• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So I have been thinking of getting into the DragonQuest series and realize the 3Ds has access to a large library of DragonQuest games.

Any recommendations for a newcomer to the series?

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Dragon Quest IV is good. It is a great game and serves as the starting point for the Zenithian trilogy (IV, V, and VI).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
4 is very good
5 is one of the best RPGs ever
6 is good

I would play 4 then 5 for sure, and if you like them, try 6 later.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
They're all pretty expensive these days, pick the one that fits your price range, haha

They're all good and pretty consistent

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Can't go wrong with Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS; it's pretty much the definitive version of the game, and a much-loved entry besides.

If you liked it and want more, Dragon Quest VII is also a very solid entry, but be warned it's a very long game, even for DQ.

The DS versions of IV, V, and VI are all nicely done as well. V is an extremely good one, if you have to pick between them.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Can't go wrong with Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS; it's pretty much the definitive version of the game, and a much-loved entry besides.

If you liked it and want more, Dragon Quest VII is also a very solid entry, but be warned it's a very long game, even for DQ.

The DS versions of IV, V, and VI are all nicely done as well. V is an extremely good one, if you have to pick between them.

This is the most complete reply, you can follow this OP

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
You can start with any of them. I'd most recommend 1, 4, 5, and 11 to start with. 8 Also seems like a fine point but I haven't played it yet.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They are all excellent and the series is really consistent, but I think VIII is probably the most accessible to modern audiences and also the 3DS version is the best version of that game. DQV is my favourite though, and DQIV's intro chapters for the cast are really fun too.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Honestly any of them are good starting points maybe outside of 6, 7 and 9. This might just be personal taste but I feel like 6 is the weakest in terms of characters, designs and world building. And seeing as gameplay wise almost all of them play the same so that would be a huge turn off. DQ7 I would save for later because the game is HUUUUGE. like I believe if you're just doing story stuff it's just barely over 100 hours, but the character writing and such is really good though. 9 is another game to save for a later play after you get a couple other DQ games under ya. Mostly because the game is just full tot he brim of older DQ references and the game gets really hard really early and assumes you have a good understanding of the series when it comes to mechanics and stuff.

Now good mainline games to start with is 3, 4, 5 and 8. Although 3 is the last game of the Erdrick Trilogy (Don't worry you don't have to play them in any order they're all loosely connected and take place hundreds of years from each other), the game is a nice sample of the DQ series and what will come going forward.The best version is the mobile or Switch ones. 4 is like 3, but instead of having to make your own characters, you have actual characters with predetermined job roles and a pretty decent plot. I recommend the mobile version because the game has the party chat system like you would find in a Tales of game. Every other version of this game doesn't have that and the character writing suffers once their chapter ends, In every other version they pretty much become blank slates that don't react to the plot anymore.

I'm extremely bias when it comes to DQ5 because it's my favorite game in the series, but the game sets up everything with a purpose and then the payoff for them are so damn good it's amazing that a lot of video games haven't been able to pull it off as well. Just a real masterpiece of not only the DQ series, but video games in general. Grab either the DS or mobile version of this one. 8 I would say is pretty up there in the series and is just a real joy on it's own. Great characters, nice world building and a pretty good plot. It's the definition of a cozy, get under the blankets with your favorite snacks and vibe JRPG. Although I think the PS2 version is the better version because of the orchestrated OST, the 3DS is a good time too and adds two new party members and a couple extra dungeons. And this is just an addendum but if you have any current gen console or PC Gamepass, 11 is a really good DQ game too and is probably the best one made to date. I say just give each cover of each mainline game a look at and see which one interests you the most.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Get 5 OP. It's an incredible entry and one that will convert you. Since DQ7, games are like 100 hours long and it's better to start with a shorter game

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
VIII is top notch and very beginner friendly and 3ds has the definitive version of the game, so I'd say go for it.
IV is also pretty good as an introduction to the series, though it's pretty much it's own think cause it starts as almost as an anthology with different side stories.
Vii is extremely good, but I wouldn't recommend it as first DQ: the beginning is very slow and the gameplay doesn't open up until 15-20 hours in the game with the (excellent) job system.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's a huge shame that 3DS and DS games are so damn rare and expensive. Like I have a bunch of saved ebay searches for a ton of games and the prices are just never reasonable at all and nobody is willing to budge on prices.

Has anyone here played the DS game, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light? Is that any good?

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quest 5 is the best game in the series. After that, I'd go with either 4 or 7. You can't really go wrong with any of them, though.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
3DS is a good place to start. I'd go with the remakes of 4 or 5 for classic 8/16 bit era goodness or 8 for PS2 era 3D version loveliness.

