaffirm to MS that putting their 1st party titles on PC was justified.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
DSfix
And whatever the mod that lets me run in Fallout New Vegas is called

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

At a time where competitive Smash consisted of either putting up with Brawl's bullshit or going back to Melee, Project M really seemed like a gamechanger. This was before Smash 4 and Ultimate, so getting back Mewtwo and Roy was huge, it had a bunch of competition-friendly stages, all of the characters had new moves and new animations, etc.

RIP Project M. Gone too soon.

Just FYI, there's a different crew now but people are still updating it. https://projectplusgame.com/download/ No new characters or anything super flashy, but it fixes some bugs.

Definitely don't post it to /r/games or something like that though. Doesn't need and shouldn't get mainstream attention.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
There are far too many to mention. Plus lots of good choices already mentioned.

Sith lords restored content mod

An excellent mod that adds tons of content back to the game, fixes some QoL issues and many little bugs and issues have been fixed. Kotor II possibly as it should have been.

Then there are programs like cheat engine, which is used for so much more than just cheats.

Or the mods that fix so many issues with games, like the aforementioned fan patches for Bethesda games, vampire the masquerade. Or durantes work on his down sampling designed to fix Dark Souls, but became so much more (until Nvidia and AMD caught up).

There is the absolutely insane playground that Just Cause 2 became with the multiplayer mods and infinite tethering. Something all the sequels struggled to match.

Then there are all the silly mods, like Mr X in a thong, Thomas the Tank Engine in Skyrim, the incredible hulk in GTA IV and so on.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
DayZ, it did a lot of noise, changed a lot of things and overall had a huge impact on the industry

Nov 1, 2017
The ROM Hacking scene has also been fantastic lately. It's really interesting to go back to some Retro games with simple Quality of Life improvements, bug fixes, or sometimes complete overhauls. With Flash Cartridges and FPGA systems becoming more readily available, I see them becoming more popular. Off the top of my head, I'm really excited to play Metroid II DX and Super Mario Land II DX. I'm also very intrigued by Conker's High Rule Tail, a conversion of A Link to the Past. And as mentioned above, Randomnizers (such as Super Metroid) are fun to play with too.

Wotkar

Oct 27, 2017
probably long war xcom for me personally. but dayz mod seems to be what developers copy/paste these days.