• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I don't know why but Shadowrun Dragonfall. is one of my favourites. I like that you were not a newbie Shadowrunner, you were the pretty much Monica's favourite due to history. The events led you to believe easy tutorial stage but turns into an escape and a failed mission. The writing and mood definitely help. Not much distractions along the way.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
"Good morning and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System. This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel."

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Doom 2016

feel like I need load it up just to shoot one thing with the shotgun right now

Damn you I came just to post this.

Absolutely the best though. So short and perfectly to the point in every way. You could write a 1000 page essay about how well it works.

God of War 3. Most epic shit ever. And I had just played 2 right before it, so that was awesome.

God of War 3's opening is insane.

One of my personal favorites though:

Last edited:

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild is lowkey good. Waking up from a 100 year sleep in showing you a panorama of Hyrule. It's like saying that you are in for a fucking adventure.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 2's stands out to me. It's visually stunning with the ship breaking apart, and also an emotional moment story-wise as you watch Shepard die.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Kain is deified.

Immediately gets you invested in the world and makes you care for the character's motivation. At the time I was really into Spawn, so this intro really got me hyped because of the similar arc.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I really love the intro to the first Mass Effect. It makes you feel like you're Shepard. Plus that music? Chills every single time.

It's still so good, I get the chills too. Definitely my vote, with the way it transitions into introducing you to the crew, while using their interactions to perfectly establishing Shepard as an extremely respected soldier, right before dropping you into the first mission.

The first hour or so of ME1 was really masterful.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Definitely The Last of Us.

As a father myself that intro hit very close to home and had me paying attention from the very beginning.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
BM1_intro.jpg

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Planescape Torment, you befriend a wise ass floating skull and the way you remember things is to carve it on your skin.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
No Xenoblade Chronicles? Shame.

I think it's first chapter or whatever is the most motivational start of a game I've ever played. I don't wanna explain why, but anyone whos played probably understands why I like it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU was the first thing that came to mind, but damn there are some good picks in here.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day this was the coolest thing ever:

Story is super basic but back then you usually had to read the manual to get the story if there even was one.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us was the first thing I thought of. BioShock and Metal Gear Solid 3 are both up there, too.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 1. The opening voicework with Keith David is A+, and it introduces Shepard and your pre-selected backstory pretty eloquently. From the very first dialogue choice with Joker and Kaidan, you immediately feel like commander. And, of course, Eden Prime was a fantastic opening mission. "A small strike team can move quickly without drawing attention." That line from Nihlus always stuck with me, given that it's the reason why Shepard always kept to a three men squad in every mission from Eden Prime all the way up to Priority: Earth in Mass Effect 3.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Perfectly sums up the dire setting and tone of the rest of the game

This game was a work of art.

I'll never get the massive love for TLoU on this forum. Nothing in that game particularly resonated with me enough to call it great, although the intro was a good setup for the story, which I can agree with even if it's not my top pick. There must be something in there if it's such a popular answer, though.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last of us just sets the tone perfectly. Very grim.

Also I liked God of War recently. It was a huge breath of fresh air as you are usually starting off with a huge boss fight. The music was in point.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The last of us - powerful kick in for a awesome story
God of war - to all emotion with the kid to the first boss, fuck it was awesome
Breath of The wild - i wake up in a destroyed hryule? What could be more sign of adventure?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultima Underworld is also a favorite of mine. You're the savior of the universe and just got back to your world, ready to kick back, drink a bear and maybe watch some football when BAM youre yanked back in. You're teleported into a princess' bed Chambers in your underwear, then she gets hijacked with you left holding the bag. You then get drug in front of the king who laughs in your face when you tell him who you are, then he tosses your ass into The Abyss butt ass naked. Good luck motherfucker!