• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
You will only benefit from up to 1250MB/s read M.2 NVMe so no point in spending mone on a half decent NVMe which won't work internally anyway.

I will just keep on using my PS4 Pro 1TB SATA Samsung QVO SSD which only has like 500MB/s at best in read.
If there comes any good deals for a 1250MB/s 2TB NVMe I might get that but I am awaiting any convincing comparison videos (SATA VS NVMe) before investing in NVMe only for PS4 BC. I would have to get a NVME external case too which gets hot easily and costs more than SATA USB 3.0 cases I have lots of.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing.

Hmm, I'm surprised it didn't since it would be in an enclosure. Maybe it's that particular enclosure and you could exchange for another brand?

It's possible. But at this point I decided not to leave it to luck and go for safe options. Now I know that at least the WD and the T7 work fine. I found the T7 to be on sale on Amazon so I went for that one.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I still recommend people hold off on buying external storage until Sony have fixed the PS5 USB issues. Once they do that we should start to have a better handle on what works, and where performance actually tops out.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Debating between the T5 And T7. Not a huge price difference on Amazon ($30). Has anyone with the T7 noticed it running very hot? Only thing I'm worried about after seeing some reviews. If many here haven't encountered any issues with the T7, I'll probably go that route.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using a Samsung 860 evo SSD inside a Ugreen enclosure
No problems thus far

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You will only benefit from up to 1000Mb/s read M.2 NVMe so no point in spending mone on a half decent NVMe which won't work internally anyway.

I will just keep on using my PS4 Pro 1TB SATA Samsung QVO SSD which only has like 500Mb/s at best in read.
If there comes any good deals for a 1000MB/s 2TB NVMe I might get that but I am awaiting any convincing comparison videos (SATA VS NVMe) before investing in NVMe only for PS4 BC. I would have to get a NVME external case too which gets hot easily and costs more than SATA USB 3.0 cases I have lots of.

Can you explain this alittle bit more? Is it because of USB limitations? PS4Pro/BC limitation?

Eventually the internal storage will be supported, but I might just get one of these regular SSDs that reads at 1000Mb/s for now.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Can you explain this alittle bit more? Is it because of USB limitations? PS4Pro/BC limitation?

Eventually the internal storage will be supported, but I might just get one of these regular SSDs that reads at 1000Mb/s for now.
He's just quoting the ports USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed of 10Gbps which is what PS5 has 3 of.

You'll need an NVME drive to take advantage of those speeds but as has been posted so far, loading is on par with SSD SATA drives which are roughly 5Gbps.

So perhaps only better for transferring files.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
You will only benefit from up to 1000Mb/s read M.2 NVMe so no point in spending mone on a half decent NVMe which won't work internally anyway.

I will just keep on using my PS4 Pro 1TB SATA Samsung QVO SSD which only has like 500Mb/s at best in read.
If there comes any good deals for a 1000MB/s 2TB NVMe I might get that but I am awaiting any convincing comparison videos (SATA VS NVMe) before investing in NVMe only for PS4 BC. I would have to get a NVME external case too which gets hot easily and costs more than SATA USB 3.0 cases I have lots of.
The PS5 has 10Gbps USB ports. That translates to 1250MB/s, rather than 1000MB/s.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The PS5 has 10Gbps USB ports. That translates to 1250MB/s, rather than 1000MB/s.
Ah, really sorry. My bad then.

He's just quoting the ports USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed of 10Gbps which is what PS5 has 3 of.

You'll need an NVME drive to take advantage of those speeds but as has been posted so far, loading is on par with SSD SATA drives which are roughly 5Gbps.

So perhaps only better for transferring files.

Ok, so loading in PS4 games being on par with SATA SSD's is good to know.

