• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Parentera, when did you let your Chidren watch the first real movie? And which one was it?
I think my son is probably close to being ready for his first feature. So far he has been watching peppa pig and stuff like that but he doesn't get bored of watching stuff, if I would let him, he would watch all day I'm sure, so concentration is not an issue. I was thinking maybe something like frozen or tangled

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I tried watching Mulan with my niece when she was 4 years old at the time. She enjoyed it but got scared at times as well, so not sure it was the best age.
I'd say, My Neighbour Totoro would always be a good choice though? Never had any problems with that one!

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
I think frozen is kind of scary with the big ice monster.
One kiddo is 5 and didn't watch a movie yet.
Only Mickey Mouse and Paw Patrol.

I also think 90min are too long for kids.

OP
OP
Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I tried watching Mulan with my niece when she was 4 years old at the time. She enjoyed it but got scared at times as well, so not sure it was the best age.
I'd say, My Neighbour Totoro would always be a good choice though? Never had any problems with that one!
yeah it's kinda hard to anticipate what might be scary, I remember Mulan had the Neon Crab which I think might be a little much for smaller children. I actually never saw my neighbour Totoro though.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
How old is your son?

The Peanuts Movie worked pretty well for us in terms of watching it all the way through.

We also did the Frozen thing, but I'm starting to regret that because he's a bit scared of Elsa now. It's a pretty dark movie for a young child.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My Neighbor Totoro

1*SP6dG5qqOB7_kVUPs2RN9A.jpeg

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
My toddler loves My Neighbor Totoro and the various Winnie the Pooh films (Heffalump movie was her first favourite)

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Except... stuff like Soul, Inside Out, Coco, Up, Wall-E... You know, the ones dealing with death, depression or have other scary themes and imagery. I wouldn't even chose stuff like Toy Story that early. There are other animated movies wich are way more suitable for a kid watching their very first feature film after Pepper Woods than most Pixar stuff.

OP
OP
Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
How old is your son?

The Peanuts Movie worked pretty well for us in terms of watching it all the way through.

We also did the Frozen thing, but I'm starting to regret that because he's a bit scared of Elsa now. It's a pretty dark movie for a young child.

yeah, I remember frozen being a bit dark at times. he's 3,5y/o but quite "mature" for his age. Some of his friends have watched movies already and told him, so he is curious to watch one himself

Oct 27, 2017
My son's first theater movie was Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. He kept asking to leave the whole time. He doesn't really like movies at all and has only actually sat through a handful. Kids raised on YouTube are a different breed.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
My daughter is 4 and she started watching movies last year.
I can't remember which was the very first one unfortunately. Probably a Disney classic like The Little Mermaid. Maybe Alice, Snow White or Peter Pan (it can be scary but obviously we stayed with her the whole time to see how she reacted/explained her if necessary). All in all it went fine, I don't remember any problem whatsoever.

I know we watched Kiki and Totoro shortly after and she loved both. Same for Toy Story, she's a huge fan now.

Then the Nightmare Before Christmas and it's become her favorite movie by far (she's always loved monsters and Halloween etc).

First live action movie was probably Mary Poppins, and first "actual" live action movie (no Disney/musical) was Home Alone the following Christmas.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah, I think Pixar movies deserve waiting a bit more to be watched. Around 7/8 years old, maybe?

Paddington are good movies too, I know my niece and nephew really love it.
Ghibli movies, but only certain ones like Totoro which I mentioned earlier, and Ponyo/Kiki maybe? Others might need waiting a bit more, same as Pixar movies.
Disney movies, but only certain ones as well. And also, I'd personally talk about them afterwards, cause a lot of them aged pretty badly and display harmful stereotypes tbh (there's no age to start instill some healthy media-criticism habit into a child)!

Overall, it also depends on the child as well, what stage they're at in their growth, their personality, and how much you accompany them and talk to them about what they're seeing, and explain things out to defuse potential bad experiences.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
yeah, I remember frozen being a bit dark at times. he's 3,5y/o but quite "mature" for his age. Some of his friends have watched movies already and told him, so he is curious to watch one himself
Eh put one on and see how long he can hold his attention. I mean everyone has a memory of being scared of a movie as a child but are fine today anyway. No need to be overcatious with Disney imo.

OP
OP
Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think Pixar movies deserve waiting a bit more to be watched. Around 7/8 years old, maybe?

Paddington are good movies too, I know my niece and nephew really love it.
Ghibli movies, but only certain ones like Totoro which I mentioned earlier, and Ponyo/Kiki maybe? Others might need waiting a bit more, same as Pixar movies.
Disney movies, but only certain ones as well. And also, I'd personally talk about them afterwards, cause a lot of them aged pretty badly and display harmful stereotypes tbh (there's no age to start instill some healthy media-criticism habit into a child)!

Overall, it also depends on the child as well, what stage they're at in their growth, their personality, and how much you accompany them and talk to them about what they're seeing, and explain things out to defuse potential bad experiences.
Paddington seems like a great choice, that might be it! Yeah I haven't let him watch anything yet by himself, kinda feels iffy to me to "park" him in front of the TV. this is definitely going to be a shared experience. Really looking forward to it :) Gonna make some popcorn and try to create a bit of a movie theater atmosphere in the living room.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Salo

Sorry, seems to be a meme on this forum at the minute.

I'd say Finding Nemo, really fun film with some scary bits that are exciting for kids. Might be a bit much for some though

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
My 2 year old watches one movie to death then moves on. He especially likes Moana, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Sevice, The Cat Returns, any Wallace and Gromit, Despicable Me and currently it's The Aristocats. He moves into the hallway of something scary comes on.
Also any Julia Donaldson animated adaptation like Room on the Broom and Highway Rat but they're only half an hour.