• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been in a big DOOM MOOD lately and I was looking to try out some fanmade shit after playing DOOM 2016, DOOM and DOOM 2: hell on earth.

I feel I should probably try SIGIL. I will not be playing DOOM 3 or DOOM 3: BFG Edition because two times once on XBOX and again on PC was enough.

What are some recommendations? I know about the caco-awards or w/e but it's kind of overwhelming as a newcomer.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
thing is wads can be hit or miss on what you really want out of it. there really is no consensus "greatest wad" (that i'm aware of)

what i do is try out the top caco awards games and see where they go. since none of them are storage/gpu intensive it's nbd if you don't care for any of them

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want stuff that is more trying to be like the classic doom games in its map design? something that still plays like doom but pushes beyond the limits of what is possible in the original engine? or an insane TC or gameplay mod that plays nothing like doom any more, or is a very over the top version of it.

I would say look up a guy on youtube named mricarus and just scroll through his videos on doom wads till you find some that catch your interest. He doesnt focus that much on purely level megawads though if thats what you are looking for.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
My favorites:

Pirate DOOM - Very well designed and full of humor. Easily my favorite one, very well balanced levels, doesn't rely on cheap tricks for difficulty.
The Adventures of Square - Some very good map design, although a bit overwhelming some times. Also full of humor and much more colorful and cheerful then most mods.
Unloved - there's a "remake" on Steam but it's not as good as the original WAD, it's good but very hard, specially closer to the end, still worthy
Japanese Community Project - just a very good map pack made by the japanese community (as the name says)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dumb answer:

Serious answer: Sigil is dope, and I'm subscribing to this thread for other suggestions.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want stuff that is more trying to be like the classic doom games in its map design? something that still plays like doom but pushes beyond the limits of what is possible in the original engine? or an insane TC or gameplay mod that plays nothing like doom any more, or is a very over the top version of it.
Something that still plays like Doom but pushes beyond the limits/designs of the old maps. Probably. I like DOOM more than DOOM 2: Hell On Earth for the record.

I have tried Into The Breach before and liked it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, look at the Cacowards. They've been judging the best Doom mods for 25 years now. If you look around there you can find list of top all-time Doom mods.

A couple really good recent map packs that play like classic doom are Struggle: Anteresian Legacy and Eviternity. I think Eviternity won the Cacoward last year, beating out SIGIL. I started Scythe a little while ago too and that's pretty good.

A neat sort-of-lite TC is Doom 4 Vanilla. It takes the visual style of Doom 2016 and adapts it into classic-style Doom. You can use that to play actual old classic Doom but it also comes with its own versions of a couple map packs like Scythe and Baculus.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
Give sunlust for doom 2 a try. Fantastic architecture and levels are gorgeous to check out and see. Don't start on UV unless you are really good though. Start with HMP or lower if you want to just enjoy yourself with no frustrations.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
A neat sort-of-lite TC is Doom 4 Vanilla. It takes the visual style of Doom 2016 and adapts it into classic-style Doom. You can use that to play actual old classic Doom but it also comes with its own versions of a couple map packs like Scythe and Baculus.

This looks awesome LOL. Something really funny about seeing the doom 4 stuff derezzed. I'll check out your other suggestions too
Give sunlust for doom 2 a try. Fantastic architecture and levels are gorgeous to check out and see. Don't start on UV unless you are really good though. Start with HMP or lower if you want to just enjoy yourself with no frustrations.
This also looks really cool.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can second Sunlust. Just finished it on UV. absolutely great and layered map design. Also try some stuff like Swim with the Whales, Stardate 20x7 & 20x6 by the same creator.

Sundered is a good Slaughter type WAD as well.

godlike

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
oh boy there's so many. I could recommend 100s but there's basically 2 places to start - Legacy Wads and Modern Wads.

Legacy wads are the "old school", highly influential ones. rougly from 1993-2007. Hell Revealed 1 & 2. Memento Mori 1 & 2. Scythe 1 & 2. Alien Vendetta. Eternal Doom (not to be confused with the new Doom game). I have great nostalgia for a lot of these but really Hell Revealed 1 & 2 don't really hold up. Memento Mori doesn't really hold up. Out of these I would recommend Scythe 2. Scythe 2 is still incredible and easily holds up to modern day wads. It's 15 years old this year and is still just as incredible. I also have a very soft spot for Alien Vendetta. Highly influential but harder than the classic Dooms and a little bit jankier and not as cleanly designed as Scythe 2.

