• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Last summer I found myself basking into Resident Evil Remaster on GC. The ambiance did wonders and the experience felt intimate. I often took a few moments to gather my thoughts after clearing a stressful zone. Slowly progressing, I felt I was mastering the controls and fought the zombies with growing composure. It was pretty cathartic and this game is now a top 5. I must say I was enticed to play it by Huber, he is doing a great job vouching for this series.

For the little story, I bought that game about 15 years ago and always knew there would be a right time to play it. Did not regret waiting all those years.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A Short Hike was a really soothing experience for me recently. It's incredibly laid back, calming, and there are comforting little gamey elements tucked under a really warm and inviting world and cast of characters.

Another game I've enjoyed getting on for only 10 or 20 minutes at a time lately is Kind Words. It's a game where all you do is have your character sit at a little desk in the game, listen to chill music, and either write about the things you're going through to have other people give advice or encouragement, or read the requests others have and reply to and support them. While the online multiplayer element can feel a tad daunting it's the single most comforting and supportive online community I've seen and it gives both the effect of giving some light ease to feelings or pain or hollowness, but also gives a sense of real personal connection in limited but valuable ways.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
When I'm like this, I play short games that don't demand too much effort or attention. Pinball FX3 and old arcade games via emulation works best. Epic open worlders are right out.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I find getting lost in an immersive game helpful. Xenoblade Chronicles DE worked wonders in May; it has a huge world that is lonely and moody in a way that matched my mood.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
When They Cry VNs helped me a TON.

I usually like to play/read/listen to sad things when I'm depressed.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Hi OP, hope whatever is going on in your life that makes you feel this way gets better soon.

Whenever I feel down, I play something I wouldn't normally even consider! I find it fun to take a chance and discover something new. Even if I don't end up enjoying it much, it makes me feel good that I at least tried something new and gave it a fair shot. You might also find something new that you enjoy!

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
The Ace Attorney games are light-hearted, don't require much commitment, and are just wholesome. I'd recommend those games to just about anyone.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
I dont usually play when im down,. Probably just walk outside and get some fresh air.
But 2 games that always give me positive vibes are Samurai Shodown on the Neo Geo and Outrun 1. Beside loving those games to pieces they take me to a time where things were easier.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Bubble Bobble (original version). Tetris Effect. Games with uplifting music as well as nice visuals.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Very depends what kind of experience you're after.

I find games I enjoy when I'm sad fall into three categories:
  • Zen games
  • Games you can get lost in
  • Multiplayer games
Zen Games
These are those kinds of slow, relaxing experiences that don't always require a lot of effort or dexterity to play. I like games like Alto's Adventure/Odyssey, Lonely Mountains: Downhill, or even the Trials games. Collectathons and platformers also apply.

Games you can get lost in
Your mileage will vary here. Sometimes I like a tight narrative experience to just get stuck into and finish off, sometimes I want a huge sprawling RPG to just immerse myself in like The Witcher 3 or Divinity: Original Sin 2. One particular October, I was lonely working away in a new city and all my housemates had gone home for the weekend. I bought myself Batman: Arkham Origins and just plowed through it over the course of the weekend. Having something to get my teeth into really helped.

Multiplayer Games
Again, your mileage may vary depending on your tastes, general friend group and attitude toward the likes of LFG. Sometimes this can be something competitive like Titanfall 2, but in general I love cooperative games like Grounded, Sea of Thieves, Borderlands or even things like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or Remnant: From the Ashes with friends. I've had great times with things like Dark Souls coop and organic experiences with other people in things like Ashen. One of the best gaming friends I made back in the day was on Army of Two with a stranger. Don't discount the joy to e had playing something like Knight Squad, Boomerang Fu or Speedrunners with a small group of people as well

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Minecraft is perfect, eats up those hours perfectly

Witcher 3
Mass Effect series
Dead Space Series
Elder Scrolls Online
Forza Horizon 4

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I would second Stardew Valley but a game that taps into the feeling of loneliness and lifts you up through its journey Of reconnecting with your friends, family and ultimately yourself is Night in the woods.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i for once enjoy the solitute and wanderlust that some games evoque, like Shadow of the Colossus and recently, Death Stranding. but it tends to get gloomy yes and then i switch to Zelda.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Sayonara Wild Hearts is a simple, short and beautiful arcade/runner game about getting back into your groove, with a soothing/uplifting soundtrack.

I guess just listening to it can have this effect:

"Let you forget yourself and where you are and who you are" would fit this game considering the character wears a mask and travels through dream-like environments.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
For me it's soulslike games. You really need to focus on the combat and the story doesn't take the foreground, so it doesn't matter if you don't pay attention to that

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I suffered depression and loneliness but Death Stranding made me actually enjoy loneliness. It's not like the depression went away, it's just that it made it a lot easier to live with it. It's the message of the game that inspired me and the lonely walks had a therapeutic effect on me smh.

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
Zelda games here. Just returned to The Minish Cap for the first time since the game's release for this exact reason.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Paper Mario on N64 helped get me through a rough patch about 4 or 5 years ago. It was pretty mindless with low difficulty and tons of charm.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Any older Pokemon game (Gen V and back) for me, takes me completely out of reality so I feel at peace for a while.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Smash I'd say. Very scalable, doesn't require much investment and the festive atmosphere with the crowd reactions and music and animations/voice acting filled with life... It transports me to a different world.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
For me, it's games that i know from heart that are the best in this situation. Games like Final Fantasy 7 or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Things that bring a wave of nostalgia.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Souls / Bloodborne - I think there's something to be said about not giving in to their relentlessly oppressive and hostile worlds when you're personally struggling in the real one too.

Silent Hill 2 - Might seem an odd choice but I find it a really therapeutic game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
DOOM Eternal. There's no time to think about anything else when the forces of Hell are trying to kill you at lightspeed.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
You are not going to believe me, but last year i was feeling pretty down and the only thing that gave me some peace was FFXV

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Crash Trilogy, always been there for me since I was a kid, oh and A Hat in Time which I've recently played and was really chilling

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably lame, but I like to play games with heavy emphasis on story, friendship, party bonds and the like.

I can't really recommend Persona these days because some of the content is a little problematic, but game's like Trails of Cold Steel, Grandia, Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts are some of my go-to feel good games. Stardew Valley as well.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
My go to when I'm feeling like this is usually playing an mmo while listening to music in the background. I've been playing a lot of elder scrolls online lately while blasting spotify playlists.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Metal Gear Solid 1 and TWEWY have both helped lift me out of two particularly bad depressive episodes I had a few years back.

Super Mario Odyssey was also pure joy in gaming form for me, but I wasn't particularly down when I beat it. I'm more down after this year, maybe I should give it another whirl.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
FFXIV or MMO since I really like the idea I can work towards a small goal or progress my character.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I find Red Dead 2 - not the story missions, of course - very relaxing. Like just hunting, picking flowers, feeding your horse, riding over a hill, doing random side quests etc. etc. is incredibly peaceful, and helped by the fact that the game is so good to look at. There are gunfights, of course, but they aren't ever particularly challenging and they don't tend to be too interruptive.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Something lighthearted and cheerful. My options are Katamari Damacy, Tearaway, LocoRoco and Journey. Someone mentioned Fall Guys, which now that I think about seems like a great option.

Also, Symphony of the Night is a game tht always makes me have a good time.

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
I recently bought Spiritfarer on the switch and OP thats the game for you. I've been feeling like you, and this game was the escape i've been needing. You get to hug the characters, pet your cat and its just such a cosy game (with some sad/melacholic moments so far). The artstyle is so captivating too! And OP, hope all is well. Sending you love & hugs.