• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
Looking for a headset for PS5 & PC. Pretty curious about the Arctis Wireless Pro vs Audeze Mobius vs Audeze Penrose.... I know the Penrose hasn't been released yet, but just wondering if anyone has any input on what is looking to be the best one!

I don't really understand the whole Tempest Audio thing that Sony is doing in terms of compatability...do we need specific headsets for this to work? Or is this something that would work in most/any headset?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Don't you want to wait and see if the mic of the controller is good enough? It's a mic array so could be good. I used the mic of the PS4 camera and my friends never complained about my sound. Should be similar technology in the controller.

Your friends are too kind.

The PS4 camera mic quality is very average but it also picks up everything in the room, from the rustling of a bag of chips to the clicking of buttons on a controller. You can always tell when someone is using one, or a similar device and it's unpleasant.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Good choice, I had a pair of beyerdynamic headphones and the build quality was amazing for the price. Sound quality will be better than dedicated gaming headsets at the same price.

One thing to look at though is they are 250 ohms most gaming headphones are around 30 - 50 ohms. I suspect you will need to use an amplifier with these.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
I've been using the PC38X for the last few days and am extremely impressed so far. They're ridiculously comfortable and sound fantastic even next to some of my more expensive headphones. They're extremely low impedance so even the Dualshock 4 can drive them so well that running them on max volume is far too loud for me.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread is here. I still need to order a headset for my PS5 and idk what to get.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a headset for PS5 & PC. Pretty curious about the Arctis Wireless Pro vs Audeze Mobius vs Audeze Penrose.... I know the Penrose hasn't been released yet, but just wondering if anyone has any input on what is looking to be the best one!

I don't really understand the whole Tempest Audio thing that Sony is doing in terms of compatability...do we need specific headsets for this to work? Or is this something that would work in most/any headset?

Tempest 3D audio is built around any stereo headphones, no special sets needed.

I did a good amount of research on the Audeze Penrose and ended up ordering them. They seem legit. I work with audio and they're probably gonna become my new editing set since I really want planar magnetic headphones and this price point is excellent.

They released mic samples recently (revealing that they partnered with Shure). I'm not familiar with how headset mics in this price range usually sound, but it seemed... idk, basically acceptable?

I mean, not good certainly — too boomy, volatile plosives (which they specifically said they improved from the Mobius but it's clearly still a problem), and an occasional faint metal ring as if the adjustable mic arm were vibrating from the sound waves. Still, it was serviceable. If you put some additional windscreen/pop filter on it'd be much better.

The sound quality though should be pretty stellar. I'm excited to hear!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Never used optical before, but if you connect an optical headset like the steelseries pro to a tv, would the mic still work when playing ps4 for example?
Optical alone would not let the mic work. I'm not sure what the solution is for headsets that use optical, but they'd need another connection to the console.
The Penrose mic doesn't sound great when used wirelessly, and the DS5 is supposed to have a good mic for voice chat now - though I do have doubts about that working well unless it's push-to-talk.
Afrikan was looking for wireless headphones rather than a headset though.

Whaaaaaat??? I always assumed I could use my BT headset ony XSX without much trouble. So no wireless headset at all?
Bluetooth audio is extremely laggy.
Though I do think they should at least support it, I don't think most people would actually want to use it after trying it out with games.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Optical alone would not let the mic work. I'm not sure what the solution is for headsets that use optical, but they'd need another connection to the console.
The Penrose mic doesn't sound great when used wirelessly, and the DS5 is supposed to have a good mic for voice chat now - though I do have doubts about that working well unless it's push-to-talk.
Afrikan was looking for wireless headphones rather than a headset though.

Bluetooth audio is extremely laggy.
Though I do think they should at least support it, I don't think most people would actually want to use it after trying it out with games.
thanks

I use BT earbuds on my PC when i dont want to put on headset and it works fine enough. Nothing too noticiable or off when i am playing overwatch

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Good choice, I had a pair of beyerdynamic headphones and the build quality was amazing for the price. Sound quality will be better than dedicated gaming headsets at the same price.

One thing to look at though is they are 250 ohms most gaming headphones are around 30 - 50 ohms. I suspect you will need to use an amplifier with these.

I had no idea that I'd need to buy an amplifier with these. Would this mean they wouldn't work well in the PS5 controller?

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I had no idea that I'd need to buy an amplifier with these. Would this mean they wouldn't work well in the PS5 controller?
They would work, but I would think even at max volume they would not be loud enough.

