• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best trilogy out there

• The King killer Chronicle (Patrick Rothfuss)

Votes: 21 6.7%
  • Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson)

Votes: 26 8.3%
  • The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson)

Votes: 63 20.2%
  • The First Law (Joe Abercrombie)

Votes: 65 20.8%
  • The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy (Robin Hobb)

Votes: 35 11.2%
  • Other

Votes: 102 32.7%

• Total voters

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
So, I wanna dive into fantasy genre and I was trying to figure out what to read. I decided that I want to start with trilogy, you know, good things come in threes. Since there is huge amount of fantasy trilogies out there I also decied to limit it to books that have been released between 2000-2020. I don't really have any other criteria. I just want to get into the genre.

I have read some reviews from most popular trilogies but I would still like to hear what Era says.

*I know King Killer isn't finished yet and some of these trilogies already have additional books but seems like they are still defined as trilogies.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
I love everything Brandon Sanderson but Stormlight is probably his best. I believe the fourth novel is coming out near the end of the year.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Well...it's definitely not from 2000-2020 but why not start with The Lords of the Rings and see what the fuzz is about?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
pqgHEYz.png

Heh.

Anyway, these are all fairly different from each other. Any idea what sort of a story you're looking for?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stormlight isn't really a trilogy, more like two pentalogies for a planned total of ten, but I voted for it anyway!

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Mistborn for me, but stormlight is a runner-up though book 3 was a bit of a drag.

Never liked Fitz/Fool books but enjoyed the liveship books.

And if we count Stormlight as a triology I would put the Midkemia cycle on it too ;)
First 4 books were a blast to read back in the day and Jimmy the Hand is just a lovable character and seeing him grow in the future books is cool too.
Also enjoed the Tsurani books.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I gave up on the Kingkiller "trilogy". I legit don't believe the final book will ever come out, and on the off chance it does, there's no way Rothfuss will manage to cram all the remaining plot threads into one book.

So, Abercrombie, no contest.
Edit: if you're looking to get into some quality fantasy, Abercrombie is the best on the market at the moment, plus his trilogy continues in 3 standalone books, which are fantastic, one short stories book, and a new trilogy, the first volume of which came out a few months ago.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really count as it's a single volume and the trilogy aspect was only forced upon Tolkien by his publisher during the initial publication period.

Not when I first read it!

Anyway, if the trilogy aspect is that important then so I guess yeah, pick something else. Still a cornerstone OP might want to check if they want to explore the genre.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
stormlight definitely isn't meant to be a trilogy don't know where you got that idea from

and isn't fitz and the fool a sequel to another trilogy?

anyways guess i'll vote for first law here,it's pretty good and while there's other stuff in the universe afterwards it's both first and pretty self contained

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I love the Stormlight Archive by Sanderson, but it ain't a trilogy, there's gonna be 10 books in total and he'll split them in 5s. So it's The First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Criminally underrated. He does characters the best out of all the fantasy writers. The standalones and A Little Hatred (1st book of the second trilogy) are also EXCELLENT.

Oct 25, 2017
Stormlight won't be finished until 2040 at the very earliest. Unless you really want a series that you've spent a large portion of your life following, you're better off tackling the others first.

Abercrombie is the best of those listed.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I love the Stormlight Archive by Sanderson, but it ain't a trilogy, there's gonna be 10 books in total and he'll split them in 5s. So it's The First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Criminally underrated. He does characters the best out of all the fantasy writers. The standalones and A Little Hatred (1st book of the second trilogy) are also EXCELLENT.

Abercrombie studied psychology IIRC, it shows.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Abercrombie studied psychology IIRC, it shows.

Yeah definitely. He also plays a lot of video games, and was a freelance film editor and you can really tell. I still remember an insane scene in The Heroes where
the "camera" moves from one character to the other on the battlefield from one person to the one who ends up killing them, on and on. All of them are so relatable and believable, even though we spend just a couple of pages with each, it's amazing. That whole scene is so well done, I can picture it in my head.

marches

Dec 18, 2018
As a trilogy, it's hard to find something as good and complete as Abercombie's The First Law.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
nah, Only fantasy I have read is Lord of the Rings and some Warhammer lore from rule books. So I'm pretty much open for everything.

You might also want to look into Acts of Caine tetralogy by Matthew W Stover. It's not exactly fantasy, more like a weird fantasy/sci-fi/dystopic philosophy thing, but it's very readable and worth checking out.

