• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend recently gave me the incredible gift of a PS5. It was part of a bundle that included a second controller. I want to play some games together with her but when I search online for best couch co-op games on PS5, I don't get a ton of results. Maybe there's something for the PS4 that we could play through backwards compatibility? She's not a huge gamer, but she does enjoy Animal Crossing, StarCraft 2, GTAV, to name a few. Thanks for any recommendations!!

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Sackboy... Perfect couch co-op for someone with limited gaming experience.

Edit: Overcooked series is also a blast.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
You should play Haven with her. You play as a young couple in space and explore and do simple combat together.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw Dreams out there as well (PS4 BC) there are a bunch of cheesy (fun, hilarious) little coop games. And then Dreams is something you never know if the creative aspect of it will resonate with people who aren't otherwise gamers. It's pretty cool game for a non gamer because it's geared toward pick up and play, motion controls are more intuitive, a Netflix/YouTube design while browsing stuff.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Sackboy for now, but make sure to keep an eye out for It Takes Two. Looks like an incredibly charming local coop game. It will be released in March. You could also check out the last game from the same dev, it's called A Way Out (you can play the PS4 version on your PS5).

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Not sure if survival horror is her thing, and if it's not OK to mention this please remove mods, but I have two titles out natively for PS5 with couch co-op: Outbreak: The New Nightmare and Outbreak: Epidemic. My PS4 series is also playable via BC and several titles have couch co-op. Co-op modes in both PS5 run at 60FPS most of the time as well, so gameplay is pretty smooth.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
sackboy, overcooked and CoD Zombies are my favorite picks for couch co-op with my SO.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Some great suggestions already, but I'll add Minecraft Dungeons - PS4 game, but load times on PS5 are really nice. Very fun and simplified Diablo like game. Can adjust the difficulty to your liking. $20 for base game, but lots of DLC still coming out with new locales and gear.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Results will vary with your girlfriends (and your own) tolerance for ridiculously exaggerated and sexualized female body proportions and rythmically heaving bosoms. I could never take that game seriously myself, and would be embarrassed to play it with most people I know, regardless of gender.

It's a shame. There is a lot to like in it.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove! is pretty fun, it's gotten a ton of updates and has an upcoming one for these new consoles to bring it in line with the PC version.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Black Ops 3 zombies is my family's go to co-op game. My younger brother has been playing zombies with the rest of my family since he was like 4, so while BO3 is a bit more complex than the previous games it's still fun and has lots of variety. Great co-op fun for people of all skills at games

It's also in the PS5 PS+ collection

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Overcooked all you can eat. My wife and I have already played everything on PS4 but we are going through this again on PS5. It's one of the best couch co-op games out there. It also has an insane amount of content. Two full games and then tons of DLC's on it.

My wife is also not much of a gamer but she adores this.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Helldivers is an amazing and cruelly unforgiving co-op game. It's an incredible experience if you guys are up to the challenge.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
As others have said you're going to have more options with PS4 titles:
  • A lot of the Lego games are couch co-op and can be chilled out fun.
  • If you fancy something a bit faster paced then Rocket League supports coop play.
  • The Borderlands Handsome collection can be fun blasting and has a fairly long campaign
  • Crash Team Racing isn't quite Mario Kart but is still pretty decent.
Will second Sackboy for PS5, fairly chilled with some good tunes on a few of the levels

Dec 23, 2017
header.jpg

B-movie dialogue, split-screen coop, and online coop.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 3 is a lot of fun, my wife isn't really into shooters but we've been playing it together with another couple that we're friends with, each doing split screen on PS5 and it's been a great way to spend time together during the pandemic.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to say: Fortnite

it's Free, it's 2 player split screen and it's incredibly fun.

Jul 26, 2018
With my wife, we tried Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft, Diablo 3, Child of Morta, Titan Quest, Divinity Original Sins 2, Overcooked, Haven. I'm looking forward to the Stardew Valley update that will bring local coop (already out on PC, consoles to come).