• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Okay Resetera, time to settle this once and for all. What's the best Mega Man game, ever?

Here's a poll with every Mega Man game on it (as far as I know), except for compilations: https://strawpoll.com/zfks9ddb5

Now is your chance to have your voice heard. I think myself that I'm going with the first X game. It is pretty much the only Mega Man game that does not have some glaring flaw somewhere. There is really not a single bad level or boss fight or annoying mechanic in the game, both visuals and sound are superb and a huge step up from prior games, gameplay was also massively expanded with more RPG elements, and the addition of the dash and wall kick made the game deeper and more fun while raising the skill ceiling considerably. This is pretty much the last time Mega Man felt "inspired" to me, so it gets my vote.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll see a lot of MM2 choices here but I think MM3 pips it to the post for me. I'm just a sucker for the slide mechanic.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zero 3 is quite possibly the best action platformer of all time.

The OG X isn't even the best Mega Man X game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Battle Network 4.

tenor.gif

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Classic: 3
X: X4
Battle Network: 3
Legends: 2
Zero: 3

For me personally? Battle Network 3 was just so much fun and was packed with so much content it's the easy winner for me, followed by Legends 2

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a weird one since not only do I consider X3 to be the best, but I even prefer the PS1 version of that game

also, MM3 is the best classic MM

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
My heart says MM2, my mind says X.

There's better games than MM2 , even in the classic series (MM9 for sure), but I just can't let go of that nostalgia I have for MM2. I'd much rather play through it again and again than just about any other game in the series.

I'm not even that much of a fan of X, but it's such a well-designed game without any major flaws that I can't help but admit it's probably the best one.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
2D Mega Man: X1
3D Mega Man: Legends 2
JRPG Mega Man: Battle Network 3

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My answer would be a toss up between 2, X and X4, but I voted for the latter because it only got one other vote.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm always torn between Megaman X, Megaman 3 (NES) and Megaman V (GB) on these polls, so I voted for the latter as no one else will!

Generally I prefer Megaman 2's soundtrack, but MM3's weapon set makes for a much more balanced game than the Metal Blade.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I wish I could vote twice, once for MM9 and once for Zero 3, as they're both great but with different appeals. But to choose just one, I had to go with 9.

MM2 is overrated

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My heart says MM2, my mind says X.

There's better games than MM2 , even in the classic series (MM9 for sure), but I just can't let go of that nostalgia I have for MM2. I'd much rather play through it again and again than just about any other game in the series.

I'm not even that much of a fan of X, but it's such a well-designed game without any major flaws that I can't help but admit it's probably the best one.

Same. MM2 and MM9 stood out to me as the best ones. Although MM9 is not really old.
X is the only one I really love from the 16-bit entries but I don't like comparing it with 8 bit MM because it is so different.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Lmao you really put every fkn Mega Man game in existence on here. Gotta make sure Mega Man DOS is on the poll just in case someone wants to vote for that.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I honestly think X might be the best. Definitely not the first one I have played but I loved everything about it. Great graphics, music and interesting variations on the gameplay. Very replayable as well.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. When I unlocked that in Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GameCube, I played it nonstop. That game was fun as hell. I actually unlocked it before Mega Man: The Power Battle, so I was very underwhelmed by how plain the gameplay was compared to its sequel. Went right back to playing Power Fighters!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strangely I was never really the biggest fan of MM3. It has some serious performance issues and I don't think the level design is as strong as MM2.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Now I'm not going to say MMX is overrated, as it's a fine game, but I always thought it was weird that it got all the attention when X2 is basically just as good if not better.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man 9 is easily my favorite. It perfected the MM2/3 formula.

I don't care for Mega Man X as much, hard to say why.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see MM11 up there. When it comes to gameplay I'm fairly certain Mega Man 11 is the most accomplished platformer of the entire franchise. Level design is top tier, always encouraging you to use multiple special weapons in every run.

And having Rush on a dedicated button and all your weapons set to a wheel on the right stick is frankly game changing for Mega Man.

Really enjoyed the gear system as well.

I'm saddened it's been over two years and still no news of MM12 or the rumored X sequel. I guess this IP is back on ice.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man 9 and it's not particularly close, at least when it comes to the classic series and X. It's a top 10 game of all time for me, and I say that as a die-hard classic Mega Man fan. Though the posts in here mentioning Zero 3 have me regretting I finished Zero 1 and 2 in the collection last year but got busy with other things

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm not going to say MMX is overrated, as it's a fine game, but I always thought it was weird that it got all the attention when X2 is basically just as good if not better.
The first half of the X series is very good, but something about the simplicity of the first game
brings me back time and time again. It's not as challenging as others in the series. The levels aren't as intricate. It's less visually interesting. Still, it's my favorite. It's the easiest to pick up and play.

But that's X-games only. My favorite of the MegaMan franchise? Maybe Zero 2 or 3. I find movement most enjoyable in those games. Bosses most exciting. There is a little too much going on with the collectible sprites or whatever. But I mostly ignore that.

The core MegaMan series is also great, and is the most consistently good. But that consistency makes many of the games feel samey to me. I enjoy them quite a bit. Just can't pick one game that I get more out of than the others. Maybe I'd be able to pick my favorite levels, music, or bosses. But those are spread across games.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
MM2 is the only game in the series that I really loved as a kid and come back to every few years. I do have a lot of gaps with the series though.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Oh, that's a tough one. I can easily tell you all my favourites from each subseries, but all lumped up together, picking a fave is a much taller order. They scratch different itches, and have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'll go with my gut then, and pick Mega Man 9. It's far from the most complex one in the series, but if you boil the series down to the essentials, Mega Man 9 is probably the best thing you can make out of it. Classic look and feel. Dope music. Getting rid of the charge and slide was probably contentious, but I think the game is better for it. The stages themselves are fun too, and they reward the use of the RM items. It even had Splash Woman, the only female-coded Robot Master. It's easily my favourite entry in the original series, and that should count for something.

My heart still belongs to the Battle Network and Legends games though.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
My only real criticism with X1 is that you can't beat the game without getting at least 2 mandatory upgrades. That's one of the major improvements in the sequels where they let you do everything as unarmored X (except X6 possibly due to the obnoxious level design), whereas I otherwise find the sequels to be largely meandering and eventually regressive in terms of level design.

First you have the mandatory leg upgrade from Chill Penguin which I always felt was not handled all that elegantly. I think relegating the dash to a mandatory upgrade was a decision they made later in development because they felt that starting out with so many new moves would have felt too overwhelming for new players. But then on the other hand new players aren't going to know that Chill Penguin is where you're "supposed" to go first, so if you try the other stages first you're gonna have a real bad time.
Second is the buster upgrade which you automatically get from Zero if you didn't find the capsule yourself earlier. And IIRC the Sigma phase 2 fight was balanced so you can only damage him with a fully upgraded buster charge or Armadillo's weapon. I could really have done without that.

I basically see the hidden upgrades throughout the stages as an organic way to let the player regulate the difficulty without resorting to different modes in the options, so if they had balanced the game around letting you ignore all of them as hard mode I would basically have considered it a perfect game.