Nil'giccas

Oct 27, 2017
Abercrombie definitely stands out from the ones on the list. I cannot stand Sanderson's writing personally.

I voted other though with R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy in mind. It is definitely not for everyone, but still it deserves much more praise and exposure than it usually gets.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on the Kingkiller "trilogy". I legit don't believe the final book will ever come out, and on the off chance it does, there's no way Rothfuss will manage to cram all the remaining plot threads into one book.

Edit: if you're looking to get into some quality fantasy, Abercrombie is the best on the market at the moment, plus his trilogy continues in 3 standalone books, which are fantastic, one short stories book, and a new trilogy, the first volume of which came out a few months ago.

Basically this.
Rothfuss is probably far from done or pulling a George Martin, so from the list Abercrombie is the best thing.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Having tried a whole lot of them, I think The First Law is my favorite. Great characters.

Consider checking out Riyria Revelations. It's a series of six ~300 page books but bundled together as a trilogy of 600+ page books. Some really cool twists and plot in that series if you're more interested in something like that. They were all written at once and didn't release until they were all completed.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Robin Hobb has written 4 trilogies and a quadrilogy in that world, but they are amazing. Haven't quite finished them yet as I have been deliberately trying to make them last.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's the Elderlings for me all the way. Though I really dislike these comparisons, because I feel like they're so different from each other.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
nah, Only fantasy I have read is Lord of the Rings and some Warhammer lore from rule books. So I'm pretty much open for everything.

Well, I've only actually finished The First Law trilogy out of the ones listed, so take my post with a grain of salt.

The First Law is a dark/low fantasy (i.e. magic and fantastical elements are fairly sparse) trilogy about a bunch of more or less terrible people trying to live in a terrible world. It's got three main PoV characters, all with extremely distinct voices and perspectives, and plenty of dark humor. It's not really something you read for the plot, it's something you read for the characters.

Mistborn is more of a YA fantasy trilogy. It's fairly heavy on the plot and, if I recall, relies fairly heavily on shocking plot twists and action set pieces if that's more of your thing. It also has a very strictly defined magic system (magic users consume metal shards to get powers, and different metals have different effects) if you're into that sort of stuff. No real grand wizards with vague, mysterious powers and such to be found here.

The Stormlight Archives feels like Mistborn but grown up and epic in size, or that's what I gleaned from the first half of the first book, anyway. Like Mistborn, but with more different magic systems, more characters, more places, more and bigger everything. I don't really love Sanderson's writing either and it only really works with shorter, snappier books (like Mistborn and Skyward) for me, so I never got that far with these. But if you get into the characters and the world, it seems like there's plenty of exciting stories to uncover here, with some supposedly mind-blowing revelations and twists and events. These and Mistborn (and many other fantasy books from Sanderson) share a universe.

Robin Hobb has her fans and I'm sure they'll be better equipped to sell you on her books. I read the first one years ago and thought it was pretty good, but that's it. As far as I can tell, they also lean much heavier towards low fantasy, character-centric stories like The First Law.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight stuff is simply amazing. Kate Reading and Michael Kramer narrate the books so well I honestly cant go back to reading it myself. I'm going to go crazy waiting for book 4 on audible. So close yet so far away.

I know absolutely nothing about books and am fairly new to actually reading (audible mostly) them. I'm more of a Manga, Comics kind of guy. I'm getting excited about Joe Abercrombie beating Sanderson in the polls. I will check out "The Blade Itself" After I finish "the Return of the King".

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like First Law trilogy is way to go for me. I admit that I'm bit surprised how few have recommended King Killer considering how popular it was back in the day when it was released. Even I heard about it even tho I'm not into the genre at all.

...But Stormlight is also still on the table since just the scope of it really makes me want to read it.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Seems like First Law trilogy is way to go for me. I admit that I'm bit surprised how few have recommended King Killer considering how popular it was back in the day when it was released. Even I heard about it even tho I'm not into the genre at all.

...But Stormlight is also still on the table since just the scope of it really makes me want to read it.

It's been 9 years since Kingkiller book 2 came out, and book 3 still isn't realistically close to being released.
Also, after the strong first book, book 2 sort of fell off a cliff, being in large part a juvenile sexual fantasy with some horrible handling of its female characters.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty interesting to hear about The First Law trilogy. Currently reading through ASOIAF for the first time (they are amazing) and was kind of thinking where to go next from there. However, I wouldn't like another huge commitment like with Martin's books. Is the plot fully wrapped up at the end of the third book or does it sort of carry on in the individual novels and the new series? Thanks!

