• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017

first one that came to mind is dreamy somnom woods from Mario&Luigi 4, also kiccigorgi forset from SMT4

both tracks are really hauntingly beautiful in their own way

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018

One of the most underrated Kirby themes.

It starts pretty cheerful, but then turns into something beautiful.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Some amazing choices in this thread.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei's panpipes for Episode 3 were incredible! Anyone else remember the forest stage?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Here's a recommendation out of left field.
Guardian Heroes' forest theme (Brave Parade), in all its cheesy synth glory.

Stick with it - it's only 2 minutes long - and you will be rewarded with a guitar solo that feels almost out of place due to how awesome it is.
Damn that solo is amazing, I wish it wasn't so short :(

Edit: dock I played the Saturn demo disc so many times, the forest was the only stage it would let you play. I love this song!

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017

I would also stay a little bit longer on the overmap just to hear this tune play out a couple times. Makes you wanna frolic through a fucking forest.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Panzer Dragoon Zwei's panpipes for Episode 3 were incredible! Anyone else remember the forest stage?

Just by hearing this song I can remember them swooping between the trees. One of the best levels on that game and best tracks as well, thank you for sharing and reminding me of it.

My choice for a great forest track (surprised it hasn't been mentioned):

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I barely ever mention Final Fantasy XIII for the things it did right, but that game had an amazing soundtrack!

And I loved this song in particular. Not so much a traditional 'mysterious forest' song, but a very upbeat one.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Shenmue II has a short but really meaningful section of the game in the forests of Guilin (China). And like the rest of the game, it's densely packed with A LOT of beautiful music.

These are two of the most representative. A kind of "happy" one:

And another a bit more "sad" or nostalgic (I love the chinese violin solo at the very end):

If you like them, delight yourself with the full 2h hours of music compiled in this wonderful video:

The first half of Shenmue III is supposed to happen in the same location, so I'm really eager to hear the music. The game could end up being trash (it won't), but only for a second set of Guilin music it will be worth it to me.

neopokekun

Apr 19, 2019
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - Sky Peak Forest (Nintendo DS)

Sam's Journey - Deep Woods (C64)

Within a Deep Forest (PC)

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave

razz2.001.gif

Real answer has to be Shenmue II, specifically the uncompressed versions from Shemue Online

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Excellent choices. Thank you everyone. Here's my pick - and it's from another Saturn classic - Shining the Holy Ark. Man this whole soundtrack is Motoi Sakauraba at his best - brilliant game to boot.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Starbound comes to mind, which has a really underappriciated OST in general:

Oct 27, 2017
So many good ones! I love forest settings in games - probably because I grew up in the forest but ever since college life has taken me to different biomes.

This has always been one of my favorites, Mysterious People from Suikoden 3. Such a solemn setting and a pretty heavy section of the story too.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
No one posting Ori and the blind forest makes me sad:

I know, right? Massively underrated soundtrack. I listen to it all the time and it's still of the reasons I launch the game from time to time just to listen to the music and absorb the great backgrounds and visuals (especially the moon grotto).