I game using Philips X1s which like the current X2s are easy to drive. When I plug into the PS4 controller I have the volume 80%.

Plugging headphones into the controller is never going to be as good as wired from the console.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
They would work, but I would think even at max volume they would not be loud enough.

I game using Philips X1s which like the current X2s are easy to drive. When I plug into the PS4 controller I have the volume 80%.

Plugging headphones into the controller is never going to be as good as wired from the console.

Noted. What would be a good Ohm? I've noticed that I can get a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770's which are 80 Ohm.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Noted. What would be a good Ohm? I've noticed that I can get a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770's which are 80 Ohm.
I would say anything around 80 Ohms would be fine, also have the benefit of being able to be used with a phone or tablet without amplification.

Another thing to consider is the DT770s are closed back headphones while the DT990s are open. I like open backed headphones as you feel less closed off.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I would say anything around 80 Ohms would be fine, also have the benefit of being able to be used with a phone or tablet without amplification.

Another thing to consider is the DT770s are closed back headphones while the DT990s are open. I like open backed headphones as you feel less closed off.

Thank You, I'll take all this into consideration.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I have a hyper xcloud 2 headset as well and never had any issues. I love them. Maybe you can contact the manufacturer?

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
Tempest 3D audio is built around any stereo headphones, no special sets needed.

I did a good amount of research on the Audeze Penrose and ended up ordering them. They seem legit. I work with audio and they're probably gonna become my new editing set since I really want planar magnetic headphones and this price point is excellent.

They released mic samples recently (revealing that they partnered with Shure). I'm not familiar with how headset mics in this price range usually sound, but it seemed... idk, basically acceptable?

I mean, not good certainly — too boomy, volatile plosives (which they specifically said they improved from the Mobius but it's clearly still a problem), and an occasional faint metal ring as if the adjustable mic arm were vibrating from the sound waves. Still, it was serviceable. If you put some additional windscreen/pop filter on it'd be much better.

The sound quality though should be pretty stellar. I'm excited to hear!

Thanks for the excellent response! After looking into the penrose some more, they are looking quite phenomenal. I also looked up the mic quality tests, and while I won't be using it wired, i was pretty impressed with the wired sound. The wireless sound is just as you said, acceptable, but in my opinion sounds much better than the Arctis' mic.

Though with the mic quality aside, it sounds like you're pretty confident that the penrose will be delivering a better sound quality than the arctis pro wireless?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the excellent response! After looking into the penrose some more, they are looking quite phenomenal. I also looked up the mic quality tests, and while I won't be using it wired, i was pretty impressed with the wired sound. The wireless sound is just as you said, acceptable, but in my opinion sounds much better than the Arctis' mic.

Though with the mic quality aside, it sounds like you're pretty confident that the penrose will be delivering a better sound quality than the arctis pro wireless?

"Better" is tough to say, given subjectivity and considering the fact that they use two different driver technologies with different sonic characteristics. If I had tried both I would be able to give a more direct comparison but here's what I'll say:

Planar magnetic drivers tend to have better definition, detail, and dynamic range than similarly priced traditional dynamic drivers, making for tighter and more distinct sonic character. Dynamic drivers tend to produce punchier bass more easily, but sometimes at the expense of clarity (and this is not to say planar magnetic drivers lack bass). For me, planar magnetic headphones sound like they'll make more of next gen 3D audio and help distinguish game sfx, dialogue, and chat when they're all going off at once.

The Penrose are apparently using the exact same driver internals as Audeze's pricier Mobius headphones, so you can check out reviews of those for impressions on the quality.

Also, one other big feature that really sold me on them is the fact that you can play from WiFi Direct and Bluetooth sources at the same time. So I could be listening to game (or video) audio on PS5, while also chatting over discord/zoom/whatever on my phone or pc. This is exactly what I've been wanting for all the remote hangouts and watch parties of covid times.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Total n00b question, but I also have a HyperX Cloud 2. Can I just use a 3.5 mm extension cable and plug into my PS5? Or TV, even?

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
If I get a headset, it'll probably be the Gen 2 Astro A20 headset, because you can just buy both wireless transmitters and use the same headset for Xbox and PS5.

ASTRO A20 Wireless Gaming Headset (Xbox, PlayStation) | Logitech G

Shop Astro A20 Headset. Features flip- to- mute mic, extended wireless range, Up to 15+hour battery, and more. For Xbox, PlayStation, PC, & Mac

Not a fan of the "gamer-fied" aesthetic (why do videogame accessories always have to be so gaudy?), but Astro make good stuff.