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017

No one is recommending KingKiller because we are a kind bunch and don't want to inflict the eternal wait for a conclusion on any more victims.

Of your list I would say The First Law.
However, my real recommendation is this: why settle for a mere trilogy when you can have a decalogy - The Malazan Book of the Fallen. It'll take over your life but it's worth it

marches

Dec 18, 2018
The Kingkiller Chronicles took a dive in book 2. I was a real fan of the first book. But the long wait, when we we're told that the trilogy was already written, together with the somewhat lurid second book, makes it hard to recommend the trilogy itself.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty interesting to hear about The First Law trilogy. Currently reading through ASOIAF for the first time (they are amazing) and was kind of thinking where to go next from there. However, I wouldn't like another huge commitment like with Martin's books. Is the plot fully wrapped up at the end of the third book or does it sort of carry on in the individual novels and the new series? Thanks!

The individual novels and new series follow either new characters or peripheral characters with no PoV in the trilogy. It's fulfilling to just read the trilogy.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Kingkiller is not a trilogy at this point, and while I've remained cautiously optimistic about both Martin and Lynch completing their series (or in Martin's case at least Winds), even I don't really believe we'll ever get a next Rothfuss instalment. The first book was very enjoyable, though perhaps a tad overhyped. Good prose, interesting setting, some character and pacing issues but overall good. The 2nd book had serious issues, though. I'm not saying don't read them, but I would not say they're essential or anything.

I have not yet read Mistborn or Fitz, so I can't really comment on those.

I did complete Stormlight Archives (the 3 that have been published, at least - though more are planned, so not exactly a trilogy either!). Many people recommend starting with Mistborn, I didn't have any problems with continuity/ understanding Sanderson's universe. There were some things that hinted at things probably described in his other books (mistborn?) later on (mostly in Oathbringer), but I think starting with Stormlight is very much fine. It's considered his best/ most mature work, I believe.
They were very easy, quick and enjoyable reads for me, which is quite impressive when you look at the page count. I don't think they're great, however. They sometimes get a bit too YA for me, and the characters nor prose are comparable to the best in the genre. Definitely worth reading if you have the time, however.

Out of those I've read, I would pick The First Law. What is there to say? They're really good books. I'll still offer some criticisms, since that's what I've done for the others. I wouldn't usually compare a series with what I consider the Gold Standard, but it seems fair here, as Abercrombie obviously was very much inspired by ASOIAF (and yes, I still consider that the gold standard - go away tv show!). The First Law, in my opinion, is "lighter". That may seem a strange things to say about a trilogy featuring torture and horror as main components, but that is how it felt like to me. Not due to the subject matter, but because of the writing. ASOIAF is quite somber, but it's very clear that - while putting them through some horrible situations - Martin still wants you to root for his characters. Abercrombie on the other hands espouses a very nihilistic view in his books. This, while providing for very entertaining characters and books, makes me care somewhat less for them. I love reading about them, but I do not think Abercrombie would be able to practically break my heart the way Martin did. If I can add another slight criticism to this... At some points his characters come close to being caricatures/ slightly cartoonish. Jezal's vanity, Ferro's anger (which seems to be her whole character), those 2 rival Union generals, the prince whose name I forgot... To end on a positive note (and I do truly believe this is a great series), Abercrombie is still improving. I believe the standalones are actually better than the trilogy, and am looking forward to reading A Little Hatred.

I don't think there's necessarily a wrong choice, though.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Glen Cook's black company series got a rerelease that fit it into 3 books, so look at that if you want a different style than most other authors.

Brent Weeks' night angel trilogy is pretty easy reading with an interesting world.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
No one is recommending KingKiller because we are a kind bunch and don't want to inflict the eternal wait for a conclusion on any more victims.

Of your list I would say The First Law.
However, my real recommendation is this: why settle for a mere trilogy when you can have a decalogy - The Malazan Book of the Fallen. It'll take over your life but it's worth it
I have no idea if I will ever get into fantasy at all. I have lot of prejudices against the whole genre, that's why I have avoided it all together. So I'll start with trilogy, I do have some other series like Wheel of time on my watch list but I figured I'll start with something modern at first.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for just a trilogy and one that is finished I'd go with Mistborn or First Law, but I think Stormlight has the most potential and best writing overall.

