• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I am about to start Final Fantasy Adventure in the Collection of Mana and it got me thinking about what were the best games on Nintendo's first handheld.

For me, the Kirby's Dreamland and Kirby's Dreamland 2 are fantastic not only as games on the Gameboy but as games in general.

Metroid 2 is really impressive but its age really really shows.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Another vote for Wario Land 1. I enjoyed Megaman 2, and I hear The Castlevania Adventure 2 is good

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of naming the single best I find it more interesting to talk about GB games that still hold up today, as I feel most of them do not. Most of the games mentioned thus far would be included on such a list but I'd also add Mario Picross (thought the time limit sucks compared to later releases), Batman, and Daedalian Opus.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Obviously, Tetris.

But I gotta say, Final Fantasy Legend III holds up well. The time travel and space themes were wild and some of the fights were brutal.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i don't find myself dying to go back to the gameboy tetris-- despite its impact it had on the market and as much as i do love tetris-- where as i play DK94 all of the time. there are so many better iterations of Tetris, can't say the same for DK94.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Fortified Zone if you want a Metal Gear light experience on the GB.

Kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru if you want to play a charming action adventure Link's Awakening like game. Fun fact: Link's Awakening is using the same engine and there is even a reference for Kaeru in LA.

Trip World is a short but fun side scroller made by Sunsoft and heavily inspired by Gimmick! on the NES (even the music is equally as awesome).

If you are a Mega Man fan I can recommend you the five Mega GB games (especially Mega Man V is amazing).

Are you looking for a certain genre?

Yes, I know.

Pokemon Gold/Silver are original Gameboy games.

That's debatable. While it's true that you can play them on the OG Game Boy I still wouldn't classify it as a classic GB game. Even the game packaging says Game Boy Color. These GB/GBC hybrid games are really hard to classify properly lol.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Not many, imo.

Pokémon (any) and the original Mario Land.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The Gameboy version of Gargoyle's Quest II has more content than the NES version too:

demondarkness-66800.jpg

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
In addition to what's been named, I still play Kirby's Pinball Land and Revenge of the Gator, both by HAL.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Wario Land - excellent platformer and a spin-off of Super Mario Land (aka SML3)
Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and if you enjoyed the enemy capturing mechanic of Mario Odyssey you are gonna like Avenging Spirit as well. That game lets you possess every enemy you see in the game. 👻

idolminds

Nov 2, 2017
Cave Noire is a really great roguelike for the Gameboy that sadly only released in Japan. Would love to see a modern game use some of its ideas.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

Edminton

Jun 4, 2018
Mole Mania is a definite highlight for me. It's a super addicting, and charming, action-puzzler. A surprisingly overlooked Nintendo game, and definitely in my top 5 for the system.

And as others have said, the Wario Land games are all classics. Even the first one.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The last official classic GB game (which OP asked for) in the West was Pokémon Yellow. Pokémon Gold and Silver are Game Boy Color games (which can be played on the original game).

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
If it runs on the system without any modifications to either the game or the hardware, it should definitely count. So yeah, Pokémon G/S are great suggestions. I also second DK94.