• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
91xzoYlsw-L._SL1500_.jpg

For €59,- at release, i guess?

I think the store ran out of the "game-only" SKU so they just marked down the one including the WiiMotion+ controller and the sound track from €100 to €59

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got a PS4 Slim for 105€ (new) + Resident Evil 2 because of a bug on a french retailer's website.

I received it, and i got a mail the day after, telling me that since it was a mistake, they will refund my money... and they did.

So i had a PS4 Slim for free + Resident Evil 2, that i sold for around 200€ i think ?

Also bought a lot of great games for almost nothing on the french craiglist (FF7 @ 3€, etc etc...). But it was 10 years ago+. Now it's almost impossible to find prices like these on old games.
Leboncoin was wild back in the day, I got a PS2 slim with GTA San Andreas, MGS2, Devil May Cry a memory card and 2 controllers for 20€. Also managed to score a GC for like 15€.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I got a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for $0.52 cents back when GameStop was clearancing out all their GB/GBC games back in like 2009. I think the game is worth around $90 now.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I scored the Street Fighter 2 Arcade 1Up for $75 and the Golden Tee Arcade 1Up for $100.

churerbilly

Nov 26, 2018
PS5 Digital Edition for 1 Swiss Franc (that's about 90 Cents).
Price mistake, never thought that i'll get it for that price, but that's the problem when companies outsource the invoicing.

Paid also 9 Swiss Francs for two! PS5 controller....

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back when the Gamecube was still a current gen console I bought a used copy of Mario Kart Double Dash from Game/CeX for £10 and it came with the Zelda collectors edition bonus disc (with LoZ, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask). I had no idea when I went to buy it. Best £10 ever spent.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 64, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for $25 was pretty legit back in the day. Recently, that $30 13 Sentinel's deal from Best Buy was pretty good. I have a feeling physical copies are going to become rare so it might be worth something in the future.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
PS5 Digital Edition for $23 from Wal-Mart.

Don't think I'll ever get that lucky again

Oh man, I remember reading about people's price showing this but forgot to follow up and see if anyone actually got them! That is absolutely insane. I got my PS5 disc from Walmart at launch but wish I had gotten digital just for this lmao.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I remember reading about people's price showing this but forgot to follow up and see if anyone actually got them! That is absolutely insane. I got my PS5 disc from Walmart at launch but wish I had gotten digital just for this lmao.

Yeah I didn't think it would happen to be honest, I'm like that's a big mistake, they'll definitely correct before launch. I was at work when I saw the Apple Pay notification "Wal-Mart, $23". I jumped out of my seat haha

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
During PS4 / Xbox 1 launch, Future Shop (or it might have been Best Buy) had a promo, where you could trade ANY, literally PS3/360 game for ANY of the next gen launch games. I went to walmart and bought a bunch of dollar and two dollar trash games and traded them for 1 of each launch game.
Made for a great PS4 launch

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
I won an eBay auction for a sealed big box copy of Fallout 2 for $16, while the other listings were going for $80+.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my copy of the original Tenchu back in the day because I needed the credit for some other game, but then the store owner gave me a promo disc of Tenchu for free that supposedly didn't let you save the game. He was wrong though, game saved fine. I still own it and got all of my Grandmaster ranks on it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Last year I bought a white psp 3000 on a whim for $80. It was listed at my local marketplace and took a chance. It is the most pristine handheld I own. Not a scratch, not a dent, it's like a brand new device. My guess is the owner never used it

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Gamestop had a 70% trade bonus and it was in a year that I was buying physically heavy I had about 25 games that I bought new and I usually trade after I beat a game anyway and traded them in for 50-60 a piece because of the trade bump. Ended up ordering a new pc with the trade credit and got a rtx 1070 with 16gb ram and paid $0 out of pocket

Jan 9, 2018
Gamestop had a 70% trade bonus and it was in a year that I was buying physically heavy I had about 25 games that I bought new and I usually trade after I beat a game anyway and traded them in for 50-60 a piece because of the trade bump. Ended up ordering a new pc with the trade credit and got a rtx 1070 with 16gb ram and paid $0 out of pocket
Gtx not rtx

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Got an Xbox 360 Slim, HDMI cable and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for £50 on Amazon's Black Friday deals back in the day, and got Battlefield 3 for £4 when the PS4 launched thanks to a weird screwup with vouchers that Amazon gave out to people who'd ordered any gaming stuff.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Destiny 1 CE with Ghost for free cause Amazon messed up. I tried to return it but they kept saying something about light bulbs.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago before retro game collecting became a thing, i found a copy of earthbound in a box of SNES carts at a pawn shop for $5 or 10. I also used to be able to get gameboys from pawn shops/thrift stores for about the same price. I believe all that stuffs shot up at this point.

There was a best buy near me that was slowly closing (like... over the course of 6 months), and on launch days they'd ring up a game at the pre-order price and i'd get it for $5. For a bit I was able to use my friends GCU and it was like $4, but i think that overlap only happened once or twice.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I ordered an XBox One S from Amazon, saw there was an incredible deal at Newegg with extra controller/games for the launch price, and contacted Amazon to cancel or match the deal. The rep said they'd get back to me in a day and match the deal.

I reached out to Amazon a day later, and they said the rep was lying and they'd never match a deal like that, so I told them I wanted to cancel the order. They cancelled it, and I received a refund.