Eventually the internal storage will be supported, but I might just get one of these regular SSDs that reads at 1000MB/s for now.
Sorry, don't take my word for it. Look for the cheapest/largest/most reliable NVME SSDs whis has read around 1000-1500MB/s would be good since datatransfer would probably utilize the full speed 10GBps (1250MBps), while PS4 games would be around maximum 5GBps (625MB/s).

Beware that NVMEs gets hot and I would look for the largest aluminium case with good reviews. I have no experience of NVME. Some people add extra heatsinks on top of the case.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry to potentially take the topic back to the basics but I am looking to do one of the following - not sure the best approach.

I never had an external drive on my Pro. I just micro-managed storage. With that, should I get an external drive to copy PS4 content from my Pro
OR
Could I get an external, just plug it straight into my PS5 and then download my PS4 related content from the PS Store library to the drive and from there, move cold store games to the PS5's SSD?

Alright, with that said - what is a good external drive to use for PS4 cold store - sorry, that might have been repeated SEVERAL times here.

Any help is appreciated and my fault for the long-winded post.

Dave1988

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking into getting myself an 8TB 7200 rpm drive for my PS4 collection and future cold storage. I'm currently looking at this HDD: WD Black 8TB. Now seeing as this seems like a crapshoot whether a particular HDD will work with the PS5, can anyone who has this hard drive confirm that it does indeed work with the new console?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Crucial X8 2TB was on sale this morning, so I just bought it.

According to reviews, it seems to be slightly faster than the Samsung T7, and doesn't throttle much when under load/heat.

I'll be testing that out once I format it and download games directly to it on the PS5.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I should have waited a day to get the Crucial X8 to save some $$ over the Samsung T7, good deal!

Anyways the T7 arrived yesterday, plugged it into the PS5, formatted it, and moved all my PS4 games and apps (Spotify? Disney+?) to it, works fine. Great to see all the available internal space in the PS5 for now. What's nice about these small drives is that you can slip them discreetly underneath the PS5 if you're using the stand (vertically or horizontally), keeps a clean setup.

Citizen K

Nov 7, 2017
You guys recommend any particular enclosure for a internal ssd? About to bite the bullet on a 2tb internal Samsung ssd. Something available in U.K. would be ideal.

Oct 25, 2017
Crucial X8 2TB was on sale this morning, so I just bought it.

According to reviews, it seems to be slightly faster than the Samsung T7, and doesn't throttle much when under load/heat.

I'll be testing that out once I format it and download games directly to it on the PS5.

Not to give you a scare, but another user in this thread reported issues with that drive. Apparently it doesn't play nice with PlayStation platforms. It seems it gives the same "the drive was not disconnected properly and needs to be repaired" if you use it with Rest Mode.

If you don't use Rest Mode you should be fine, I think.

I'm getting a message each time I start the console from rest mode with an external SSD attached (Crucial X8 1TB):

"The extended storage device wasn't removed properly the last time you used it"

I had the same problem with it on my PS4 - is it a faulty drive? It works fine other than this issue BTW.

On PS4 I got around it by disabling the USB ports in rest mode, but it seems like a fudge rather than a fix. I should be able to use an external SSD without having to disable USB ports in rest mode right?

So, I just spoke to Crucial support and they told me that this is expected behaviour and it won't work with rest mode on PS5 and PS4.

Can anyone with a Crucial X8 confirm this? Thanks.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Not to give you a scare, but another user in this thread reported issues with that drive. Apparently it doesn't play nice with PlayStation platforms. It seems it gives the same "the drive was not disconnected properly and needs to be repaired" if you use it with Rest Mode.

If you don't use Rest Mode you should be fine, I think.
Yeah, I got my hands on a second 1TB unit and confirmed this. It had the same rest mode compatibility issue.

I was honestly surprised since they boast about it being perfect for PS4 usage, and no reviews I could find mentioned anything. I'm guessing it draws too much power in rest mode or something.

It would be nice if someone else with a Crucial X8 could test it out though, just incase I'm doing something wrong or just happened to be sent two faulty units.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Doubt many are looking at this thread, but wondering go with enclosure or just a SATA to USB adapter for SATA SSD.

