• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 14, 2017
We all remember the Xbox360 RRoD, and a few of us were also struck by the PS3 YLoD. This gen, the Rev. A PS4 Pro has a loud fan. The Switch has scratched screens and STILL has the Joycon drift problem.

Judging by what we know of the next gen consoles, can you foresee any problems with the designs that will cause problems?

Same with theXbox One X—no issues, but I've only had it for a year and a half, so that's expected. I also, weirdly, haven't been struck by Joycon drift just yet.

Do you see issues with these designs? What are they?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Don't want no surprises, so i will wait until next year just incase the first run has issues

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see issues with controller quality, as that's usually an issue one way or another. Not sure what could fail with the actual consoles though.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think any of the consoles will run into problems but I would not be surprised if the DualSense has some fragile parts that might cause trouble for some.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I full expect people's dual sense controllers to take a tumble at some point and something to dislodge from the haptic triggers. Aside from that, I can't imagine anything ever approaching the level of RRoD. That was literally a last minute manufacturing fuck up to save some pennies. I would be shocked if one of these companies fuck up on that level ever again.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
the-leidenfrost-effect-allows-this-man-to-pass-his-hand-through-molten-metal----but-only-briefly.gif

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's pretty clear from the console designs that heating was a concern - so I'm going to say overheating (probably when dusty/fans blocked in entertainment unit etc)

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
I full expect people's dual sense controllers to take a tumble at some point and something to dislodge from the haptic triggers. Aside from that, I can't imagine anything ever approaching the level of RRoD. That was literally a last minute manufacturing fuck up to save some pennies. I would be shocked if one of these companies fuck up on that level ever again.
I thought it was for environmental reasons. Wasn't it lead-free solder substitutes in a design built around leaded solder?

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
its a type of thermal paste used on electronics to help pass heat more efficiently to the cooling system. liquid metal is usually not recommended for the faint of heart as it can kill your system if its not applied rite and the area around it isnt protected properly
Is this different from standard thermal paste? How cool! I had no idea this was a thing.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Would PS5s with broken/blocked airflows run at lower clocks because its over the thermal budget?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
its a type of thermal paste used on electronics to help pass heat more efficiently to the cooling system. liquid metal is usually not recommended for the faint of heart as it can kill your system if its not applied rite and the area around it isnt protected properly
They did some crazy shit for it

I think thats prob the thing that def would be interesting to see if it works. They pretty much made a containment area for the liquidmetal To attempt to reduce failure.
Would PS5s with broken/blocked airflows run at lower clocks because its over the thermal budget?
it's based on power draw so Prob not.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I know Sony said they were trying to make a much quieter console, but until we get the thing in a living room playing a graphically intense game a year into its life, I am not going to believe what their definition of quieter is.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know Sony said they were trying to make a much quieter console, but until we get the thing in a living room playing a graphically intense game a year into its life, I am not going to believe what their definition of quieter is.
Yeah it will be interesting. I just rewatched what cerny was saying about it. I didn't realize that they draw constant power and vary the frequency based on the load vs the opposite way.
then if they use that cooling patent in this. If it works in practice it shouldn't care what's thrown at it.
also can see why it's kind of large to also dissipate the heat across its body.

if I'm understanding it when they say it's deterministic. It would mean the fans never kick up or down and stay at one speed only.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
PS5's full bore all the time GPU and, afraid to say it, but both companies custom SSDs.

SSD especially cause they aren't just a user replacement. Warranties and extended warranties will likely be a little more useful this time around.

I think we'll prob be fine though, both companies are focusing on quiet; thus cooling, and therefore lower thermals in general.

These things are cooling fans, with a game console attached lol not the other way around.

Im going with Dualsense analog stick coating. Always an issue
Ooooh good call. Was this ever fixed at any point this whole gen? Like if you bought a DS4 that rolled off the assembly line today, would it still have this issue?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's pretty clear from the console designs that heating was a concern - so I'm going to say overheating (probably when dusty/fans blocked in entertainment unit etc)

I think it should be fine(please) and it's the pro that made Sony focus on cooling and not an issue with the PS5 itself.
I'm going to be gutted if it is a problem again.

Oct 27, 2017
I think overheating will be the big thing, especially with PS5. An OC of 400 MHz isn't easy to sustain on air cooling.

I think consoles will be fine.
Fully expect controllers to have some jank though.
It uses an algorithm that predicts the thermal output based on processor load and what the typical APU silicon performs at (clocks vs temps can vary from one piece of silicon to another). But it probably has a temperature sensor that it uses as a failsafe in case you put the console somewhere with no airflow.

Another possibility is fan noise being an issue but we have no idea what the fan configuration on the PS5 is.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
I think overheating will be the big thing, especially with PS5. An OC of 400 MHz isn't easy to sustain on air cooling.

It uses an algorithm that predicts the thermal output based on processor load and what the typical APU silicon performs at (clocks vs temps can vary from one piece of silicon to another). But it probably has a temperature sensor that it uses as a failsafe in case you put the console somewhere with no airflow.

Another possibility is fan noise being an issue but we have no idea what the fan configuration on the PS5 is.
Do you think we'll get more info about internals on Wednesday?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The only concerns I have hardware wise is the noise/heat of ps5 and the controller build quality of Xbox both are weak areas currently and I hope they were taken seriously as design flaws and fixed for next gen.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I think the DualSense could end up being kind of a mess. It's got so much tech in it now, think about how many points of failure it has.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'll be impressed if adaptive triggers aren't breaking regularly.

Overheating could be an issue in both consoles too.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think we'll get more info about internals on Wednesday?
Doubt it, maybe a shot of the die/fan configuration though if they do one of those exploded view CG renders, which can be helpful. But a full proper hands-on will come after both consoles release.

That's when media can do a teardown of every part, monitor its real temps/power usage, and how many decibels of noise it makes in normal operation.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think both systems should be fine, but the biggest risk is definitely PS5's mixture of high overclocking, and extremely fast NVMe storage in such a small package.

The system is huge for a console, but it's tiny for a PC and previous RDNA cards , never-ending Gen4 NVMes ran incredibly hot (and often throttled speed). It sounds like they've tried very hard to allev
iate these issues, and if RDNA2 runs much cooler even when overclocked, then with the use of standard fans (and liquid metal was it?) it's possible Sony and AMD have it all under control.

If PS5's don't see high failure rates at launch, it's possible they could see higher failure rates in a couple of years, but it's also highly likely that Sony has done a good job, and the system will have sufficient thermal design.

Microsoft also no doubt had a lot of challenges, but I'd wager they are running the gpu as it was designed to run, as opposed to overclocking the unit. Also, thier NVMe is slower and runs closer to Gen3 spec, which doesn't even require a heating. Also, the heavy heatsink/vapor chambor, and full sized fan/funnel design of the system looks well done, especially if it's as quiet as they claim.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
If you place it horizontally, those PS5 fins look like ramps for cockroaches to go inside those big ass vents.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
All I know is I'm not putting the X-Series X on its side. I don't care if Microsoft says you can. The system looks like it built to stand up with an unremovable stand on the bottom and I don't go against how something is designed.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dual sense triggers and analogs
PS5 overheating

Xbox dpad
Series X being a space heater

edit: Oh yeah, and SSD failures for both.