• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Mario Land 1 is better than Mario Land 2.

It's probably one of:

Tetris
Pokemon Red/Blue
Kirby's Dreamland 2
One of the Final Fantasy games

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? The only ones i remember are metal gear solid and pokemon crystal... maybe thats because they were at the beginning of the exclusivity and then it was just assumed from there on? 🤷🏼‍♂️
there's a bunch of crap. mostly licensed games and (worse) ports of Game Boy games. you can count the number of GBC games worth playing on your fingers.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Really? The only ones i remember are metal gear solid and pokemon crystal... maybe thats because they were at the beginning of the exclusivity and then it was just assumed from there on? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah. Both the Oracle games, both the GTA games, MGS, the Harry Potter games, Pokemon Crystal, Perfect Dark, Turok, Tomb Raider, Conker, off the top of my head.
GBC had a lot of exclusives. But Pokemon G/S are not among them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mystic Quest (FF Adventure in the US) and Megaman V are my faves.

Also, Bionic Commando, Castlevania 2: Belmont's revenge, DK'94 and Tetris.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the best ones have been mentioned (Tetris, DK '94, Bionic Commando). Operation C is also awesome for a portable Contra. Battletoads, as well.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Mega Man V. It's pretty hard to find but still a great game. I liked the Stardroids being named after the Planets rather than "somthing"- Man. Plus we got Tango. This little guy needs to come back

latest

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
A lot of the best ones have been mentioned (Tetris, DK '94, Bionic Commando). Operation C is also awesome for a portable Contra. Battletoads, as well.

Operation C is quite good. I just recently played it for the first time with the Contra collection, so it's not even a nostalgic thing for me.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Belmont's Revenge which happens to be one of the most improved upon sequels ever.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Operation C is quite good. I just recently played it for the first time with the Contra collection, so it's not even a nostalgic thing for me.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Belmont's Revenge which happens to be one of the most improved upon sequels ever.
Belmont's Revenge was mentioned above my previous post. That was a massive improvement. I would have bought it way sooner had I known. I was disappointed with buying the first GB Castlevania in 1990 and it turned me off from getting the sequel right away.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
GameBoy Camera.

N64 is my favorite console of all time but GameBoy might be the greatest gaming hardware ever made.

You expect modern consoles, PCs and smartphones to do what they're designed for and told to do but you never knew what was next on GameBoy. GameBoy Camera is one such innovation.

SNES had Mario Paint. You could make graphics, music and animation but you wouldn't expect that on GameBoy. Sure, the slow D-Pad cursor for painting and other things is a major concession, but if you were really dedicated you could do some interesting art and animation.

The camera feature introduced me to the idea of putting myself into the game. Since GBCamera's release, I was never truly satisfied with playing a character that wasn't me. The games included with the peripheral are fairly basic by themselves, but when you're the final boss of Space Fever II it becomes a good time.

GBCamera along with the Game & Watch Gallery games are some of the best fanservice games before fanservice became a common way to appeal to Nintendo fans. There's Easter Eggs everywhere.

Digital cameras were hella expensive and only the best ones had color. GameBoy didn't care. It was cheap and had a lousy green screen you had to sit next to a house lamp to enjoy. And yet, GameBoy Camera still had enough to inspire creativity from its players.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Some really good puzzle games on the Gameboy. Reiterating Mole Mania and Kwirk, adding Catrap and Kwirk's sequel, Amazing Tater. Pac-in-Time is a port of the Amiga classic Fury of the Furries, and the Gameboy version is much more faithful than it was on other systems. Adventures of Lolo also got one of its best versions.

But honestly, my favorite Gameboy software is LSDj. A chiptune sequencer that runs on the Gameboy and seems to exceed the capabilities of the Gameboy itself. Not to self-promote or anything, but just for illustration, here's my arrangement of the Mario Galaxy Ghost song done on there. It is very good software.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The original Game Boy, not the Color.
nope... yellow was the last OG gameboy pokemon. (Yes i know they can be played on an og gameboy, nearly all color games except mgs... maybe one or two more can. But the thread explicitly asked for OG not color games)
In all technicality, despite the branding, Gold and Silver GBC-enhanced GB games. Only Crystal was a true GBC game.

Theres maybe 3 color games ever made that cant be played on an og gameboy, but the thread specifically asked for them to be og.
There were actually hundreds.

Edit: already covered

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Wario Lands are infinitely better than Super Mario Land 2

but DK '94 is better than everything

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's improved upon but still not super fun to play. the ending in particular is bad.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of my answers have already been given. Tetris, DK94, Kirby's Dream Land and the Wario Land games are all excellent. Pokemon Pinball is legit too, despite being sold as a GBC game it works on the OG hardware as well.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned so I'm going to vote for Final Fantasy Legends 2.

Such a charmingly bizarre game.

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Legit one of the best gameboy games. I've sunk countless hours into it. You have various powerups, can direct the shooting direction etc. It's amazing.
001.jpg

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Op Final Fantasy Adventure is really good despite its age. I played it for the first time in the Mana Collection also. After finishing it I tried to play the remakes (Sword of Mana and the 3D remake) and they are inferior.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
There are 660 GBC-compatible games, but Wikipedia seems to have pages for 114 GBC-only games (Oracles are merged so that's at least 115 ). I doubt its 400+, unless you're just counting the distinct ROMs in your GBC-only folder, which would include regional variants. Conker is dual-platform, by the way.

But yes, as far as your point is concerned, there are way more than three to five, heh.
Yeah, I definitely had crossed wires there lol.
But yes, even 114 (115?) exclusives is a lot.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked Donkey Kong Land 1-3 , Kirby´s Dream Land, Kirby´s Dream Land 2, Wario Land : Super Mario Land 3, Wario Land II, Metroid, Harvest Moon, Yoshi, Alleyway

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris
Skate Or Die
Turtles - Fall of the Foot Clan
The amazing Spider-Man
A boy and his Blob

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mole Mania is a definite highlight for me. It's a super addicting, and charming, action-puzzler. A surprisingly overlooked Nintendo game, and definitely in my top 5 for the system.

And as others have said, the Wario Land games are all classics. Even the first one.

Molemania was going to be my pick, so thank you for mentioning it first.

I would be down for a sequel.