I must have gone back & forth in my head like 100 times by now about going with SATA SSD or NVME+Enclosure

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt many are looking at this thread, but wondering go with enclosure or just a SATA to USB adapter for SATA SSD.

I must have gone back & forth in my head like 100 times by now about going with SATA SSD or NVME+Enclosure

Speaking only from my experience. I have a Crucial NVME inside an Asus Strix Arion enclosure and it's causing issues every time I put the console in Rest Mode.

It works fine besides that. I can run games perfectly from it, and load times are super fast. But the Rest Mode issue is super annoying. I either have to disconnect the drive before putting the console on Rest Mode, or turn the console completely off to avoid the repair process.

That's just my personal experience with that brand combo. Not sure if other combinations of drives/enclosures work better.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017

If you do go the NVME and enclosure route then from what research I did you need to check which controller chip the enclosure is using to ensure best compatibility and stability. Even outside of the console space it seems like people have had various compaibility issues with these depending on what device they're connecting them to. I ended up going with a no-name enclosure which uses the ASMedia ASM2362 chipset and so far it's worked perfectly on both PS4 and PS5 (went for that chipset specifically as I had read good reviews about it). If you Google that chipset number you'll find other forums discussing it (and the other chipsets) if you want to know more.

However at the moment I don't think there is any performance benefit to be gained from using an NVME drive, there other limitations or bottlenecks in the PS4 BC which means you don't seem to see any benefit over a traditional SATA SSD when it comes to improving game loading times. That may change through future firmware updates if they refine BC further, in which case having an NVME could be worthwhile as that is potentially another 2* the performance of a SATA SSD, or it may not. Broadly speaking from when I looked the prices between a SATA SSD and a low-end NVME were about the same so I went with NVME in the hope that we might see some of that extra performance at some point.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Speaking only from my experience. I have a Crucial NVME inside an Asus Strix Arion enclosure and it's causing issues every time I put the console in Rest Mode.

It works fine besides that. I can run games perfectly from it, and load times are super fast. But the Rest Mode issue is super annoying. I either have to disconnect the drive before putting the console on Rest Mode, or turn the console completely off to avoid the repair process.

That's just my personal experience with that brand combo. Not sure if other combinations of drives/enclosures work better.
Which Crucial did you use?

If you do go the NVME and enclosure route then from what research I did you need to check which controller chip the enclosure is using to ensure best compatibility and stability. Even outside of the console space it seems like people have had various compaibility issues with these depending on what device they're connecting them to. I ended up going with a no-name enclosure which uses the ASMedia ASM2362 chipset and so far it's worked perfectly on both PS4 and PS5 (went for that chipset specifically as I had read good reviews about it). If you Google that chipset number you'll find other forums discussing it (and the other chipsets) if you want to know more.

However at the moment I don't think there is any performance benefit to be gained from using an NVME drive, there other limitations or bottlenecks in the PS4 BC which means you don't seem to see any benefit over a traditional SATA SSD when it comes to improving game loading times. That may change through future firmware updates if they refine BC further, in which case having an NVME could be worthwhile as that is potentially another 2* the performance of a SATA SSD, or it may not. Broadly speaking from when I looked the prices between a SATA SSD and a low-end NVME were about the same so I went with NVME in the hope that we might see some of that extra performance at some point.
Thanks, did you have any issues with resuming BC games from rest mode while using the NVME?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Debating a T5 or T7. About a $50 diff right now, but not really sure if Sony will even update to take advantage of the faster read/write speed of the T7? Making it a waste?

Oct 25, 2017

Regarding the enclosure you got, does it work fine with Rest Mode on both consoles? I read that it has an auto-sleep feature after 5 minutes of drive inactivity. Does this affect the functionality with the consoles?

Also, any enclosure with the ASM2362 should work fine, right? I saw an UGREEN enclosure that has that chipset.

