• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, Lockout. Was tied with Turf but Lockout.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
kind of weird to put the same map from different games in (and not right off the bat against each other)... because of this a difficult decision, midship vs sanctuary, went easily to sanctuary simply because i had already voted for heretic

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I spent an INORDINATE amount of time on blood gulch thanks to the halo PC demo, a pretty easy win over lockout

Motherfuckers sleeping on boarding action right now how dare y'all

boarding action and chiron were just too different and people didn't give them a chance, I absolutely love both of them. truly thinking outside the box map design

Are the numbers indicative of how many votes each has and if so who the fuck is voting for epitaph over mother fucking Zanzibar?
EDIT
Wizard over Ivory Tower? What the fuck?

Wizard, Warlock and Warlord are cancer to society, my disdain for those maps cannot be stated highly enough, they fucking suck.
Warlord getting into H2A instead OH IDK LITERALLY ANY OTHER HALO 2 MAP was astonishing

Byes over the Pit. Y'all trolling.

it should be a bannable offense

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The sheer number of good maps in Halo 1 and 2 is crazy. Also, it hurts my heart that Wreckage is at the bottom of the second bracket. It's one of the best BTB maps in the entire series and it was so hard to play because of stupid paid DLC in Halo 4.

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually amazing how many good maps were in H2, though. Basically H2 and Counter-Strike set the standards on the amount of high quality maps. I don't think any other game comes remotely close to those 2 games.

theres a reason ever since forge rose to prominence that we have remade every single Halo 2 map to incredibly high detail and with lots of competition in each game, people think about and love those maps above all else. Its not just nostalgia either, they hold up. Halo 2 is a special special game in terms of map design.

Oct 28, 2017
This is some good shit op.
For the original trilogy, no.1 is Blackout no.2 is The Pit and no.3 is Lockout.
I didn't bother with the other list since I haven't played 5 don't remember a lot of 4 and I don't own a lot of the DLC maps in Reach and 4
Someone should do this for other games like COD, Timesplitters or quake. Could be fun.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
People should put some respect on halo reach maps.

Powerhouse, Zealot, Spire, Anchor 9, Breakpoint, Boneyard.

Man Zealot on multi team battle ( 5 teams of 2 of believe) was the shit. so intense
Anchor 9 made it to my top 32...

as of right now the most common final 4 are

blood gulch, lockout, guardian and pit

mercy (haven remake), haven, truth (midship h5) and stonetown (zanzibar h2a)
There's a serious lack of coliseum in that second top 4.

Also Mercy is way too high.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually amazing how many good maps were in H2, though. Basically H2 and Counter-Strike set the standards on the amount of high quality maps. I don't think any other game comes remotely close to those 2 games.

Then all map makers retired and never passed on their skills.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Halo 2 had a lot of interactive things to compliment the one-sided modes. Relic, Containment, Zanzibar, Ivory Tower, and Terminal all had moving parts or buttons that gave the maps an extra layer of life.

Oct 26, 2017
All my finals were Zanzibar and it's variants... I can't help it, it's like my favorite map ever.

Wish the second bracket didn't include remakes, H2A is too much of a powerhouse compared to the output of Reach, 4, and 5.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 1 and 2 maps were so damn good. Especially 2. 343 should borrow a lot from the aesthetic and design of 2's maps.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Midship against Sanctuary? in the first round?

This is fucking rigged. Both of those maps deserve to be in the top 5/10.

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
All my finals were Zanzibar and it's variants... I can't help it, it's like my favorite map ever.

Wish the second bracket didn't include remakes, H2A is too much of a powerhouse compared to the output of Reach, 4, and 5.

True to a degree, but to leave them out wouldn't be fair

to be honest though looking at the data, the only one making it far is Stonetown (Zanzibar) and that appears to be circumstance because of a very weak half of the bracket
condemned, breakpoint and ragnarok are its competition to the E8

There's a serious lack of coliseum in that second top 4.

Losing to Haven in Elite 8

Sword Base will win bracket 2, you heard it here first

Losing to Haven in Sweet 16

Midship against Sanctuary? in the first round?

This is fucking rigged. Both of those maps deserve to be in the top 5/10.

yeah thats probably the toughest matchup, still, there can only be one!

also, as a lifelong college basketball fan, sometimes the bracket just fucks you, such is life.

I stayed true to the randomized list, if I started cherry picking it would be too difficult to stay unbiased

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
while i agree halo 2's maps, for the most part, are the best in the series, i was somewhat surprised completely the losers bracket with how i view 5's top maps. i think halo 5's best (coli and plaza) stand up quite well across the entire series.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As a primarily Halo 3 player, Guardian holds a special place in my heart.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it's been a long time, but all this did was remind me how fantastic H3 original maps were. My final four were Guardian, Construct, Narrows, and The Pit. A huge accomplishment considering how tough the competition from H1/2 maps is.