The next day, an XBox One S showed up at my door from Amazon. I waited a week for them to contact me, and they never did.

Sooo... free XBox One S on launch day from Amazon, I guess.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Got paid around £600 in currys/pcworld vouchers + a PS4 Pro after they messed up a black friday deal and refunded everyones orders for PS4 Pro's in store vouchers. I ordered 3 so had nearly 1k in free store credit lol

Trimble

Nov 26, 2017
This is kinda OT but last weekend I went to pick up an open box 55" 4K Vizio from Best Buy. Brought it home and turns out they'd mislabelled it and it's the 65" model. HA!

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember back in 2003-2004 I traded REZ from PS2 for the cardboard box version of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete with everything in it and in mint condition.

For some reason REZ was very expensive in those days and the trade seemed more fair at the time. But not today according to the current prices of both games.

Around the same time i traded Eternal Darkness from GC for Castlevania SOTN , altought it was the GH green label version, that trade was a complete deal for me. I was able to buy ED again soon after that for dirty cheap.

Also around this time i was able to adquire some PSX game for cheap , such as Alundra, Vagrant Story etc.

Other were for games i bought during release, for example the Silent Hill Series which are very expensive now. Same for most of my GameCube collection.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
20 years ago i got an amazing deal on a brand new geforce 2 card that was almost too good to be true, turns out it was too good to be true, the friend i bought it from admitted he stole it a couple of years later.

But the all time best deal i have ever made was getting an extra copy of panzer dragoon saga at a clearance sale, the game was just starting to climb in value and i got a sealed copy for 30£, that thing is worth 700-800£ now.

Oh and i also picked up a copy of castlevania symphony of the night for 5£ only to forget the bag on the subway ten minutes later, that one hurt, not so much because of the value as that i really just wanted to play that game again, i had to wait until the xbox live version many years later to play it again.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
5 Euro für CoD: Cold War, until it was revoked last week ;)

overall I guess it was Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn for 10 DM when a local store for cameras closed (they sold some games from time to time and got rid of their inventory at some point).

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I purchased Morrowind for PC for 1 dollar at an online game trading/selling website. I doubted that I would even receive the game. Sure enough I got it in a near mint PC box with full sized manual and huge fold out map. There was a little note that said "Enjoy." The game then consumed me for the next several weeks and instantly made my previously favorite genre (JRPG) almost unplayable. It was my first western style RPG and I could not believe how immersive the world was and the amount of freedom I had.

I wish I could meet the person who sold me that game besides saying thanks, I'll buy them whatever full priced game they want because their willingness to sell me that game for 1 dollar created one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the glories of Summer trade ins, one Gamestop major fuckup. Walked across to BestBuy, bought copies of PvZ and Spiderman for $4, and then exponentially increased in value per six used games. I think most of us who took advantage of this made out like bandits, even converting their Gamestop credit straight to Amazon credit before they took notice. Maybe like 2k-ish? It was a glorious time, and those used games were nearly selling for their market prices.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I had a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, bought at launch for whatever games cost at the time, 50-70€?

Had to sold it about a decade ago, because of money issues, still hurts.

Recently, maybe RTX 3070 for MSPR ( Zotac, 500+-€) lol

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
A complete copy of Snowboard Challenge for the NES for €19.99 (i think that was the price). This was on Ebay back in 2006 or so, a "Buy it Now" listing.

I was relatively new into NES collecting back then and i had never heard of the game before. I searched on the internet for more info on the game just after i saw the listing, but i couldnt really find anything. I took a chance, and later on found out that it was a pretty rare game. Luckily no one else bought it while i was looking for more info on the game :)

I have no idea what the game was worth back then, but it was a uncommon/rare game even back then. It only came out in Spain (the game itself also came out in the US, but under a different name "Heavy Shreddin'"). I recently saw an auction on Ebay where a copy went for €2100, and that didnt include the manual.

Oct 29, 2017
There was a church rummage sale, it was like day 2 of it and in the morning. A snes with link to the past, super Metroid, Mario world 1 and 2, kart, 8 sports games, final fantasies, secret of mana, dk country 1-3. Two controllers. Had a few boxes and manuals. All for $20.
I was shaking. This was 14 years ago when there were only a few 'gaming' you tubers and I had discovered the existence of these games.
I never owned a snes until that day and I never found as great a deal as that.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Yakuza Like A Dragon for 15 EUR a week or two after release was a recent pretty good deal.

A better deal was perhaps the SNES I bought from some kid in high school who sold it for pretty cheap since he needed money for weed or whatever he was smoking at that time. Not totally sure about the price... I'm guessing 100 guilders (50 EUR now). I got the Super Scope + games and Super Mario World. Sucks it broke down a few years later after I borrowed it to a friend.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The soda with the code that won me a Series X from Taco Bell lol.

I probably have more of these but in recent memory I grabbed a Lunar Silver Star complete on PS1 in box with all the stuff for like $10 last year.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 2080 Ti for MSRP a couple of months before the 3080 released

🥲

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
About two maybe 3 summers ago there was a thing at GameStop where if you bought 2 3DS games, you got one free. The trade in value was much higher than the cost. So a few friends and I hit the town and bought up as much as we could and sold as much as we could. I ended up $1000 richer in GameStop bucks for about 7 hours of work.
I gave my friends 3 games each to start their. Trade in madness and they each hit about $600.