Modern Wads get even crazier since some try to stay true to the original Doom games. other include new weapons, enemies, etc. It really depends on what you're looking for. You said classic doom stuff. That's typically what I'm most interested but there's other stuff that's worth highlighting as well.

- Eviternity by Dragonfly & friends. This was released last year and it is possibly the best of all time. a brand new texture pack called OTEX. 6 fantastic episodes each with their own theme. (Medieval, Techbase, Tundra, HydroPlant, Hell, Heaven). my GOTY of 2019.
- Ancient Aliens by skillsaw & friends. a fantastic, trippy blue and purple neon trip through the desert. very classic doom. just absolutely beautiful though. if you enjoyed this one definetely check out his previous work with Valiant and Lunatic.
- Back to Saturn X by esselfortium & friends. This is very classic doomish. new textures and tons of great music by essel and James Paddock. not to difficult as well. This one is a lot of fun.
- Counterattack by Mechadon. This is only a 5 level wad unlike most of the others mentioned here. I hold these in high regard. I absolutely adore how they make you loop back around each other in these gigantic sprawling maps. Very metroidvania feel despite being all classic doom gameplay. Mechadon is also working on Supplice which looks fucking beautiful.
- Stronghold is a towerdefense styled doom game with waves of monsters. tons of new monsters, weapons, items, turrets, pickups, etc. Much better with friends but still pretty fun solo.
- Skulldash is basically a timetrial/arcadey version of Doom where youre picking up tokens in order to extend the time. Also made by Dragonfly. tons of fun setting new records and great additions in new enemies, weapons and boss fights.
- Total Chaos is a Silient Hill type game with crafting, voice acting, new enemies, textures. It's not really doom. It's GZdoom but it's incredible either way. bone chilling sound design. I'm pretty immune to most horror things but this definitely got to me
- Wolfendoom. What if there was a Wolfenstein game between Wolf 3D and Return released in 1997-1998? This is basically that. We're still waiting on episode 3 but episodes we've got so far are great. better than the new wolfenstein games imo.

The bolded 4 are my favorites - Scythe 2, Eviternity, Ancient Aliens, and Back to Saturn X. But there is also other stuff to check out. sunlust, lilith, kamasutra, hellbound, hellforged, shrine, good morning phobos, speed of doom, preacher, rekkr, sunder, swift death, winter's fury, struggle, ESP, etc. so so so so so so many to recommend. But I don't want to ramble on too much. (:

The cacoawards are indeed overwhelming but I highly recommend checking out this article about 25 years of doom modding. It covers a lot of the wads I talked about and goes in depth about influences and whatnot.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I agree with most of the suggestions so far. I just went through the last few years of the Cacowards and simply downloaded anything that looked interesting to me.
Eviternity is great.
And while not a wad, I generally play with Beautiful Doom (and new weapons etc turned off) to kinda pretty it up a bit. Doom 4 Vanilla is fun for that too.
Have you gone through Heretic and Hexen yet? I mean, Heretic is basically just a Doom wad and Hexen is one of the coolest games (imho) to come out of that era.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
- Eviternity by Dragonfly & friends. This was released last year and it is possibly the best of all time. a brand new texture pack called OTEX. 6 fantastic episodes each with their own theme. (Medieval, Techbase, Tundra, HydroPlant, Hell, Heaven). my GOTY of 2019.

I second this one, easily one of the best pieces of Doom content I've played.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017

Why do people keep posting this and the Seinfeld one like it's not old news.

oh boy there's so many. I could recommend 100s but there's basically 2 places to start - Legacy Wads and Modern Wads.

Legacy wads are the "old school", highly influential ones. rougly from 1993-2007. Hell Revealed 1 & 2. Memento Mori 1 & 2. Scythe 1 & 2. Alien Vendetta. Eternal Doom (not to be confused with the new Doom game). I have great nostalgia for a lot of these but really Hell Revealed 1 & 2 don't really hold up. Memento Mori doesn't really hold up. Out of these I would recommend Scythe 2. Scythe 2 is still incredible and easily holds up to modern day wads. It's 15 years old this year and is still just as incredible. I also have a very soft spot for Alien Vendetta. Highly influential but harder than the classic Dooms and a little bit jankier and not as cleanly designed as Scythe 2.

Modern Wads get even crazier since some try to stay true to the original Doom games. other include new weapons, enemies, etc. It really depends on what you're looking for. You said classic doom stuff. That's typically what I'm most interested but there's other stuff that's worth highlighting as well.

- Ancient Aliens by skillsaw & friends. a fantastic, trippy blue and purple neon trip through the desert. very classic doom. just absolutely beautiful though. if you enjoyed this one definetely check out his previous work with Valiant and Lunatic.
- Back to Saturn X by esselfortium & friends. This is very classic doomish. new textures and tons of great music by essel and James Paddock. not to difficult as well. This one is a lot of fun.
- Counterattack by Mechadon. This is only a 5 level wad unlike most of the others mentioned here. I hold these in high regard. I absolutely adore how they make you loop back around each other in these gigantic sprawling maps. Very metroidvania feel despite being all classic doom gameplay. Mechadon is also working on Supplice which looks fucking beautiful.
- Stronghold is a towerdefense styled doom game with waves of monsters. tons of new monsters, weapons, items, turrets, pickups, etc. Much better with friends but still pretty fun solo.
- Skulldash is basically a timetrial/arcadey version of Doom where youre picking up tokens in order to extend the time. Also made by Dragonfly. tons of fun setting new records and great additions in new enemies, weapons and boss fights.
- Total Chaos is a Silient Hill type game with crafting, voice acting, new enemies, textures. It's not really doom. It's GZdoom but it's incredible either way. bone chilling sound design. I'm pretty immune to most horror things but this definitely got to me
- Wolfendoom. What if there was a Wolfenstein game between Wolf 3D and Return released in 1997-1998? This is basically that. We're still waiting on episode 3 but episodes we've got so far are great. better than the new wolfenstein games imo.

The bolded 4 are my favorites - Scythe 2, Eviternity, Ancient Aliens, and Back to Saturn X. But there is also other stuff to check out. sunlust, lilith, kamasutra, hellbound, hellforged, shrine, good morning phobos, speed of doom, preacher, rekkr, sunder, swift death, winter's fury, struggle, ESP, etc. so so so so so so many to recommend. But I don't want to ramble on too much. (:

The cacoawards are indeed overwhelming but I highly recommend checking out this article about 25 years of doom modding. It covers a lot of the wads I talked about and goes in depth about influences and whatnot.

Godlike post. Eviternity looks like exactly what I want- and it's new too so I haven't already played it like Back To Saturn X- which I might just replay anyway,

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
Evilternity is actually beast. I've played the first 3 maps so far and map 2 and 3 kinda blew my mind with how brilliant they are. So I can't even imagine what the rest is like.

I love the creative enemy placement, the way the maps unfold from being relatively small areas to larger then larger still and kiap around themselves. map3 was kinda really cool with how non linear it was.

I love the sprite work as well. The desaturation and the cool night skybox really give it a fresh look... well and make it kind of look like quake but not ina bad way

Thanks to everyone who answered earnestly i have a big ass list now.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
If you prefer the original doom to doom 2, you'll get a kick out of switcheroom. Each ultimate doom episode was recreated in an another episode's style, with loads of differences, not just a texture swap. It ends up making you feel like you're playing something new and familiar at the same time cause you expect the next turn to have this certain room, but then it doesn't. Its difficulty is also pretty close to the original.
I believe there's also a WAD for doom 2 in the same vein.

Last edited:

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Definitely check out Ancient Aliens. I was honestly blown away by the creative enemy placement.
If I remember correctly the very first map has you dodging projectiles by a caged Cyberdemon the whole time.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Evilternity is actually beast. I've played the first 3 maps so far and map 2 and 3 kinda blew my mind with how brilliant they are. So I can't even imagine what the rest is like.

I love the creative enemy placement, the way the maps unfold from being relatively small areas to larger then larger still and kiap around themselves. map3 was kinda really cool with how non linear it was.

I love the sprite work as well. The desaturation and the cool night skybox really give it a fresh look... well and make it kind of look like quake but not ina bad way

Thanks to everyone who answered earnestly i have a big ass list now.

glad your enjoying Eviternity. It only gets better from there. I'm a big fan of episodes 3 & 4. interested to hear the rest of your thoughts on it. Dragonfly, the project lead of Evitnernity, also made Skulldash which I recommend above.