• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
tumblr_o9jeiqiNrS1qd4q8ao1_400.gifv

tenor.gif

tumblr_nkquwmigxi1sqvybwo1_400.gifv

If there's one thing I dig in racing games, is some sort of cool and satisfying drift mechanic that makes blazing through the tracks fun and more engaging than just pressing R2 and turning with the sticks.

For them to work well and be satisfying, imo, there needs to be some sort of risk-reward system in place that makes it worth to potentially mess up your race for the reward. The games from the GIFs above get this perfectly, having some of the most satisfying drifts in games.

So, to you, which are the games that better achieve this?

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Outrun 2006 feels so good. A damn shame that it's nearly impossible to get now (luckily I got it on steam)

The burnout series also feels so damn fine. Even thou drifting is easy, you can evade things like solid objects and cars.

Oh and DIRT Rally 2.0 feels soooo good but solid drifts are hard to pull of.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I don't like the drifting mechanic in the more arcade racers.

I did find the drifting in the Forza Motorsport games to be satisfying though.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Daytona 2 is great, even better than the original. It's difficult but feels so great, especially on a machine with proper force feedback.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mastery of Crash Team Racings Drift System lets you get some absurd speed, espicially on the Sacred Fire/Blue Flames courses.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I'll vouch for Wreckfest. The game would probably be only remembered for it having impressive damage physics for a mainstream game were it not for the fact that it also has a brilliant driving model. Pulling off drifts always feels so satisfying.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
If we define "best" as "most fun" then probably Mario Kart DS where rapid drift chaining ("snaking") was the entire game at the high end.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I think it feels most satisfying in Sonic & Sega All-Stars/transformed. I really love those games.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outrun 2, Ridge Racer R4 and the PSP game, Sega Rally are all so damn satisfying.

It might be forgotten but Driver 1 and 2 had really satisfying driving. Drifting was risky as hell but so damn satisfying to do. Crashing/bumping into anything would make you lose health so the feeling of driving dangerously was so good.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing drifting was super fun, can drift just about the entire track. Love it.

They needed drifting in the sequels.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Burnout will always be king to me, but I'll give R4 props for a more down to earth (but still arcadey) variation.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I can do drifts in sim racers with a force feedback wheel is with GRID Autosport and it "feels" difficult but not impossible.

Very rewarding. I realize that game is a SimCade racer btw.