Which Crucial did you use?

Crucial P2 CT2000P2SSD8, 2TB.

Last edited:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using a 2tb Seagate external hdd and it seems to work fine. I'm tempted to upgrade that to a 1tb external ssd, but I think I'm going to hold off and use that money towards an internal ssd upgrade next year. As time goes on I will play fewer and fewer PS4 games and will want more internal storage for PS5 games.

Is there a considerable loading improvement when using an external ssd vs. Hdd? There seems to be a large difference with Xbox, is that the case with PS5?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, did you have any issues with resuming BC games from rest mode while using the NVME?

Regarding the enclosure you got, does it work fine with Rest Mode on both consoles? I read that it has an auto-sleep feature after 5 minutes of drive inactivity. Does this affect the functionality with the consoles?

I've not had any issues with rest mode so far although I haven't extensively used it yet on PS5. I was using the drive on the PS4 for over a month in rest mode and had no issues but did very occasionally get the "you didn't disconnect the drive properly" error when resuming from rest.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017

Crucial P2 CT2000P2SSD8, 2TB.
Ha thats the one I am aiming for. I already had a P1 in my desktop and its been good so I was thinking what the heck let me just get the P2.

Wonder what the chipset is for that Asus enclosure. Can't seem to find it

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh man, we're getting into chipsets now?
Haha. I bet they cause some issues. Would be good for people to list what their enclosures use.

My SATA enclosure uses the VIA Labs VL716 chipset which is USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Been working just fine with Rest Mode enabled.
This is my preferred SATA to USB chipset after testing 3 different ones on my PC for speeds. Didn't test the other 2 on PS5 of course as I had gotten rid of them by then.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I went with Western Digital external NVMe when it was on sale and so far its been fine with rest mode... but I don't leave games sleeping before putting the box to rest.

Original I was going to roll my own with 2TB NVME and enclosure which works great on XSX, but all the storage issues spooked me.

Amazon had it for $229 at one point. This is the one I use. Storage issues with PS5 are ridiculous though.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Oh man, we're getting into chipsets now?
Haha. I bet they cause some issues. Would be good for people to list what their enclosures use.

My SATA enclosure uses the VIA Labs VL716 chipset which is USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Been working just fine with Rest Mode enabled.
This is my preferred chipset after testing 3 different ones on my PC for speeds.
Haha, I think there has been more successful stories with using a SATA SSD in an enclosure or SATA to USB adapter, but NVMe+enclosures have a different set of working/non-working stories.

darknil

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been checking at seems to be that currently the Samsung T7 is the choice? I see it with a 25% discount on Amazon (US). Do you think it will go lower than that this week?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I mostly put it here bc allot of people where interested in the T7(thats an nvme drive to usb from samsung) or the T5(thats a ssd with a sata connector). This basically confirms that the T7 is basically a waste of money if you can get a t5 that in most cases is 50 dollars/euros cheaper than the t7 for the same capacity.
When I was shopping around for external SSDs on Prime Day, the T7 was cheaper than the T5 in almost every size. Even now, the difference in price on the 1TB was less than $10 so I'd still get the T7 probably (but I love the T5 I use for my photography).

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Just experienced my first crash using ext ssd inside nvme enclosure. Booted up the PS5, when the gold PS logo appeared froze and PS5 switched off. Had to press power button to restart and it did the database rebuild thing. Warned me not to remove extended storage whilst PS5 is on - though I never touched it from the night before all was working fine. Random I guess, after that rebooted and all is fine. Sony needs to patch this.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw lots of good comments about T7, so got one of those, Amazon were doing a deal for a 1TB red one which was about £50 cheaper than the black, so went for that.

