• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
It's been 12 years since I played Crysis on my GTX 8800GTX, Core 2 Duo Extreme w/ 2GB DDR2 @ 1680x1050 (~12-25fps).

What are the best graphic mods? Mods for this game seem everywhere and unorganized. I was hoping to combine ReShade with some mods.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just grab the AF/Global lighting fix and that is really all you need. There is a texture mod which improves the texture of vegetation only which is also OK, but not necessary as it changes some art colours.

The best thing you should do is play with the ini. Create a shortcut to the 64 bit exe which you need to use (it increases CPU performance on modern CPUs) and add -devmode to its shortcut target.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64\Crysis.exe" -devmode
Create an autoexec.cfg in your Crysis folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis
Copy paste this into that autoexec.cfg
con_restricted 0
e_shadows_max_texture_size 2048
e_particles_receive_shadows 1
g_useHitSoundFeedback 0
g_skipintro 1
i_lighteffects 1
i_lighteffectshadows 3
r_TexturesStreaming 0
r_useedgeaa 2
r_UsePOM=1
r_MotionBlur=5
r_sunshafts=1
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_Renderer=3
r_colorgrading=1
r_displayinfo 0

This should give you stuff like much more stable shadows, shadows affecting particles, better anti-aliasing on trees and vegetation and all light sources in the game creating shadows as well.

edit: The HD texture mod from 2018 seems pretty great actually for maintaining the original colour pallete while increasing texture resolution!

Last edited:

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
You can try these (I believe the links still work)

www.dsogaming.com

Crysis HD Textures 2018 features 2.1GB of textures from CryEngine 3.5.8 and Crysis 3 The Lost Island

Modder ‘condros’ has released a brand new Texture Pack for the original Crysis game. This Texture Pack features 2.1GB of textures that were ripped from both CryEngine 3.5.8 and Crysis 3 The Lost Island multiplayer DLC. As the modder noted, this Texture Pack works with any custom TOD (eg Mster...
www.dsogaming.com

Crysis is now 10 years old and here are the best graphics mods you can install for it

Ah, Crysis. One of the most unique PC FPS experiences back in 2007. Crytek’s masterpiece was way ahead of its time visually, and came with some truly great gameplay mechanics. Its level design, its enemy AI, its nanosuit abilities; everything felt great. And since today it’s its 10th...

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Just grab the AF/Global lighting fix and that is really all you need. There is a texture mod which improves the texture of vegetation only which is also OK, but not necessary as it changes some art colours.

The best thing you should do is play with the ini. Create a shortcut to the 64 bit exe which you need to use (it increases CPU performance on modern CPUs) and add -devmode to its shortcut target.

This should give you stuff like much more stable shadows, shadows affecting particles, better anti-aliasing on trees and vegetation and all light sources in the game creating shadows as well.

edit: The HD texture mod from 2018 seems pretty great actually for maintaining the original colour pallete while increasing texture resolution!

The god has spoken.

I might try this later.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Fix the FOV by adding cl_fov=74 to the config file. It defaults to 60° vertical, which is equivalent to only 75° in most games. 74° vertical is equivalent to 90°.
Depth of field can be disabled with r_depthoffield=0
Just grab the AF/Global lighting fix and that is really all you need.
I agree, but don't forget to set anisotropic filtering to 16x in the driver profile for the game too, since Crysis disables AF when POM is enabled.

OP
OP
Painguy

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California

Thank you Dictator and everyone else. Got it running with the 2018 texture mod, and the settings you all mentioned.

I had some trouble running it on Windows 10 though. Had to run it through compatibility mode to launch the 64bit version.

Tried to get the latest reshade working but it would only run with the 32bit binary so i ended up not using reshade.

I also encountered a weird issue when using my bluetooth xbox one controller. Driving a car or boat in the water while in the driver seat took the game from around 90fps to 9fps lol (CPU usage dropped to 4%). I think it's an issue the compatibility mode and the xbox controller driver and something with the rumble effect when in water. Can't verify though since game doesn't run without compatibility mode. Oh welll. Just gotta not drive in water for now.

Crysis-DX10-Feb-27-2008-17-28-02-2-29-2020-9-33-12-PM.png

-crysisdx10-feb27200808k60.png

No AA screenie for y'alls seeing balls. The texture pack is really nice. Rocks don't look like mush anymore.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you Dictator and everyone else. Got it running with the 2018 texture mod, and the settings you all mentioned.

I had some trouble running it on Windows 10 though. Had to run it through compatibility mode to launch the 64bit version.

Tried to get the latest reshade working but it would only run with the 32bit binary so i ended up not using reshade.

I also encountered a weird issue when using my bluetooth xbox one controller. Driving a car or boat in the water while in the driver seat took the game from around 90fps to 9fps lol (CPU usage dropped to 4%). I think it's an issue the compatibility mode and the xbox controller driver and something with the rumble effect when in water. Can't verify though since game doesn't run without compatibility mode. Oh welll. Just gotta not drive in water for now.

No AA screenie for y'alls seeing balls. The texture pack is really nice. Rocks don't look like mush anymore.
this is a good looking video game

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

I'm feeling inspired to reinstall. I just don't remember which digital store I purchased from 👀

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That shouldn't be necessary - at least not for the 64-bit version.
The 32-bit version doesn't run on systems with more than 7 available cores, so you have to start it with the affinity manually set to ≤7 cores or it will crash on newer CPUs.

I'm feeling inspired to reinstall. I just don't remember which digital store I purchased from 👀
It doesn't cover every store, but I've found GOG Galaxy 2.0 to be helpful in situations like that.
www.gogalaxy.com

GOG GALAXY 2.0 - All your games and friends in one place.

Connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other gaming platforms and bring together games you play and the friends you play them with in one powerful app. With GOG GALAXY 2.0 you won't have to juggle between multiple clients to access your games and see what your friends are playing. Join the Open Beta and...
For anyone that doesn't have Crysis already, it's best to buy the game on GOG as it's DRM-free there.
It looks like the 64-bit version may be DRM-free on Origin now too, after checking the PC Gaming Wiki. Steam has not been updated and is only 32-bit, with DRM.