• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
It's amazing how DMC 5 looks better than a lot of other AAA games that are 30 FPS and are saddled with gross motion blur to compensate

It's a repeat of how DMC 4 came out in 2008 and ran at 60 too and also looked better than a lot of the muddy, unreal 3 engines messes that released after it.
Maybe if all there was at the screen was the main set of characters' face models.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't even notice the framerate switch between fighting and cutscenes. That's why I completely forget the games (Injustice 2 as well) aren't running in 60fps on console at all times.

It's always been super jarring and noticeable to me, which is why I'm gonna be super bummed if there's not a patch to allow full 60 fps everywhere on new consoles. If you watch YouTube videos of people running it on PC the difference is huge.

Hoping there will be a new DLC content drop along with this by the end of the year, especially with the precedent on PC.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Do games count that only run 60fps on the enhanced consoles? If that is the case than that's the Shadow of the Colossus remake for me. Gorgeous open world environments, the gigantic colossi and that all runs at a stable 60fps on PS4 Pro.

SpeedySelfishAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

MassiveDimpledAlleycat-size_restricted.gif

FirmForthrightDore-size_restricted.gif

(Sorry, didn't quickly find higher quality gifs.)
Not the most impressive 60FPS game, but it still looks very good.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Shout out to Mario Odyssey, a beautiful, vibrant 60fps game with some stunning environments.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
These clips are 30 fps on consoles. They look nice but that's because they're dropped to 30 to be able to show more detail. Sorry, but let's not give them credit where it's not due.

Until MK11 runs at 60 fps in the Krypt, fight cinematics, and UI it is disqualified from consideration under this thread's criteria.

I do hope there's a XSX/PS5 patch for full 60fps everywhere, as I might give it the nod at that point.

Until then I'd probably say Gears 5 or maybe Battlefront 2. DMCV gets a big nope here because of it's use of ugly forced chromatic aberration with no toggle.

I just picked that gif because it looked fun, I think MK11 looks great DURING combat. I don't see how it's disqualified.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I've been playing a lot of Battlefront 2 lately and it still impresses me every time I play it. I really want to see what a third game would look like on next gen.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked that gif because it looked fun, I think MK11 looks great DURING combat. I don't see how it's disqualified.

This thread is about console games where the developer has made the choice to run at 60fps and recognizing the visual achievement despite the inherent tradeoffs. Having to limit "graphics" for framerate is always the complaint about going with 60fps and this is giving props where the games graphics still shine despite that.

For MK11 they specifically chose to lower the frame rate to 30fps for intros/outros/in-match cinematics to show more detail and they are heavily interspersed in matches. That's exactly counter to the spirit of the thread. It may sound nitpicky, but it's a fair point of exclusion given the premise.

I'm not arguing against the game being visually impressive though. It's just not a full 60fps game so they don't get credit in that case :p

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Gran Turismo Sport, easily. It competes with 30fps games while being 60.

Games like DMC get disqualified cause they can barely hold 60 frames. The framerate is all over the place. Same with RE2.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
There's something so funny about when these types of threads crop up where there's clearly no consensus yet people chime in with x game "by a mile," "no contest," "easily," "and nothing comes close". That being said, of what I've played, I'd say Modern Warfare or Forza Horizon 4.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Havent played very many. I have a reular ps4 so theres alot of games that i dont get the option for.

Of what ive played; For tecnichal it would be doom 2016 i guess. That and gt sport as runner up.

For artistic impression, its the anime abomination gg xrd. That game looks so fuckin cool.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest is by far the best looking 60 fps console game. Will of the Wisp looks better but the framerate is too inconsistent.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm going to cheat and say Transistor.

However since we only care about big budget games here, I say it's a toss up between RE2/3 and Doom Eternal. DMC5's environments were too lacking for me to consider it despite the character models and effects being crazy good.

Edit: I forgot SotC remake was 60 FPS. It's 100% that than.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I played Gears 5 on PC, not Xbox, but if it's running even half as smoothly as it did on my rig on console then it's a shoe-in. Modern Warfare and DMC5 are also contenders.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Character models I think are quite a decent step above Gears, but I agree environments are less impressive, particularly because their is less variety. I would probably give effectives to DMCV as well, I think it is closer than initially apparent

Gears 5 is not even 60 fps on base hardware. DMC5 is actually one of the few 60 fps games being mentioned here that's actually fucking 60 fps outside of a few drops to the mid 50s on the weakest platform (base xbox one).

1561658891_file_4.gif

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
This thread is about console games where the developer has made the choice to run at 60fps and recognizing the visual achievement despite the inherent tradeoffs. Having to limit "graphics" for framerate is always the complaint about going with 60fps and this is giving props where the games graphics still shine despite that.

For MK11 they specifically chose to lower the frame rate to 30fps for intros/outros/in-match cinematics to show more detail and they are heavily interspersed in matches. That's exactly counter to the spirit of the thread. It may sound nitpicky, but it's a fair point of exclusion given the premise.

I'm not arguing against the game being visually impressive though. It's just not a full 60fps game so they don't get credit in that case :p
Where in the thread is that mentioned? Because the thread starter even mentioned Netherrealm games as examples.

And considering it looks like (better than) this while running 60 frames...

Sh6mskE.jpg

Is Gears 5 disqualified too because is not 60 during the campaign on consoles?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Where in the thread is that mentioned? Because the thread starter even mentioned Netherrealm games as examples.

Sh6mskE.jpg

MK11 is running on a heavily modified UE3 fork, not UE4, which I find even more impressive since I've been told UE4 is far easier to work with on new hardware. That it runs at all on Switch is pretty impressive, even if that port of the game is absolute crap.

Gears 5 only runs at 60FPS on Xbox One X, but IIRC it's doing so at 1440p, maybe more. The base XB1 runs at 1080p 30FPS, which is really impressive given how good the game still looks and runs on such underpowered hardware.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Sh6mskE.jpg

I don't see why people can't mention MK11 because the gameplay is 60FPS, but I think people should stop posting examples from the game of cutscenes that look better and only run at 30. I'd rather see examples of it when it runs at 60.

Gears 5 for the most part runs at 60 during the campaign on Xbox One X. "Minor dips, but overall very steady" - Digital Foundry on Gears 5.

May 15, 2019
DMC5 looks great in combat and absolutely fantastic during cutscenes. IDK if it maintains 60fps in cutscenes on console, but I was able to max out the game while maintaining full FPS the whole game on my PC.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac age on XB1X is 60fps @ 1080p

Art direction is pretty great good

Phantasy star online 2 on XB1X and base console is 60fps although the frame rate tanks every now and then

Yes I am easy to please

Last edited: