• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
My monitor only has one HDMI port but I have 3 HDMI devices. Constantly unplugging and re-plugging in cables is a hassle so I want a nice quality thing that takes multiple HDMI inputs and spits out one output, with a button or a switch on it I can use to change which signal is displaying.

I can only find cheap ones that require a constant power source. Anyone here know a good one?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like every switcher I've looked at falsely claims 4K @60hz. Anyone have one that isn't extremely expensive? Why are decent ones so hard to find?

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California

Amazon.com: HDMI Switch 4K - Techole HDMI Switcher 3 in 1 Out HDMI Splitter, or 3 x 1, No External Power Required, Supports 4K 3D HD 1080P for Xbox PS4 Roku Blu-Ray Player HDTV (HDMI Switch): Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: HDMI Switch 4K - Techole HDMI Switcher 3 in 1 Out HDMI Splitter, or 3 x 1, No External Power Required, Supports 4K 3D HD 1080P for Xbox PS4 Roku Blu-Ray Player HDTV (HDMI Switch): Home Audio & Theater

I have the version with only 2, it works perfectly.

I bought that one as well, but I was getting a messed up picture between my PC, Switch, and 4K TV. Maybe I just got a bad one.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the one for over a year. I can confirm it handles 4k 60 with my PS4 Pro and X1X. The video settings menu says it does 4:4:4 video. I got mine at amazon.

StarTech.com HDMI 2.0 Switch - 4 Port - 4K 60Hz - HDMI Automatic Video Switch Box - Multi Port Hub w/ 1 In 4 Out Functionality (VS421HD20)

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I used Caavo for a while, was the best at 4K and HDR. Plus liked how it even added the logo of each device you plugged.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does a switcher add lag? I've been managing 2 ports with 4 cables for years now

Very broadly and generally speaking, if the switcher has its own power supply (i.e. it needs to be plugged into power) then that usually prevents it from having lag, as it has sufficient power to handle its own digital signal throughput without interruption. If you buy one that does NOT have its own internal power and passively sends the signal through, you risk a higher chance of running into input lag and other signal-related problems.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I will repeat, the Nintendo Switch HDMI cable is crap. Some HDMI cables, when used with a switcher will start to experience issues, but are perfectly ok being plugged directly into the TV.

If you're having issues with an HDMI switch, and a Nintendo Switch console is involved, try swapping the cable.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I think the cheaper switches come all from the same factory in China anyway (they look so similar) and bought a cheap amazonbasics 4 in 1 switcher for around 20€. Worked perfectly fine for my needs. It can only do 4k/30, which is enough since I only plugged in 1080p/60fps devices anyway.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this as I'm looking for solutions to the same issue—tv only has four HDMI ports, and all of them are in use 😞.
Are there any new splitters out there that perform better than the rest?
Are there any downsides to using a splitter?

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also very interested in this. I have an old 1080p HDMI switcher that works well, and I still use for Switch, Wii U (yes I still keep my Wii U plugged in, there are still good games that are locked to it!) and PS3 (probably going to finally unplug that once Demon's Souls PS5 launches).

But the time I tried a 4k HDR Switcher for Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, PC and Nvidia Shield, I had troubles keeping a signal and getting HDR working. I'd love to find one that is guaranteed to work with next gen and support all the features.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Bumping this as I'm looking for solutions to the same issue—tv only has four HDMI ports, and all of them are in use 😞.
Are there any new splitters out there that perform better than the rest?
Are there any downsides to using a splitter?
FYI: there's a big difference between a splitter and a switch. Make sure you buy a switch.

Splitter: one input - multiple outputs
Switch: multiple inputs - one output

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just make sure you really look through the specs and reviews of any switcher, and make sure it fits your needs.

A lot of them can't pass through HDR, and they are only rated for 4k at 30 hz,... try to find something that can at least go 60hz.

Monoprice has their line of Blackbird 4k switchers that do the job, but they can get a little pricey.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
None of these work with HDMI 2.1 features like VRR or ALLM.
I don't think there is anything on the market that does, is there? I remember looking months ago when I first got an OLED just to simply cable management and I don't think I could find anything that was 4k120, 2.1, VRR. Or if there is it is probably in the hundreds of dollars.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had good luck with switchers (admittedly cheap ones from Amazon). Black screens and lag.

Eventually need to just get a new reciever.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think there is anything on the market that does, is there? I remember looking months ago when I first got an OLED just to simply cable management and I don't think I could find anything that was 4k120, 2.1, VRR. Or if there is it is probably in the hundreds of dollars.
Nothing yet. That's why the number of ports a TV has with HDMI 2.1 is more important than it should be right now.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Even in the Pro-AV market there is almost nothing that does HDMI 4k120 switching yet.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Correct. It will probably be a year or two before we see them.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have this one and it switches automatically between my PC, Switch, MiSTer, and PS4 nicely. Think the lag is ok because I can play rhythm games with it no issue.

Amazon.com: Proster 5x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor 4K 3D HDMI Audio Converter with IR Remote HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1CH Mode) or Stereo Output with 3 Feet HDMI Cable and 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA: Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Proster 5x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor 4K 3D HDMI Audio Converter with IR Remote HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1CH Mode) or Stereo Output with 3 Feet HDMI Cable and 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA: Home Audio & Theater

Oct 30, 2017
I've thought about this for a while but have seen some not so great reviews on YouTube. Would you recommend it?

It depends on which one you saw a review for. I didnt realize they brought out a smaller cheaper one besides the kickstarter version. I picked it up and its been the best switcher for everything I have hooked up to my projector(Switch, PS4, XBox, Nvidia Shield TV). Its easy enough for my wife to use so she isnt calling me to switch inputs for her. Like feonando said, it knows what you are connecting to, so it the remote settings get assigned correctly. The only downsides are the monthly/annual fee involved and its limited to 4 ports.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I am looking for a switch for my Series X and PS5. What about this one? It claims to be HDMI 2.2 also

Amazon.com: Kinivo 550BN 4K HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote (5 Port, 4K 60Hz HDR, HDMI 2.0, High Speed-18Gbps, Auto-Switching): Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Kinivo 550BN 4K HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote (5 Port, 4K 60Hz HDR, HDMI 2.0, High Speed-18Gbps, Auto-Switching): Home Audio & Theater

Although I want auto switching!
That's an HDMI 2.0 box.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I guess it is best if I explain use model! I just checked and the TV in my office is HDMI 2.0a (TCL 55P607)

I have a Yamaha YAS-207 sound bar, and will have the PS5/Series X/Switch/Nintendo classic

Anything suitable so I can get this all to work?

May 28, 2020
OMG I just ordered one from Amazon this morning and I get these awesome recommendations instead LOL!! Time to cancel and order one of these instead

Oct 27, 2017

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need that many ports? I wouldn't recommend a 1080p 60hz only switch at this point.