Depends really on what you're looking for.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yeah can Kingkiller even be considered a trilogy if the 3rd book is eternally in limbo.

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea if I will ever get into fantasy at all. I have lot of prejudices against the whole genre, that's why I have avoided it all together. So I'll start with trilogy, I do have some other series like Wheel of time on my watch list but I figured I'll start with something modern at first.

If you haven't read much fantasy, don't rush into Wheel of Time. It's very good but insanely long and quite a commitment, with a few bits that drag heavily in the middle.

I'll echo the First Law trilogy. It's low-fantasy for the most part and is carried by masterful character work. There are more books after the trilogy if you want more, but it's self-contained and finishes well.

The First Law is fairly bleak and feels like it's written by someone who thought GRR Martin was too much of an optimist, so maybe read The Stormlight Archives afterwards. They have very different philosophies and Stormlight is more uplifting and positive, although it's not really a trilogy and far from finished. Sanderson is a writing machine though.

Tangentially related, I've recently started reading "Magician", the first book in the Riftwar Saga. If I understand it right the series is mostly divided into a bunch of trilogies becoming part of a bigger narrative. I don't know how the rest of the books hold up but I've been enjoying and you might like to look into it if you're after more fantasy later on.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Kingkiller Chronicles is definitely a no-go. The first book is great, but the second book is suspect and the third book could actually really never happen at this point.

I recently read Mistborn and while a lot of stuff in that series is good (the magic system, overall plot), they are also incredibly bloated books. The books, especially the second one, labour over the same points over and over. It feels like a padded RPG if you want a game comparison. The prose is also very dry. This is some of the first work of Sanderson though, and he does get better even when you compare book 3 to 1.

It's not on your list, but I recommend you check out the original Red Rising trilogy. It's fantasy mixed with sci-fi. The books are real page-turners that build up a believable world. The plot is kind of stupid, but in a fun way. Highly enjoyable and also not very long reads.

I think His Dark Materials are also worth a look. Slightly YA oriented like Mistborn, but way better imo. It's a classic trilogy.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
ASOIAF is quite somber, but it's very clear that - while putting them through some horrible situations - Martin still wants you to root for his characters. Abercrombie on the other hands espouses a very nihilistic view in his books. This, while providing for very entertaining characters and books, makes me care somewhat less for them. I love reading about them, but I do not think Abercrombie would be able to practically break my heart the way Martin did.

Yeah, this is definitely worth mentioning. The First Law can be really fucking bleak. Same goes for Hobbs' books, apparently.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like First Law wouldn't be a great first foray into fantasy. The grimdark and dour characters could be appealing, but I feel the way the story approaches the trilogy overall and the fantasy style tropes overall wouldn't really land without having some understanding of the tropes in general. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like the endings of those books and the connecting tissue just wouldn't be viewed as well for a first bout of fantasy.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It is wrapped up satisfyingly, but the standalone books and the new trilogy expand upon the fate of many characters from the original trilogy and the subsequent goings-on in the setting.
In short, you won't feel like you _need_ another book by the end of the First Law trilogy, but you will enjoy reading the following books.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

as others have mentioned the ridiculous wait pretty effectively kills any sense of hype with kingkiller,9 years between books with no release date in sight and if you look at blogs and such(not that I have in the last year or two so maybe this has changed) there's even less of a sense with Rothfuss that it's even being worked on at all than there is with other authors that take ages to release books

as for stormlight if you want to read them by all means go ahead it's a pretty good series just know what you're getting into,it's definitely not a trilogy and that scope means you'll be waiting several more decades for the series to finish even if Sanderson continues to write them at a decent pace

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I would even argue that to fully understand what's going on in Stormlight, it's recommended to read the other books in the Cosmere. While they can definitely be read standalone, I feel like you would miss a lot of what makes some of the secondary characters amazing.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I havent read many "modern" fantasy books but my favorites from 2000-2020 are The Bartimaeus Trilogy and The Magicians Trilogy.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Stormlight is already great and most likely will finish strong but it's not nearly close to completion, so it really doesn't count. I've been reading GOT since the mid-90s so I know what it is like to wait for books.

So without Stormlight, it's First Law.

King Killer doesn't even deserve a place in that list.