Keekon

Mar 30, 2019
Using this in the USB C port;

ASUS ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure-USB3.2 GEN2 Type-C (10 Gbps), Dual USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cables, Screwdriver-Free, Thermal Pads Included, Fits PCIe 2280/2260/2242/2230 M key/B+M Key https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZDRCQPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_YamVFbERN0ERE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And got this on sale for £70:

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1 TB Internal SSD, Up to 2400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_EbmVFbG5JT7EP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good so far, loading feels fast, just make sure the system is fully shut down rather than rest mode

Oct 25, 2017
Using this in the USB C port;

ASUS ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure-USB3.2 GEN2 Type-C (10 Gbps), Dual USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cables, Screwdriver-Free, Thermal Pads Included, Fits PCIe 2280/2260/2242/2230 M key/B+M Key https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZDRCQPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_YamVFbERN0ERE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And got this on sale for £70:

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1 TB Internal SSD, Up to 2400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_EbmVFbG5JT7EP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good so far, loading feels fast, just make sure the system is fully shut down rather than rest mode

Lol, that's the very same combination I'm using, except that I got the 2TB version of the Crucial. And yes, it's super fast.

But yeah, unfortunately this combo doesn't work with Rest Mode and that's a deal breaker for me. I'm replacing it with a T7. Too bad, because I really like how the Asus enclosure looks. :(

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I saw lots of good comments about T7, so got one of those, Amazon were doing a deal for a 1TB red one which was about £50 cheaper than the black, so went for that.
Got the same deal, it has worked great so far. I plugged into the front USB C for now since I know people mentioned issues using external drives on the rear. I formatted it on the PS4 and transferred about 400GB of games, no issues so far using on PS5.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got the same deal, it has worked great so far. I plugged into the front USB C for now since I know people mentioned issues using external drives on the rear. I formatted it on the PS4 and transferred about 400GB of games, no issues so far using on PS5.

Good to know. I just deleted all my games off the PS4 :| decided might as well start from a clean slate, especially as I had over 2.5TB of games on there.... oof.

Not had that many problems with the Ps5 yet, a couple of game crashes, Spiderman remastered I ended up flying around as a cube, and some weird intermittent graphical glitches since the last patch (anyone else had issues?)

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a t7 as they were cheaper than the t5. I find it hard to buy SATA though as it's basically the same price in a lot of cases and you're limiting future options. Maybe you'll want to use the drive for PC backups or extra storage at some point?

also a small part of me wanted to consider ps5 cold storage. If that comes in a future update it should benefit from the basic speed of the drives so could be up to twice as fast with a good SSD

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Get an external NVMe case which supports 10Gbps, USB 3.1 Gen 2 like this one (example)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIDECO-External-Enclosure-Adapter-Transfer-M-2-PCIe-NVME/dp/B07TSBR114/

and something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S1T0BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MBQPQ62/

Of course, your NVMe SSD will be limited in terms of bandwidth etc but this is quite a versatile solution because you can always swap out the SSD and it doesn't take up a lot of space.
I bought a Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD and Sabrent EC-TFNB USB 3.2 enclosure, and it doesn't work on the PS5 (games refuse to load from it, reports as damaged whenever the PS5 starts up, etc.). Works great on the PS4 Pro, not on the PS5 at all though.

So my advice is hold off until Sony straighten their USB shit out a bit.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I bought a Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD and Sabrent EC-TFNB USB 3.2 enclosure, and it doesn't work on the PS5 (games refuse to load from it, reports as damaged whenever the PS5 starts up, etc.). Works great on the PS4 Pro, not on the PS5 at all though.

So my advice is hold off until Sony straighten their USB shit out a bit.

Wow, didn't expect this to be honest. Kinda mind-blowing how unfinished the PS5 feels in many ways. I would expect this to work flawlessly and without effort. If I remember correctly this type of solution worked fine on Series X so I assumed it would work fine on the PS5 as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait then for one or two more firmware updates. Hope they sort this out soon.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
will there be any difference in speed if i use usb c port or usb 3.0 at the back on the ps5 for my Samsung t7 as it supports both.