• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cockmagic

Oct 30, 2017
Trying to get in better shape. I know there's a bevy out there, and most are probably sufficient. If there's a broad consensus, or if you have individual recommendations, please share!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's one that everybody uses and is all over the Internet if you search it. MyFitnessPal

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
MyfitnessPal has a god awful UI and UX.

With that said, it's still the best option. The user generated database with camera-based barcode scanning and proper macros (not just calories but carbs, fats, fibres, sugars, protein, etc) is second to none.

I tried 3 others to try to get away from MFP. Had to come back each time.

My only complaint is no easy way to track net carbs.

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
I'm going to go with the general consensus and say that MFP (my fitness pal) is probably the best counting app you can use at the moment.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
I still use MFP even with all its shitty ads and push for premium and bad UI/UX. Really should be a better option by now that's more simple and streamlined.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I use Lose It! and my wife uses MFP. I like the UI of Lose It! but don't like that you can't meal plan with it. Also on Android it has annoying pop up ads that usually happen only once a day at the start of the day asking if you'd like to go premium for like $70 a year (CAD). That being said - MFP looked like you could customize the way it recommends a bit more with levels of exercise where Lose It! doesn't do that.

If anything, just remember that counting calories isn't an exact science and can be incredibly difficult at the start. I used Lose It to drop 70 lbs and really only had difficulty at the start because I just didn't realize how much I was consuming or how terrible some foods are for you so it really is an eye opener when you look at what you consume.