I've actually been thinking about this one. Do you know how to buy the extra wireless dongle, though? I wasn't able to find that on their site. I was thinking of buying the PS5 model and getting the XSX dongle.

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Audeze is building gaming headsets now? I remember when they came out with the LCD2 and I almost dropped a grand on them lol.

How on Earth are they half the weight of the 3D Pulse? Man, the 3D pulse are heavy as fuck at 620g. I thought planar magnetic was supposed to be really heavy.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Just purchased the audeze penrose. Was all set to go it with the TurtleBeach 700 stealth gen 2's but I had nothing but problems with those. Hell, even returning the product to TurtleBeach is a hassle as I recently learned UPS lost the return package. Anyway, Audeze seems quality, is wireless, offers simultaneous Bluetooth so I can listen to podcasts while gaming and I don't own a PC so being able to adjust settings and update firmware via iOS is big as that didn't seem to be the case with the Steelseries Arctis 9, which is what I was also considering.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I went with one of these. Since it's not officially out yet, I can't speak to whether it's great or not, but I've been happy with all of my Audeze purcahses in the past and I expect to be with this product as well.

www.audeze.com

Penrose Wireless Gaming Headset

The Audeze Penrose and Penrose X low latency wireless planar magnetic gaming headsets deliver the best in audio quality, broadcast microphone technology, and wireless performance for Xbox and PlayStation consoles, Windows and Macintosh desktops, and mobile devices.

Something to consider if that falls in your budget.

Damn you! Cancelled my 3D pulse and upgraded to the Audeze lol.

cwBzIgZ.png

I'm super hyped. This will be my first planar magnetics ever.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sticking with my V2 Golds for PS5. They've held up really well and I'm still fine with the sound quality of them.

taco543

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Just chiming in to say, I have a pair of steelseries Arctis Pro + gameDAC easily best headset ive ever owned.

Apr 18, 2018
Can anyone comment on the audio quality of wireless headsets like astro a50s or Arctis 7xs compared with plugging in a wired pair directly into the controller? My default is to use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x wired directly into my controller and I think they sound great.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
For an easy to drive headphone that can be driven by the controller's jack, i'd go with a sennheiser game one/pc37x, HD558/598/599 or the newly released pc38x. Or the philips shp9500.

If you have an external amp then the sennheiser HD6xx series, HD560S or HD58X are great options. (Yeah i'm a fan of sennheiser :))

Apr 18, 2018
For a easy to drive headphone that can be driven by the controller's jack, i'd go with a sennheiser game one/pc37x, HD558/598/599 or the newly released pc38x. Or the philips shp9500.

Personally i like sennheiser's overall sound profile more than the shp9500 but that's just personal preference.

I also have a few pairs of philips shp9500's with V-Moda BoomPro's and highly recommend those.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
I'm trying to get a pulse 3d headset since it's also compatible for pc but it always sells out before I can order one

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Are there wireless headsets that can connect to both PS5 and XSX? Beside the Astro A20 which looks a bit too "gamer" for me. Does Artis 7x work with PS4/5? Anything else out there?

Personally I have a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx from Drop (basically HD 650), a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Sony's WH-1000XM2. Usually use the latter through Bluetooth with my LG TV and it seems to work ok, and I use the Sennheisers with a v-moda on my PC. However all this latency talk now have me doubting myself and I am thinking of trying direct wireless. Used to have Sony's PS3 headset and PS4 gold but both broke so leery of trying Sony again and that wouldn't work for Xbox anyways.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
How does the 1000 XM3's hold up compared to the XM4? XM3s are 200 bucks in my country while the XM4 are twice of that.

Planning to use these headphones for listening music and some video games. I have the Gulikit bluetooth adapter for the Switch and I guess it'll work with the PS5 too since the adapter is compatible with the PS4 and Xbox.
I think for your purposes XM3 will be fine. I have the XM4 and I understand the main difference other than further improvements to the noise-cancelling is dual Bluetooth synch (e.g. phone and computer), which is not relevant for gaming anyway. Using mine with this boom mic audio cable plugged in the PS4 controller has worked perfectly - much better mic sound than my existing Turtle Beach according to friends I played with, and the sound quality on the headphones themselves is great. Controllers switching to USB-C will be the cherry on top, as the same cable you have handy for your controller charging will also work on the XM3 or XM4.

StickeeFingaz

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere. I currently have the Astro A50 PC/Xbox version, is there any way (adapter/accessories) that will allow me to use this headset on my PS5?