As far as the "Losers Bracket" goes, the only reason I can imagine Haven and its remake are so high is because every other map in H4 was awful. Made Haven look much better than the mediocrity it was. I remember a couple months into H4's life cycle, after a night playing the comp playlist, a friend of mine commented, "ah, another night of Halo: Haven I see." Every single game, everyone voted for Haven because the other maps felt unplayable in comparison.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Gulch is criminally overrated. Sidewinder/Avalanche are much better maps.

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking at the overall data

Lockout is 74-0 against Epitaph

Lockout is 215-10 against the BYE

therefore not having a map at all is better than Epitaph

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Also I love Lockout, but at higher levels of play it becomes way too much of a stand-off. It loses any flow it had. That will be put in consideration when I'm matching these.

So I'm looking at the overall data

Lockout is 74-0 against Epitaph

Lockout is 215-10 against the BYE

therefore not having a map at all is better than Epitaph

Shielded Epitaph is really bad. The modified version is tolerable.

Oct 31, 2017
I do think that Blood Gulch/Coagulation is the quintessential Halo map. Why? It facilitates all aspects that define Halo multiplayer well. It does both on foot and in-vehicle combat super well, as well as facilitates the two core, defining gamemodes well too: Team Slayer and Capture the Flag. And I think it also works great with all player counts too (2v2, 4v4, 6v6, and 8v8).

Lockout is incredibly overrated.

The Pit is the best no-vehicle map, or maybe Battle/Beaver Creek.

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that Blood Gulch/Coagulation is the quintessential Halo map. Why? It facilitates all aspects that define Halo multiplayer well. It does both on foot and in-vehicle combat super well, as well as facilitates the two core, defining gamemodes well too: Team Slayer and Capture the Flag. And I think it also works great with all player counts too (2v2, 4v4, 6v6, and 8v8).

Lockout is incredibly overrated.

The Pit is the best no-vehicle map, or maybe Battle/Beaver Creek.

100% about Coag

Really surprised at the lack of success for Battle/Beaver Creek

Beaver has Relic and Sidewinder in its path to E8
Battle has Valhalla in the first round which is close but Valhalla has a steady lead

I do love both of those maps though

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got Zanzibar for 1-3 and Stonetown for 4-5, which is a Zanzibar remake, I guess I really like Zanzibar :D

These memories though, so many excellent maps in 2-3 and Reach, I don't even remember most of the 4 and 5 DLC maps :/

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
For the Semi Finals, voting between Coag and Ivory Tower was the hardest decision of my life.

Coag wins of course. COAG ALWAYS WINS!

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Got Zanzibar for 1-3 and Stonetown for 4-5, which is a Zanzibar remake, I guess I really like Zanzibar :D

These memories though, so many excellent maps in 2-3 and Reach, I don't even remember most of the 4 and 5 DLC maps :/

dude, I have like 50/75 days of Halo 4/5 playtime AND I made the list and I still had a hard time connecting the names to the thumbnails
: /

For the Semi Finals, voting between Coag and Ivory Tower was the hardest decision of my life.

Coag wins of course. COAG ALWAYS WINS!

Fuck yeah, This guy gets it

(Im always happy no matter which map wins lol)

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Avalanche and Damnation are two of my favorite maps and they go up against each other in round 1, this is a strange way of doing this.

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Avalanche and Damnation are two of my favorite maps and they go up against each other in round 1, this is a strange way of doing this.

roll of the dice my friend, terribly sorry

but hey think of it this way, even if they met in the Championship game you've already made your decision

shoutout to the 8 people out of 112 that picked Prisoner over The Pit
I fucking love Prisoner, its a top 10 all timer but I couldn't pull the trigger

OP
OP
nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about doing a composite of the 32 most highly rated from both brackets but I am not sure that any single map in the second bracket will make an impact against the first bracket

*nerdy technical info*
Im not sure if other people can see it or only me but it has a metric not only for overall votes, but also how well it faired compared to its strength of opponent so even though I know ppl hate that Midship / Lockout is in the first round, Midship still ranks highly because anytime it is chosen its weighted so heavily in comparison because Lockout has so many votes

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
My final four for Halo 1-3: Sidewinder, Assembly, Avalanche and Chillout, with Avalanche winning.
My final four Reach-5: Truth, Mercy, Coliseum and Highlands, with Truth winning.