Please don't start with 7, it's a long game with a very slow start.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
8 is the best Dragon Quest game. So go for that.
Didn't play 4 yet, loved 5, liked 9, dropped 6 (was good, but not as good as 5) and 7 was a torture to get through. 7 is the worst Dragon Quest game I've played, it is very bloated and incredibly poorly paced.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how much I love VII, I couldn't imagine recommending that as the 1st DQ game for another to play. Feels weird seeing people say that.

IMO 8 is the most beginner friendly outside XI (despite of the harder than most games 1st dungeon and boss). So I'd say start there then check out the DS remake trilogy, VII 3DS remake, and if you have access to a switch then XI a no brainier; also the version of III on Switch is fantastic.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'd say play them in order.

Start with DQIV, it has one of the best cast.
DQV is the best JRPG of all time (imo)
DQVI starts to get pretty long and a little less linear compared to the past entries. It also reintroduces a job system, which I think is very good.
DQVII is probably the longest in the series. I've beaten it after around 150 hours and I still didn't 100% it. It has different smaller stories, which makes it feel like you're playing through an anime/manga with different story arcs. This one refines the job system from VI.
DQVIII does away with the job system, but has character specific skill trees which allows you to customise your characters. It has a great story, fun mechanics, and some sidequests which all have stories that fit perfectly with the main one, but still isn't mandatory.
I'd also get DQIX, but that one is very different from the others. You create your own character and it has a focus on multiplayer. If you can't play it with someone else, I still think it's a fun game, but you won't get the most out of it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Also want to throw in that if you have a PS2, I think VIII is cheaper on there.

(They made updates for the 3DS version, but I still prefer the PS2 version. Run it via a PS2 emulator at high resolution if you can.)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
DQVIII will introduce you to the more modern style of DQ game, and the 3DS version is the best version of that imo.
DQV is the best DQ game, and is available on the DS (though the PS2 version is better, but you need to use a fanpatch - so depends on if you have a PC capable of running PCSX2). DS version is still good.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I would say V, basically a precursor to Pokémon or SMT where you recruit monsters to form a party, or VII, an extraordinarily lengthy but oh-so-satisfying series of vignettes. The latter has an especially slow start, but I'll be damned if it doesn't become a capital A Adventure as it goes on.

Oct 27, 2017
Despite how good it is, I wouldn't start with V. It's not a traditional DQ game (or even JRPG), as it's strongly focused on recruiting monsters to your party. If you want to play the Zenithian trilogy, go VI > IV > V. It makes sense narratively and mechanically.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like VII a whole lot, but would not recommend that for a first timer.

VIII would be my recommendation on the 3DS. (I would have recommended XI, but the 3DS version of XI never officially released outside of Japan.)

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
5 or 8 is good starting point. 8 is a great starting place, and is the game that got many into the series. 5 is a great story. I'd recommend playing 4 before 5 as I found it hard to go back to 4 after 5 though now I appreciate them both equally. Any main DQ is a good game.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
I don't care if it sounds like gate-keeping but I would stay away from the DS remakes a I believe they're way uglier and greatly diminish the charm of episodes V & IV (IV is fine since it's essentially a port of the PS1 remake and the NES version is rough anyway), both three games being great entry points imo
DQVIII would be a great starting point as well but as much as I like the QoL improvements of the 3DS version (making it the best console for a second run) it's still an ugly ass looking game—I guess it all comes to your tolerance on chunky 3D models
Don't start with neither DQVII or DQIX

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
7 is great, but felt way too long. If you enjoy long games and have the time for them, then give it a try. If you want a game with a more appropriate length then 8 is the way to go. For what it's worth I liked the story of 7 more than 8.

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
The first DQ game I ever played is DQ7 for the 3DS but the first DQ game I ever completed is DQ8 for the 3DS.
DQ8 is a much beginner friendly DQ game, DQ7 is so much longer and I think Im still at a half way point and already at 30ish hour into it.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
dont start with 7. i Started with 7 and it's a really badly paced game that pretty much killed any interest I had in the series.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V is the best one.
IV is also very good.
VIII is very accessible.
I don't recommend VII to start. It's a fantastic game but also a daunting task.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
DQ4, DQ5, and DQ8 are all great entries for a newcomer for different reasons. DQ8 is easiest to get right now, DQ4 and DQ5 can get really pricey.

DQ6 and DQ7 are great games but not the best for a newcomer. They're better when you've already got some DQ experience under your belt.