• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best JRPG on Switch

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• Octopath Traveler

• Fire Emblem Three Houses

• Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Agr

• Valkyrie Chronicles 4

• Pokémon Sword/Shield

• Othet

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The Switch has become a home for JRPGs, and it has a great many good to amazing ones available on it-so choosing which six to represent on the poll was actually really really difficult.
I think I've got the most notable ones on there, but if there are others you like more, please by all means share. It's great to get more recommendations for the genre.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Easily Dragon Quest XI S. One of the best JRPGs I've ever played. The Switch additions (faster battles, orchestrated music) are great.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Fire Emblem, but I really enjoy all those games a lot except Pokemon. Some of my favorite games from the past 3 years.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I love how different every option is. I love them all for different reasons.

I'd say that Dragon Ball Builders 2 and FFXII: The Zodiac Age are also great choices.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI and VC 4 are the only ones of those I didnt have major complaints with and DQ is the better of the two

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tie between Octopath and Xenoblade 2 but vote goes to Octopath for being the game I still occasionally think about.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Voted other because Final Fantasy IX exists on switch and it's better than anything listed.
I'd say that Dragon Ball Builders 2 and FFXII: The Zodiac Age are also great choices.
The Last Remnant is highly underrated and I implore adventurous sorts to give it a fair shake
I did want to keep the poll restricted to current gen games only, but yeah, especially once ports of older fare are counted, the library of JRPGs on the thing becomes ridiculous.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's Xeno 2 to me from that list then Fire Emblem as a close second, Octopath and DQXI and Pokemon are great too.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for XBC2 but DQ11 and Digimon cyber sleuth are also very good.

Too sad Vanilla's games are not on switch.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I woulda said Fire emblem but the monastery gets dry as hell quick.

I finished 2 routes and the thought of playing through that again put me off (I know you can skip it though in fairness)

Tough to say between DQ11 and XC2 but probably the latter for the OST and locales

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Got to go with Three Houses. I haven't played Dragon Quest XI, though.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the best game in the list.

It may very well be the best game on Switch period to be honest.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I'd say that Dragon Ball Builders 2

I lol'd
kame-house-lego.jpg

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
DQXI is the best by far. IMO, XBC2 should be disqualified for its awful handheld performance. Still the only Switch game I have quit over performance issues.

ForestL

Feb 12, 2018
Soon to be Trails of Cold Steel 3. It's really good you just have to play ~100-300 hours of other really good JRPGs first.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was torn between my head saying DQXIS and my heart saying Xenoblade 2. Went with my heart.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is Dragon Quest XI S the best JRPG on the Switch, it's also the best JRPG of the Generation IMO.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It'll release in a few months from now: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. :D

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is the best GAME on Switch (not considering old stuff like FF9).
It probably will not even be topped.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
easily Fire Emblem.

DQXIS's act III makes it a sour game at its last 1/4 or so. FE just keeps getting better.

XC2 is a tough cookie

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Many good choices, but I have to go with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's an incredibly good game.

Though I'm tempted to vote for Valkyrie Chronicles 4 just to give it some votes.